Back
  Starter Drum Recs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 am 

Wondering if anyone here can point to some info or have a few tips themselves to help.

Moving to a larger jam space in a month or two and we're looking at buying a drum kit to have in it. None of us play drums but thought it would be good to have for practice, jamming, ideas, and trying out drummers for projects. Since we don't really play them, we're not looking to spend a fortune on one but also don't quite know enough to buy a decent entry level cheap or second hand kit. Aiming around €300-€350.

Could anyone recommend some brands or types of kits to look out for, or know of anywhere that sells used/cheap kits? Could you also point out things to look out for if buying cheap or second hand - I already know in most cases cheap kits on thomann will have muck cymbals but other than that I'm a bit lost.

If you had any decent sites or forums for info I could browse too it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:35 pm 

They're not the sexiest of kits but Pearl exports are hard to beat value wise on the used market. I bought one for less than 200 quid several years ago and it sees TONS of use( Siege kit, Bad rep kit for gigs, lives in a rehearsal room/studio). Still sounds great! We've 2 more of them in our jam space and they are just as solid. They pop up on adverts all the time for small money and have bog standard hardware so are easy to get set up.

If space is a premium then look at the smaller size offerings from Sonar and and Ludwig. Again they're great value kits but having miced them all multiple times at various gigs I can say I've been super impressed by their sounds on offer. I've seen a Sonar Bop blow kits 4-5 times it's price out of the water in sound.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 pm 

Sound for the pointers. There's a couple of pearl export on adverts at the moment for 300-350 too. Will keep an eye out for the Sonor kits too for size! Where we're moving won't be a lot bigger (a room a size up in the storage space) but will give us plenty of room to stick a kit in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:04 pm 

You'll see 5 piece (kick, snare, 3 toms) exports go for around 200 if you keep tour eyes peeled. I had my eye on one for a while last year that had 6 toms for 200. Didn't get snapped up for weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 pm 

Yeah go with a Pearl Export. They last years and sound great for metal. A lot of attack in them. Some new heads and you're done. Very durable too.
Picked up a pearl that was at least 15 years old back in the early 00s and used that for another 5 years without any problems. Still sold it on and made my money back nearly. Pearl hardware is some of the best too so have a look for that as cymbal stands can be quite shite on the lower end.