Back
  Pedals for switching between amps going to the same cab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:10 pm 

Looking at switcher pedals that allow you to use 1 cab with 2 amps. There is the ToneBone Radical headbone that seems to do the job. But there are different versions for tube and solid state.

Anyone use anything like this and could give me an idea of what I should be considering when buying one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:38 am 

Looks pretty cool but could think of better ways to part with €300 :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:31 pm 

There's no cheap solution to this unfortunately.

The problem is that amps power sections NEED a load. And they put out a serious amount of power.

A simple A/b box would both get fried and your amp's power section wouldn't see a load so you'd fry your output transformer.

Your best bet would either use 2 cabs or use both sides of a stereo cab. Even the trusty old Marshall 1960 can do this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 am 

Dont have the space for another cab so that is out.

The cab I do have is a 1X12 but it has a left and right input. For a stereo cab would it need at least 2 speakers in the cab or could I plug both amps into the cab and then have an a/b box in front of the amp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:51 pm 

Radial ABY Bigshot
https://youtu.be/kwF_u72ESHc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:57 pm 

Andy82 wrote:
Looking at switcher pedals that allow you to use 1 cab with 2 amps. There is the ToneBone Radical headbone that seems to do the job. But there are different versions for tube and solid state.

Anyone use anything like this and could give me an idea of what I should be considering when buying one.

Use the one designed for the type of heads you have and do not use a regular ABY pedal. Palmer do one that works with all heads but still guts of 300 euro. Nice description of what's going on there too:

http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/TIN ... PTINOS.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:08 pm 

Looking at these don't think I can justify the price for the use I would get out of them. Might see if I can pick one up second hand.

Cheers for the replies.