Back
  EVH 5150 LBX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:22 am 

Anyone played through one of these? Was going to pick one up online soon (going for £432 plus cab for the older model) - just curious if anyone had any experience with them (good or bad!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:27 pm 

I've had the first version (blue and red chanels) for about 6 month now and I love it. I plug it through a 2×12 V30 Engl cab and the thing sounds huge!

Great crunchy/saturated tones, love the blue chanel, got that massive kinda 'full' sound that I was what I was looking for.

Not designed for clean sounds but that's not the purpose of the amp. I know that the 2nd version (the one with the green chanel) is meant to bring a clean chanel to the amp but I've never tried it and I was never convinced by the video reviews.

Although it's only 15W it is a loud beast. I've had a 40W Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 and the EVH sounds about 10 times louder. I can barely turn the volume knob over 1 at home. I was able to go to 5-6 during rehearsal once but that's about it really!

Never found any shop that would stock it in Dublin - despite all their promises... - so I had to order it online before even trying it, which I don't like to do as I've had bad experiences in the past and also because I think it's better to support local shops and jobs but that's just my opinion.