Back
  Volume/Tone loss FX Loop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:37 am 

Well lads, had our first proper practice in a while and gave a run out for a couple of recent additions pedal-wise, namely Digitech Supernatural and Nautila pedals. Even engaging the FX loop and it's like a blanket was thrown over the cab. Went through my pedals and my boss ones are fine and the 2 Digitech ones seem to be the problem. It's only an isuue on the distorted channel, for some reason it doesn't affect the clean channel at all.

The pedals are powered by a cheapo Harley Benton Power Plant. I'm no electronics expert but could it be a case that this isn't giving sufficient power for these pedals. I'd find it odd as the Boss ones are fine, but as I say I'm no electronics expert...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:22 am 

Is it when both are used or just either of them?

In the short term, I'd be tempted to try a 9v battery in the supernatural and just have the Nautila on the power and see if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 am 

Ya, either of em. Well the fx loop works ok when the Nautila is in but when I switch that on, then the volume and tone loss kicks in. It seems very random to my mind but I'm sure there's rhyme and reason to it somehow. Practicing again this eve. Gonna use batteries for those effects and see how I go. Very annoying though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 am 

I know you mentioned having picked up a couple of AC adaptors from aliexpress. Have you tried powering the pedals with separate adapters and removing the powerplant from the list of suspects?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:12 pm 

I'll bring an adaptor this eve actually and try that separately. That'd be 3 sockets I'd need then. One daisy chain with pedals in front of amp, the power plant with Boss pedals, and this one for Digitech. Bit messy but I'd prefer to get to the bottom of it either way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:24 am 

Bollox anyway, even with its own power supply, once the pedal is in the loop at all it kills the tone, still! The Nautila is fine sort of. The tone drop only applies to the distorted channel, which it isn't used for anyway but still... Not ideal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:34 pm 

Maybe Moose might be able to shed some light on what might be causing it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:37 pm 

I'm just dreading the thoughts of having this issue with the Ocean Machine! After the Siege I'll try it thru my Mesa and see if that has the same issue.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm 

Just noticed I'm getting this too. The difference in volume between having the effects loop on and off is definitely noticeable. How did you sort your problems in the end?

Edit: played around with for a bit. The DD7 and RV5 are fine but I start noticing a little bit of a drop if I add many more than that. Might be the fact that they're daisy-chained. They're on a 1.7A supply so I'm thinking it shouldn't be power related but I'm open to correction on that. Artec Resovibe and BOSS Chorus seem to be the worst culprits for volume but might chance them on their own tonight and see how they get on.

On the plus side, I figured out how to properly use the Boss NS2 today...only took me the 2 years :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:37 pm 

On the Supernatural, there's a "trails" switch inside the pedal. I switched that off which puts it into true bypass and that got rid of the problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 am 

Balls. Was hoping it was power related.