Back
  Decent practice amp for metal?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:52 pm 

I'm looking for something small to play metal at bedroom level and hoping to not spend a fortune if possible. I don't know where to start really when it comes to practice amps so any recommendations would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:02 pm 

You could skip the amp completely and go for something like a Line 6 Tone Port UX or Behringer V-Amp. Can run them into headphones or desktop speakers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:14 pm 

Oohh never thought about that actually, that could be an option as well because, I was hoping to get something with a headphone jack if possible anyway. Are you familiar with either of those mentioned? Are they any use?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm 

Also has anyone ever used a Peavey Vypyr?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:35 pm 

Funnily enough I only dug out my Tone Port the other day but a lad in work is taking it off me. I'm sure they must have a more current version available. Had a V-Amp years ago as well. Both very handy for playing along with mp3 or whatever. Tone Port also worked with non -Line6 software like TH2 which had more tone sculpting options than the Line6 GearBox software.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 pm 

What I would do is get a cheap USB interface you can plug your guitar into you computer. Run it through some software like GTR or Guitar Rig which you can 'obtain' quite easily. You can get way better tones out of that than any practice amp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:03 pm 

I bought the Boss Katana 50 recently..you can run it at .5 watts if needed...deadly wee yolk...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:24 pm 

Hey mate, I don't know where you're based but I saw a Line 6 Tone Port for fifty euro in a pawn shop in kilkenny last week.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:20 pm 

If you have a cab the Orange Micro Dark Terror is great bang for your buck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 pm 

had been hummin and hawin for a long time about what to do regards my practice amp being just too loud for its current location, (H&k tubemeister 18, even at 1 watt powersoak)

based solely on this thread i popped for a line 6 pocket pod.

initial thoughts are savage, gets the job done comfortably, won't be worrying the neighbours nor missus neither.

will be popping for some decent headphones in the future to come.

happy out.