Back
  guitar recommendations

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:47 pm 

skyr wrote:
if Im not mistaken the body was mahogany, which I wasn't expecting for 250euros.

has anyone experience with a dean custom 350?

No it's Poplar. That's the wood they use on most of their entry level guitars.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:52 pm 

AntonArcane wrote:
skyr wrote:
if Im not mistaken the body was mahogany, which I wasn't expecting for 250euros.

has anyone experience with a dean custom 350?

No it's Poplar. That's the wood they use on most of their entry level guitars.

it's popular then, poplar?

Are people really down on the jackson? It's handy to grab from MM, and it played pretty decent...for a low budget Im not expecting anything amazing, just a solid bedroom guitar really

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:20 am 

If you like it then go for it. I'm just a grumpy auld guitar snob to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:14 pm 

AntonArcane wrote:
If you like it then go for it. I'm just a grumpy auld guitar snob to be honest.

I would be too pending money. Is harley benton worth a go?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:44 pm 

I would suggest not buying cheap guitars unless you can play them first. As with all cheap guitars, quality standards vary greatly so you never know what you might end up with buying online.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:43 pm 

skadk666 wrote:
I would suggest not buying cheap guitars unless you can play them first. As with all cheap guitars, quality standards vary greatly so you never know what you might end up with buying online.

all this due my esp getting a warped neck from damp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:13 pm 

I think you're fucking nuts buying new, particularly in that kind of price range. You'll pick that Jackson and its ilk for around one-hundred quid second hand where, for the budget you're talking about, you could get something genuinely good if you bought used.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:14 pm 

Juggz wrote:
I think you're fucking nuts buying new, particularly in that kind of price range. You'll pick that Jackson and its ilk for around one-hundred quid second hand where, for the budget you're talking about, you could get something genuinely good if you bought used.

theres a work outlay for 2nd hand too like browsing and emailing and meeting people etc....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:20 pm 

True, but these are temporary outlays whereas the important bit you have to live with, the guitar itself, ends up being substantially superior and worth the effort, no?

Trust me , I fucking hate having to use adverts and have encountered some absolute goons but it's a necessary evil. You get nothing for nothing :lol:

Edit -> Just to illustrate the point, he accepted €220 for the M400.

http://www.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/ ... e/10723356

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:20 pm 

Juggz wrote:
True, but these are temporary outlays whereas the important bit you have to live with, the guitar itself, ends up being substantially superior and worth the effort, no?

Trust me , I fucking hate having to use adverts and have encountered some absolute goons but it's a necessary evil. You get nothing for nothing :lol:

Edit -> Just to illustrate the point, he accepted €220 for the M400.

http://www.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/ ... e/10723356

It is true adverts has great deals, but Im just not an emailing/meeting kind of guy unless I absolutely have to...it's somewhat cool to buy a point and click guitar even though you're losing a lot doing it that way too.

As it stands there's no new budget guitar out there that anyone would rate as being perfectly good for bedroom playing? Better to go for a 2nd hand rg or equivalent?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:36 pm 

I don't know if it's the exchange rates or what lately but new guitars are more expensive than a couple of years ago. Whereas 300 quid would have gotten you a fairly decent one before, now your options would be more limited. The ones that Juggz pointed out are all great value.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:43 pm 

skyr wrote:
it's somewhat cool to buy a point and click guitar even though you're losing a lot doing it that way too.

There is something to be said for that but for the price range you're talking about, I think you'd be better served getting a higher quality 2nd hand guitar than an entry level new guitar. If you were worried about risk of buying from a stranger, you can always insist that you want to try it out first which most sellers would accomodate. I think overall that's definitely worth the uncomfortable few minutes if you're not that into meeting folks from Adverts/DoneDeal.

Emphyrio wrote:
I don't know if it's the exchange rates or what lately but new guitars are more expensive than a couple of years ago. Whereas 300 quid would have gotten you a fairly decent one before, now your options would be more limited. The ones that Juggz pointed out are all great value.

Buying from the UK is cheaper at the moment than it has been in a while. Andertons, GAK etc are way cheaper than Thomann/Musicstore at the moment as the German sites don't seem to have adjusted for the falling Sterling rate so aren't matching the UK prices. For example, a Strymon Timeline is £399 on Andertons which works out to €451. Thomann are selling the same pedal for €499. Even with shipping there's still a 10% saving there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:47 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:

Emphyrio wrote:

Buying from the UK is cheaper at the moment than it has been in a while. Andertons, GAK etc are way cheaper than Thomann/Musicstore at the moment as the German sites don't seem to have adjusted for the falling Sterling rate so aren't matching the UK prices. For example, a Strymon Timeline is £399 on Andertons which works out to €451. Thomann are selling the same pedal for €499. Even with shipping there's still a 10% saving there.

That's information I could do without :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:08 am 

Emphyrio wrote:
spoderman01 wrote:

Emphyrio wrote:

That's information I could do without :lol:

the collapse of sterling is great for a lot of stuff. I got a nice coat for pennies on pounds inc shipping recently.

I may have to go second hand...it's just lot to spend your evenings floating around dublin meeting strangers...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm 

You don't have to go out to dinner with them, man, just buy the guitar and scoot :lol:

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next