Back
  Gear Leeches

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 pm 

Anyone else tired of them?

Nothing worse than showing up to a gig and having every prick on the bill looking to use your head etc. I always try iron out the arrangements beforehand but the excuses on the night have been coming thick and fast lately, the dog got sick on it, I had to get the bus, it broke before I left the house.

The two things that bug me most is if you end up giving an amp head or something a gear wanker they're whining four minutes later because things don't sound like it should for them.

But the ultimate is that you look like an arsehole or the bad guy if you refuse!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:03 pm 

Aye, I hate that kind of shite. Gear fails and anyone can need a dig-out at short notice, which is cool and I always try to help, but lads showing up without gear is bad juju. Back in the pre-internet age I bought a Rickenbacker bass which cost me a fucking fortune, had saved for ages to afford it, my dream bass. At one of my first gigs with it, the bassist from another band came up and asked to borrow it. He forgot his bass. How can you go to a gig as a musician and forget your instrument? How can you trust someone who forgets their instrument? I let him use it for their soundcheck but told him to have a taxi ready to go home to get his own bass for their set.

The ungrateful cunts are the worst, though. During a soundcheck just a few years back, the guitarist from another band's head blew. He asked to borrow mine. Fine, no problem. They were on first so he used it for their set, too. Afterwards? Not a word. No "thank you", no anything. Cunt.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:57 pm 

Yeah, it's thankless. Half the cunts don't even appreciate it!

And just to clarify, I'd never see someone stuck. Amps blow, equipment fails but I've become much more pig headed about it as I've gotten older. When you have a family etc it takes twice the effort to do this so I do be in no humour of anyone's bollocks "my amp is too heavy to put in the car"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:30 pm 

It's simple, bring your own shit unless other arrangements have previously been made.

Played a gig a few years ago. Was driving down the venue with my drummer and we get a text from another band asking us if they could borrow our gear, 2 hours before the gig. Wasn't having any of it. Not my fucking problem that you can't be arsed to make arrangements to bring down gear.

Same gig, 3 days earlier, got a message from one of the bass players from another band. Extremely polite about the situation and asking if he could have a lend of my gear as their arrangements had fallen through. Not a single bother on my end. After they had done their set, got thanked and told that I could use his head at any of the gigs we'd play in the future if I'd want.

I am completely understanding towards shit happening but if you're not willing to put in the effort to begin with then just fuck off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:55 pm 

I'd never like to see anyone stuck at a gig as I'd hate for that to happen to me.

But the absolute worst is when bands turn up and just assume they're using your backline without even asking. I had a gig once where we had soundchecked and had all our gear set up and the opening band just plugged into our backline without a word being said.
I've generally no problem with lending gear if people ask first, but don't assume because it's there its free to use. And if you do use it, be polite and ask if its ok to change settings etc.

I once had someone ask our drummer for a lend of cymbals as he "forgot" his, which I can't understand...but then five minutes later he asked again if he could borrow drumsticks as he "forgot" his. I'm surprised he even remembered to show up for the gig himself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:26 pm 

This infuriates me! I see it loads in non metal gigs aswell, the amount of young lad bands who expect to rock up to a gig with just a guitar is brain melting!

I was supporting a touring US punk band a couple of years back. No sharing of back line with the main and co main. Sure, we brought everything we needed for our 3 piece band- guitar, bass and drums. Other support rocks in with NO amps at all. They have 2 guitarists, we only have 1. They ask to use our stuff and I say no because I was using a pedalboard and rack setup, not user friendly at all. They freaked out, we need it, can't play without it blah blah blah. So I pulled my gear apart and rigged up 2 guitar rigs and a bass rig out of what I brought. A fucking miracle. They then complained about it not sounding right, can I make it more this, more that. I got no thanks at all from them or the promoter even though they begged me to help them out. We weren't even local, we totally saved the show and for literally nothing.

I've another one where I lent a band an amp at a festival I organised. It was a rack setup that was out of the rack, as I was playing with my own band at the same time. So after my set I go there and am told the guy used a short lead, got carried away with rocking out and accidentally pulled my amp off the full stack onto the floor. Tubes were smashed, power lead was ripped off the case with innards hanging out. In short, fucked. The guy said sorry but never gave me a penny in compensation. 2 months later we're playing with the same band. He starts making jokes about my still broken amp. Not cool at all. I spent nearly as much as the amp cost getting it working again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:25 am 

if6was9 wrote:
I've another one where I lent a band an amp at a festival I organised. It was a rack setup that was out of the rack, as I was playing with my own band at the same time. So after my set I go there and am told the guy used a short lead, got carried away with rocking out and accidentally pulled my amp off the full stack onto the floor. Tubes were smashed, power lead was ripped off the case with innards hanging out. In short, fucked. The guy said sorry but never gave me a penny in compensation. 2 months later we're playing with the same band. He starts making jokes about my still broken amp. Not cool at all. I spent nearly as much as the amp cost getting it working again.

Jesus that is not cool at all :evil:
There really should be a name and shame list with dopes like that.

Promoters and bands who have to deal with his band should be made aware of the attitude and before they confirm booking the band, a warning should be issued.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 am 

No need for name and shame, a lot of these leeches use this forum!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:32 pm 

I'll quite happily see a band stuck if their attitude stinks that much. I've walked onstage during soundchecks and lifted my amp head off the cab because I wasn't asked in the past. Bring your own equipment next time, or ask if you're not able to. My amp is worth more to me than your show, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 pm 

I'll never see a band stuck if they seem genuine and I think at just about every gig we've done at home or abroad I've either given a loan of my head to another band or at the very least offered it. I can understand how difficult it can be for a band to carry their backline, especially if they're coming from overseas and I know for younger bands it can be next to impossible to get the cash together for a decent valve head so I try to be accommodating but fuck me I've met some self centered spastics in my time.

One night one of my previous bands did a gig in Fibbers and we provided the full backline for all the bands (as was often the norm for "headliners" back in the day in Fibbers). The band who were on before us went full retard during their set and managed to not only obliterate the input on the back of my cab but also blow the bass amp and put their kick drum pedal through the skin. No apologies, no explanations and no offers of compensation. To make matters worse their drunken dickhead of a bassist caused a scene outside where he cornered our bassist and accused him of stealing their drummer's pedal and wouldn't stop until our bassist emptied the contents of his bag. Absolute spastics who didn't last pissing time but managed to annoy a lot of people in their short life span.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:25 am 

if6was9 wrote:

Just gonna address this as I'd like to clear the air. I am said guy, worst gig I ever played, my confidence was completely shook after it, so much so that I never play without taping all my cables to the stage now. I remember standing in the tiny room to the side of the stage, offering to pay you and also explaining that I repair musical equipment for a living and could fix it for you, which you declined. I wouldn't have ever dreamed of joking about it with you had I not already thought the air had been cleared between us, so if it came across in a negative way I apologise, I hope theres no Ill feelings between us over what seems to be a miscommunication. If theres anything I can do, send me a PM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:54 am 

There is nothing worse than gear leeches. If you have an issue with your own gear/lack of gear sort it out in the chat well before the gig. If something blows or breaks during or before a set that is different but the thought of someone turning up to a show without an instrument is ridiculous.
Also, it's really shitty when people mistreat backline. Had a show on tour once where someone spilt a can of monster over my head, broke the input in my cab and then on the next date of the tour I pulled my guitar out of its case and found out that someone must've mishandled it backstage and snapped the neck. Fucking dicks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 pm 

I've seen the gear borrowing attitude happen a lot now. So many bands are trying to downsize their rig because they are either bussing it around or don't have the money for heads. I know a few who's entire sound comes from pedal more a less and will just plug into whatever head they can find or borrow on the show. (Most of them are sound about it though and know how to use the amp)

I was on that side for a while just because I couldn't afford a head and couldn't transport my combo around on buses. Difference was I was very thankful, bought drinks when I could, and wasn't afraid to ask how to set up an amp I wasn't familiar with.

Now I'm on the opposite side and probably half the gigs I play I lend out my head (usual conditions though. Ya break it ya buy it, and only to people I know, and I'd appreciate a drink afterwards haha). Only really bad experience I had was one lad asking to borrow my head, but while we soundchecked he started making fun of my set up. Shoulda told him to fuck off and bring his own head next time in retrospect.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:57 pm 

This is a topic dear to me. I am a total gearhead - I'd never feel right about spending 50/60 quid on beer on a night out but i'd have no problem spending 100 quid on a pedal that I might have use for! :)
I've been gigging over 20 years now and while I have often used other people gear, I was always very respectful about it with the exception of once. My first and only time I took it for granted.
A Saturday day time gig in old Fibbers (who remembers those??) - I walked in with a bass drum (with the intention of adding it to whatever kit the other band brought so I'd be metal with two bass drums!), snare drum, 1 rack tom and my cymbals, pedals and sticks) - I bused it in with all this crap. I was about 17 maybe.
I walked in and just asked the drummer that brought the kick to hit his kick drum so that I could tune my drum to match his somewhat.
That was enough for him to take a dislike to me.
That band played their set and took all their gear and left to a massive booing from all that was there, particularly the soundman.
With barely any gear, we fashioned what we could with the tiny practice amp we brought and the few drum bits and bobs. (we turned a barstool upside down and used it as a snare stand, we taped pens to sweeping brushes and used them as cymbal stands - some dude just stood there and held the rack tom in his feckin hands!) - the bass and second guitar were DI'ed.
Ya get the point - everyone pitched in to save the rock show, it sounded truly awful but it was one of the best gigs I've ever played. A real vibe in the place.
Ever since then, I've just assumed people are dicks and won't give you anything so best to plan for that and bring everything.

Over the years, I've loosened up and made plans with other bands playing to split the gear responsibility, most of the time I had my trust rewarded but every now and then...you just get that band that are just too rock n'roll and show up with literally nothing...not even a plec!
Seriously, this one drummer came up to me once to ask can he just use my kit as is because he wanted to drink tonight so he didn't want to be dragging his snare, cymbals, sticks and pedal around with him.

It's been said before but I'll echo the sentiment, shit does go wrong now and again and I'll never see someone stuck but that band (or band member) that makes zero effort - I'd have no problem telling them to fuck off!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 pm 

Yup, totally grinds my gears.

Its actually happened to me many times esp with young bands, a couple of occasions the guitarist actually just walked up to my rig and plugged in without asking (or even acknowledging my existence).

Once, I shit you not, guy plugs into my rig and starts playing while out smoking. So when I see him I'm a bit pissed but give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him an opportunity to at least introduce himself by interrupting him and explaining how my amp switches etc work.

Said ballbag then gets arsey and says "aye man, gone watch out Im tryin to soundcheck here"! :lol:

Page: 1, 2  Next