Back
  Gear Leeches

Page: Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:59 pm 

We headlined a show in Derry a while back, we are a one guitar band, 2 2 guitar bands were opening. I made a group chat to discuss backline etc a few days before the show and said I would bring a cab everyone could use, just bring a head and could they sort out the second amp between them.

Turns out, none of the guitarists in the other bands owned amps. 4 guitarists, no amps. They ended up asking to use my head and borrowed a combo amp from a practice room. I also happen to know one of the guitarists has been referenced in this thread already too haha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:08 pm 

Leigh M. wrote:
if6was9 wrote:
I've another one where I lent a band an amp at a festival I organised. It was a rack setup that was out of the rack, as I was playing with my own band at the same time. So after my set I go there and am told the guy used a short lead, got carried away with rocking out and accidentally pulled my amp off the full stack onto the floor. Tubes were smashed, power lead was ripped off the case with innards hanging out. In short, fucked. The guy said sorry but never gave me a penny in compensation. 2 months later we're playing with the same band. He starts making jokes about my still broken amp. Not cool at all. I spent nearly as much as the amp cost getting it working again.

Just gonna address this as I'd like to clear the air. I am said guy, worst gig I ever played, my confidence was completely shook after it, so much so that I never play without taping all my cables to the stage now. I remember standing in the tiny room to the side of the stage, offering to pay you and also explaining that I repair musical equipment for a living and could fix it for you, which you declined. I wouldn't have ever dreamed of joking about it with you had I not already thought the air had been cleared between us, so if it came across in a negative way I apologise, I hope theres no Ill feelings between us over what seems to be a miscommunication. If theres anything I can do, send me a PM.

Water under the bridge, that was like 5 years ago at this point!

I hadn't even seen the amp or been properly told what had happened when I met you on the night and you made the offer, I was literally just after stepping off stage myself! Could hardly have gone looking for you asking for money after that point. S'all good at this stage.

Anyways, I have LOADS more of these stories. I lend out my gear for the Bad Rep stuff when it's needed and people treat borrowed gear like DIRT. I've had 3-4 bass cabs blown, drum hardware gutted for no apparent reason, cymbals stood on and bent inside out, had guitar pedals stolen after they were borrowed, I've had several people turn my amps on FULL volume. Had loads of guys leave my amp on when they finished their set, suddenly it was my problem to turn it off and get it out of the way for the next band?

Lets get started on bass gear. I'd say roughly 1 in 3 bands who come through Limerick for metal gigs who are told to bring a head show up without one. It's gotten to the point with it now where I don't even get mad anymore. They usually don't even ASK to borrow something, they just show up and start plugging into shit.

I have a sansamp->PA Poweramp-> Cab bass setup. So it's a little bit more complicated than just plug in and turn up. Had a guy not 2 weeks ago turn up without the head he was asked to bring. So I let him use this setup. I set it to as loud as was safe- it can clip pretty easily and it does't take much clipping to blow a cab. I left the stage and noticed the red clip night in the crowd a minute later- I went back up and he'd DIMED it. I reset it, explained it again and turned around. He started hitting the bass strings as hard as he could with his full hand. Of course the amp started to clip at this ridiculous technique so I went back over and turned it down even futher, much to the bass players dismay. I wish I'd gotten this one on camera as it was absolutely ridiculous. There's no way he wasn't trying to break my stuff.

Could be a controversial opinion here but it's mostly Dublin based bands who are guilty of showing up without gear in my experience. A fair whack of guys playing in bands there don't actually own a giggable rig. They use whatever amps are in their rehearsal places and then use the house amps in the 2-3 venues they usually play. So when they play a show outside of fibbers/on the rox they literally don't have the gear for it. The idea of travelling further than a few miles with an amp seems insane to others. As in, they can't wrap their head around the idea of throwing a few bits of gear into the same car you're travelling in. I've actually had several people say basically this to me as a reason why they aren't bringing gear to a show.

The biggest travesty of all is with drummers. There must be some sort of unwritten code that if you're playing a kit then you MUST leave the next drummer with less cymbal felts, wing nuts and the other basic things needed for a stand to function. I've spent a small fortune replacing this stuff between gigs. It's especially uncool at the festivals where the headline bands are the ones left without the gear they need.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:18 pm 

I must say I've also been the guy who accidentally showed up without things.

i played a gig in Cobh a couple of months ago and in the packing of the cars we accidentally left my guitar behind! The promoter was sound and his friend brought in a lovely Ibanex Jem for me to do the gig on. I felt like a right twat for leaving my guitar behind!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 pm 

Just on that, I turned up to a gig one night and was asked if one of the guys in the other bands could use one of my guitars as I'd (as always) brought two with me. I'll lend anybody whatever gear I have if I'm asked as I've had to borrow gear plenty of times myself. However, on the gig in question the two guitars I'd bought with me were both custom-built jobs (for clarity, rebuilt to my spec from the ground up using a basic body as a start point, not factory custom builds) and even though they're harldy the most expensive guitars in the world they're very valuable to me so I'm quite precious about them. I hummed and ha'd about it for a bit, turns out the guy had a perfectly serviceable guitar with him and just fancied a chop at one of mine because he thought they were quite saucy. Naaaaaah mate!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:41 am 

I played a stand-in gig where I had removed the most treble orientated strings of the bass, not A D G cos I can't remember what the other one was tuned down to but you know what I mean. It was a very sludgy, doomy thing and I was getting into the spirit of it. No high notes would be played. The bassist from another band, a complete stranger, came in at the last minute looking to borrow my bass for his gig because he didn't actually have a bass of his own :lol:

I said "Sure, no problem" and took my one-stringed bass out of the case, ah you should have seen his face. Turns out he was the picky sort, too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:10 pm 

Juggz wrote:
I played a stand-in gig where I had removed the most treble orientated strings of the bass, not A D G cos I can't remember what the other one was tuned down to but you know what I mean. It was a very sludgy, doomy thing and I was getting into the spirit of it. No high notes would be played. The bassist from another band, a complete stranger, came in at the last minute looking to borrow my bass for his gig because he didn't actually have a bass of his own :lol:

I said "Sure, no problem" and took my one-stringed bass out of the case, ah you should have seen his face. Turns out he was the picky sort, too.

Thats gold!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:54 pm 

if6was9 wrote:
Lets get started on bass gear. I'd say roughly 1 in 3 bands who come through Limerick for metal gigs who are told to bring a head show up without one. It's gotten to the point with it now where I don't even get mad anymore. They usually don't even ASK to borrow something, they just show up and start plugging into shit.

Our little 100w Fender Rumble has dug out a few bands in the Kasbah so far. :lol:

In fairness I don't mind letting people use anything so long as they mind it and ask in advance. We've been looked after a fair few times at gigs, always through planning, and generally have only needed cabs. We were asked to use the heads provided at a gig in cork and at the Templemore Metal Fest because it allowed for an easier and faster set up, But again we brought everything we needed Just in case.

Turning up without heads or instruments, and without asking to sort anything out first, is just poor form, unless an organised plan fell through.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 am 

One of my worst (Because I was made to look like a fucking arsehole) was some years back supporting a touring band. There were two Irish supports on the bill that night so it was up to those bands to iron out the backline for the supports.

We made it easy for them, we had a van hired and were bringing our entire backline. We told the other lads that all they had to bring were their heads and usual drum bits. Reasonable I thought. Of course, on email that was a fantastic arrangement, the lads had their heads sorted not a bother. On the night one of the guitarists walks up to me and in front of everyone present asks me if he can use my head. I asked him where his was and reminded him of his agreement on email and the response was that he had to take the bus in. One of our own members took the bus up from Cork that day and still managed to bring his head so I had no time for it. So after having a small fit I reluctantly agreed to loan the head to them under the condition that not a single dial or setting be touched. I'll never forget the moans of the guitarist when they did their soundcheck, whining and complaining about the sound/tone not being what he was used to. You reckon???

Thing is, in a lot of cases like this the owner of the equipment comes off looking and being labeled as a "Rockstar" or even just a wanker.

There's two reasons for not loaning equipment I think.

1. I've spent €2,000+ on a head and cab, why the fuck would I loan a head to people I don't know, purely because they couldn't be arsed themselves?

2.I've spent the time having it sound the way I like it, again why would you loan it to someone who inevitably will think the sound is wrong and fiddle with every dial on the fucking thing?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
There's two reasons for not loaning equipment I think.

1. I've spent €2,000+ on a head and cab, why the fuck would I loan a head to people I don't know, purely because they couldn't be arsed themselves?

2.I've spent the time having it sound the way I like it, again why would you loan it to someone who inevitably will think the sound is wrong and fiddle with every dial on the fucking thing?

I agree with you but I don't see the point in lending someone your head and then demanding the settings not be touched?

Either say yes or no when asked. If you say yes, then take a photo of your settings on your phone, or have them wrote down somewhere and pop it into your gear bag and prepare yourself to return to stage to set up from scratch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:15 am 

my 'good' bass never leaves the house. All gigs played with a 'crap' bass...even though it's actually great, it's no big deal to lend it or if it breaks.

lesson: leave your good stuff at home, most of the audience won't have the ears to appreciate an expensive pedal or guitar or amp etc...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 pm 

If you don't play and enjoy the good stuff there's no point in having it. Equipment is there to be used and, really, you should respect your audience and your bandmates enough to give them your best every time.

The consistent theme running through this thread is that we all seem to be happy to share gear with people who show respect and act with a modicum of responsibility (i.e. talk and agree in advance so everybody knows who's bringing what). Perhaps it's an Irish thing where we feel we have to be accomodating even though we are uncomfortable trusting our gear with the kind of shitehawks we have all encountered. If you're compromising your gear (and, therefore, your sound and the sound and presentation of your band) out of fear of looking like a cunt if you tell some spa to fuck off and his band don't get to play, perhaps we all need to toughen up a bit. Maybe it's time the spas don't get to play?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:42 am 

I remember playing a gig in Dublin once where I'd been in a different part of the venue catching up with mates while another band played. Walked in for the last tune to see that they had hauled my JCM and cab onstage and plugged a fucking bass into it.

To make things worse, the guitarist was playing through a spider line 6 combo thing.

There was a rare amount of stupid in the room that night, you'd think the soundman would have copped it at least and said something.

Another night in the UK I remember watching a decent show from a local band (having played earlier) and thinking it was cool that the guitarist had the same type of guitar as me... Took awhile for the penny to drop.

I'm not as flippant with my gear as I used to be. Glad to help genuine people out, but I rarely leave things to chance anymore. Some right assholes out there

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:53 pm 

*The Dead* wrote:
I remember playing a gig in Dublin once where I'd been in a different part of the venue catching up with mates while another band played. Walked in for the last tune to see that they had hauled my JCM and cab onstage and plugged a fucking bass into it.

To make things worse, the guitarist was playing through a spider line 6 combo thing.

There was a rare amount of stupid in the room that night, you'd think the soundman would have copped it at least and said something.

Another night in the UK I remember watching a decent show from a local band (having played earlier) and thinking it was cool that the guitarist had the same type of guitar as me... Took awhile for the penny to drop.

I'm not as flippant with my gear as I used to be. Glad to help genuine people out, but I rarely leave things to chance anymore. Some right assholes out there

fuck me that's taking the piss...it really is...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:22 pm 

*The Dead* wrote:
...to see that they had hauled my JCM and cab onstage and plugged a fucking bass into it...

...watching a decent show from a local band (having played earlier) and thinking it was cool that the guitarist had the same type of guitar as me... Took awhile for the penny to drop.

Fuck sake... they are fucking miles away from being acceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:47 pm 

Juggz wrote:
If you don't play and enjoy the good stuff there's no point in having it. Equipment is there to be used and, really, you should respect your audience and your bandmates enough to give them your best every time.

The consistent theme running through this thread is that we all seem to be happy to share gear with people who show respect and act with a modicum of responsibility (i.e. talk and agree in advance so everybody knows who's bringing what). Perhaps it's an Irish thing where we feel we have to be accomodating even though we are uncomfortable trusting our gear with the kind of shitehawks we have all encountered. If you're compromising your gear (and, therefore, your sound and the sound and presentation of your band) out of fear of looking like a cunt if you tell some spa to fuck off and his band don't get to play, perhaps we all need to toughen up a bit. Maybe it's time the spas don't get to play?

Nah, I don't agree there. it's just not practical to bring my best gear to practice or a show. Just my view though

Page: Previous  1, 2