Back
  Pedal Board Power Issues

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:25 am 

Tee wrote:
Hello all, I would appreciate a bit of help if possible. I'm having a similar problem to the OP with my Harley Benton powerplant jnr. The signal is getting through my pedals fine when they are all bypassed. Engaging any pedal results in the signal cutting out. All the pedals LEDs are lighting up nice and bright when turned on, so they are getting some power. I've tried powering different one/two/three pedal combinations to no avail. I've been using batteries for years, so its my first foray into using a pedal power unit.
The signal chain is guitar>tuner>proco rat>russian muff>red witch phaser>mxr carbon copy>amp
Cheers for any advice.

Had a quick look there and it shouldn't be anything to do with overloading, the phaser and delay are the highest draw pedals you have but but my count, you're only at around 60mA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:35 pm 

If the LEDs are lighting up I don't think it's a power issue but not sure what the problem is without having a look at it. Could you post a picture of your pedalboard/pedals all connected up?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:02 pm 

Thanks for the replies, I'm a long time lurker on here. I'll try and get a pic up as soon as. My rig is in the practice space at the minute.
I didn't think the draw would have been too much. I'm aware it isn't exactly a voodoo labs but the reviews seem to be good.

Stupid question but would it make any difference that I took all of the 9vs out before hooking it all up?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:38 pm 

Shouldn't need them so can't see why that would be a problem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:01 pm 

It's better practice to remove bacteries from pedals if you're not using them (the batteries).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:48 pm 

This should be a pic of my board

Not sure if I'm doing the link right.
Apologies, I haven't tidied the power cables underneath yet.

Last edited by Tee on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:16 pm 

To post an image put the path to the image between square bracketed img code -

[img]https://image.ibb.co/dJcHrc/IMG_20180318_WA0016.jpg[/img ] - remove the space before that last bracket

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:36 pm 

Tee wrote:
This should be a pic of my board

Not sure if I'm doing the link right.
Apologies, I haven't tidied the power cables underneath yet.

Easier to see this way. I'd start with unplugging power from the rat a and muff and see if the others are still cutting out then. If they're not then ad those two back in one and at a time.

Edit: sorry you've tried that. Have you tried single pedals powered?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:22 pm 

Yeah, I tried the big muff and the rat on their own too. Im going to have another hoke at it tonight.

Thanks again lads

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:46 pm 

Got it sorted, I think the tuner might have been have been doing something strange. I mustn't have tried it with it disconnected at the practice space. It seems to be a bit fucked. Should probably invest in a decent one anyway.
I'll need to finish off the board now.
Thanks for the help!

Do you reckon I'd be alright to cut the plug off the power unit and wire it up to a female kettle lead type connection moose?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:45 pm 

Going to throw in my own question here. I got a Boss Tu3 tuner that can power up to 8 pedals. I was reading up and it has a max draw of 200ma. I am planning on powering non boss pedals with it. Do I have to make sure they do not draw more than 200 and is there a limit on how much I should draw. Added up the pedals I am thinking of daisy chaining from it and they add up to 195ma.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:25 pm 

Having done the daisy-chaining thing I'd never go back to it. Even cheap power supplies on aliexpress got rid of a huge amount of noise in comparison. I'd be afraid of damaging pedals if the draw was too high. Moose or someone might fill you in on that side of things as I wouldn't be an expert.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:18 am 

Managed to blow a resistor on the the powered board I used to use by overloading it. I imagine overloading the tuner would be similar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:01 pm 

Andy82 wrote:
Going to throw in my own question here. I got a Boss Tu3 tuner that can power up to 8 pedals. I was reading up and it has a max draw of 200ma. I am planning on powering non boss pedals with it. Do I have to make sure they do not draw more than 200 and is there a limit on how much I should draw. Added up the pedals I am thinking of daisy chaining from it and they add up to 195ma.

Daisy chaining off the tuner is no different to just daisy chaining off a power supply. The 8 figure is just pulled out of the air. Max draw for the tuner is what the tuner draws but that doesn't sound right. The real question is what power supply are you using with the tuner and does that have 200mA available?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:03 pm 

Tee wrote:
Got it sorted, I think the tuner might have been have been doing something strange. I mustn't have tried it with it disconnected at the practice space. It seems to be a bit fucked. Should probably invest in a decent one anyway.
I'll need to finish off the board now.
Thanks for the help!

Do you reckon I'd be alright to cut the plug off the power unit and wire it up to a female kettle lead type connection moose?

Yeah no problem. I've cut all mine and replaced them Irish plugs but the female kettle/IEC is a better solution I reckon.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next