Back
  Distortion pedal recommendations?

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:19 am 

Not really sure where to begin as I am utterly useless when it comes to knowing what's what in terms of gear but Malthusian are in the studio in a few weeks and I want to pick up a pedal before I go in. I want a guitar tone like a bulldozer covered in nettles. What should I be looking for. Not really into the generic Swedeath sound either, I want something that has that ripping power but also has depth... I haven't a clue where to even start... Help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:35 am 

I'd suggest checking out the ProGuitarShop, ThatPedalShow, Rob Chapman, Pete Thorn & Rabea Massaad channels on youtube. Their demos are generally excellent and should help you narrow down the field a bit.

If you're feeling particularly patient, there's also the EytschPi42 channel.

http://guitarbox.co.uk/ also deals in some of the more boutique-ish pedals and most of the listings come with demo vids. Loopersparadise.de is along the same lines.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 am 

I'd just go with a Turbo Rat, or any of the RAT family in general. They're relatively cheap, they're built like a tank, and utterly reliable. Added to an already slightly distorted amp with the pedal distortion rolled down a bit is where they really work for me. I've gone back to using one and I really don't think I'll need to use another distortion pedal for Vircolac anyway. Music Maker and Jimis in Kimmage stock them as well as the usual Thomann type places.

If you're prepared to go for a fancy schmancy expensive job I'd so try the Walrus Audio Red distortion, they have them in Music maker in town. Covers a lot of crunchier/highgain/metally sounds. Hearing good things about the KMA Worm which can do the HM2 thing but isn't limited to it.

The new Wampler "Dracarys" looks cool. Their Triple Wreck might be what you're after too. Their "Catapulp" which is based around the distortion on an Orange amp sounds great too, saw one in Xmusic recently, costly enough though.

Joe Deegan was raving about his Tight Metal pedal to me recently, and I know he's quite particular about his gear too. Maybe have a chat to him about that.

I'd say the best Youtube channel for the kinda thing you're looking for might be Mrexcane. All his vids are him playing downtuned riffs, no inane waffling or Denis Kayzer style wanking. Just straight ahead "this is how vicious this distortion pedal can get" stuff
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrExcane

I'd be extremely wary at this stage of any "boutique" pedals or custom built jobs if you plan on bringing them on the road though. They're awkward to get fixed and costly to replace. I've been through a few, the last one of which (a second hand Okko Dominator which you'll have heard at practice Andy) pretty much died on stage in Limerick a few weeks back. Also some of them if you're buying from the builders (Lone Wolf, Abominable, etc) will take a long time to deliver because of the building process.

check out fuzzmonster.dk and effekt-boutique.de maybe. I've ordered on several occasions from both.

Last edited by pentagrimes on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:07 am 

Cheers dudes. I'll check out those links :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:08 am 

Feel free to fire me a mail or a whatsapp if you want me to nerd out further bud. There's a lot to consider when buying this stuff and it took me forever to figure it out, so happy to be able to let someone else potentially learn from my mistakes :lol:

The main thing is to not automatically presume a basic shop bought pedal is any less stellar than some fancy boutique job. You just need to know what to look for.

Last edited by pentagrimes on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:08 am 

I really like the Empress Effects Heavy pedal for versatility - I'd say that into any Marshall would sound killer or even the Boneshaker distortion pedal for lower tunings - even bass guitar.

Haven't tried it but the PisdiYAUwot pedal (tight and focused with a wide range of hi-gain as opposed to fizzy, muddy and compressed if that's what your aiming for). I've heard any RAT pedal is savage too.

Check out what other bands you like the tone of have gear wise. For example -> Portal - Swarth - Bogner Triple Giant thru Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 (ABY Pedal) mixed with a Peavey 6505. Mids & highs of the Bogner at around 1 or 2 O'clock, and the Lows at 1 O'clock, exclusively thru the Sharp Gain channel. The 6505 was used to fill out the tone with more dirt and fatness.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:19 am 

Portal have a savage tone but I think they have been a bit overly replicated lately. Plus, I'm thinking something looser sounding if that makes sense. Blown out to fuck but with clarity and bite haha. Fuck, I dunno. Maybe I just need to kick in the speaker on my amp and see what happens!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:53 am 

Check out the Little Bear r.attack pedal. I've about 20 different dirt boxes and this is the one I keep coming back to. They're cheap on aliexpress or eBay. Like 35 euro or less new. I know one lad who snagged one for 10 euro on ebay!
They're a rat with a 3 way switch for changing between vintage rat, turbo rat and you dirty rat. Super aggressive but not like a hm2, very full distortion. The filter knob has a large sweep, works a bit differently to a tone knob.

If you dig the Russian muff style sound check out the Moen Fuzz Moo. I've a/b'd mine with my actual Russian muff and they were very very close. Again, they're about 40 quid new.

A lot of distortion pedals marketed for metal players are shite I find. So many are tinny, buzzy sounding with unusable levels of noise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:13 am 

Cheers. Going in to town today so I'll try and get a go of one of these!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:14 pm 

Give me some Rat recommendations, dudes!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:01 pm 

Turbo rat. Or look at S& K pedal few threads down. Acts as both pre amp or distortion pedal. Based on old Ampeg heads that early 90's death metal & Grind bands used.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:09 pm 

Moose will be able to clarify, but I think his Grouch and Battlehammer pedals are based on Rats.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:17 pm 

Cheers Steo!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 pm 

Do you want someone to set it up and play on the record for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:42 pm 

Ideally yeah. I haven't booked the week off work and I'd like to save on petrol.

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next