Back
  Distortion pedal recommendations?
    
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3


User avatar

Joined:
May 2011
Posts:
3640
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:


Cheesetastic!


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Nov 2011
Posts:
1305
Location:
Under a pointy hat.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:31 pm 

I'm late to this party I know - but for your sound (and to increase it and your tonal options) I would recommend a Weehbo Morbid Drive.
http://www.weehbo.com/products/morbid-drive/


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
May 2011
Posts:
3640
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:33 pm 

Contemplating going down this rabbit hole....

Interested in possibly replacing the distortions on my amps with a pedal. I'd be looking at something of sufficient quality to do so, so I don't mind spending a few quid. I know the purists tend to say to stick with amp distortion but I want a consistent sound regardless of the amp I use. Additionally, my Line 6 M5 has kinda taken over the space of a couple of pedals which has freed up space on my board, so instead of having a footswitch in front of/beside the board I'd now get everything on to the board.

I suppose I'd be looking at modernish high gain. Not gnarly, fizzy type stuff but something with a nice bit of heft. I've checked out a few things like the Mesa Throttle Box which to my ears lacks a nice bit of heft that I was expecting. Similar with the Wampler Dracarys. The Keeley Filaments seems pretty good but it's very pedal-sounding. The most impressive one I've come across is the Empress Heavy.

Any other suggestions or am I in fact better off with amp distortion?


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Mar 2006
Posts:
3788
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:28 pm 

Emphyrio wrote:
Contemplating going down this rabbit hole....

Interested in possibly replacing the distortions on my amps with a pedal. I'd be looking at something of sufficient quality to do so, so I don't mind spending a few quid. I know the purists tend to say to stick with amp distortion but I want a consistent sound regardless of the amp I use. Additionally, my Line 6 M5 has kinda taken over the space of a couple of pedals which has freed up space on my board, so instead of having a footswitch in front of/beside the board I'd now get everything on to the board.

I suppose I'd be looking at modernish high gain. Not gnarly, fizzy type stuff but something with a nice bit of heft. I've checked out a few things like the Mesa Throttle Box which to my ears lacks a nice bit of heft that I was expecting. Similar with the Wampler Dracarys. The Keeley Filaments seems pretty good but it's very pedal-sounding. The most impressive one I've come across is the Empress Heavy.

Any other suggestions or am I in fact better off with amp distortion?


The OBNE Fault is worth a look. The Revv G3 sounded fairly decent as well when Ola Englund demoed it. Have an EHX Metal Muff that I'd prob sell if you were interested in going down that road.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Sep 2008
Posts:
5716
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:04 am 

precision drive or AMT P2 are you only man for modern dirt. for some reason the mesa pedals have never been any good, the throttle box was wimpy and the v-twin was even worse. for Mesa-ish stuff, the Tech 21 US Steel was about the best of the bunch


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
May 2011
Posts:
3640
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:30 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:

The OBNE Fault is worth a look. The Revv G3 sounded fairly decent as well when Ola Englund demoed it. Have an EHX Metal Muff that I'd prob sell if you were interested in going down that road.


Had a look at the Fault. I like the 2nd gain channel idea but it's more an OD that can be pushed into distortion territory to my ears.

I do like the G3 but it seems to be mired in controversy concerning paid-for reviews. I suppose at the end of the day I don't give too much of a shit about that if it sounds good, which to be fair it does. It's probably in my top 3 currently.

As I already have the Russian muff, and this would be my main distortion, I don't want too many flavours off muff ( :shock: ) on my board.

Leather Mike wrote:
precision drive or AMT P2 are you only man for modern dirt. for some reason the mesa pedals have never been any good, the throttle box was wimpy and the v-twin was even worse. for Mesa-ish stuff, the Tech 21 US Steel was about the best of the bunch


Ya, I was wondering was it just me about that thought the Mesa pedals sounded weak.

Those AMT pedals are designed for the FX loop of an amp so unfortunately that automatically rules them out for the way I'd be using my rig. Pity, cos they're pretty cheap in the grand schem of things.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Mar 2006
Posts:
3788
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:34 am 

For what it's worth, the Fault is now my main distortion pedal for non-death metal stuff. I have the Soul Food and Big Muff Pi for my ODs but the Fault sounds great for thrashy distortion...to my ears anyway. Metal Muff is kinda similar in that they both really need the 2nd button boost to get you where you want to be but I can live with that. Metal Muff is still a great sounding pedal but the Fault replaced it instantly.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Sep 2008
Posts:
5716
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:06 am 

The AMTs run quite nicely as a regular distortion pedal (they have two outputs, one for using as a preamp and one for using it like a regular pedal) but you'll need to gate them quite stiffly, as they are one loudy boi


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Jul 2005
Posts:
2779
Location:
Earrach dubh
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:40 pm 

Amt also just have "regular" versions of their pedals too. No preamp output.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
May 2011
Posts:
3640
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:51 pm 

Hmmm, interesting. I might investigate those.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Jul 2005
Posts:
2779
Location:
Earrach dubh
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 pm 

https://amt-sales.com/drive-series/


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
1343
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:07 am 

Have you tried a Rat type distortion Eoin? They're pretty great at a big ampish distortion into a clean amp. Different enough sounding from a Muff too to warrant having both on a board!


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
May 2011
Posts:
3640
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am 

If I was getting a Rat I'd only use it the odd time, like the Muff or HM-2. It's a bit too gnarly to use as my standard tone I think.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
1343
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 pm 

Emphyrio wrote:
If I was getting a Rat I'd only use it the odd time, like the Muff or HM-2. It's a bit too gnarly to use as my standard tone I think.


I could lend you one if you wanted to try it? I used to think it'd be a one trick pony too but thats what I ended up using for all my dirt with the Jet City head I used to use, instead of the amps dirty channel. I found it to be very versatile and more "amp" like than any of the other distortion pedals. Though i see you bought the Empress Heavy so I guess you're covered now!


Top
 Profile   
 

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3