Back
  Gibson USA: company is “running out of time - rapidly”

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:13 pm 

I think his point was that Gibson don’t currently offer the SG in white.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:09 pm 

Juggz wrote:

Exactly. It's just an example of the kind of weird decisions they've made.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:15 pm 

if6was9 wrote:
Juggz wrote:

Exactly. It's just an example of the kind of weird decisions they've made.

ok, so it's the fault of online shopping and poor instore services that are to blame for Gibson's current state...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/gibson_ceo_blames_guitar_stores_for_financial_struggles.html

This coming from the CEO?

also this little gem needs a its own quotation:

"There is a feeling, and I believe it's true, that every guitar is slightly different from each other"

who is this loolaa? ffs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:01 am 

It's interesting how he paints himself as being on the side of the retailer. Gibson are notorious for the demands they put on retailers, in terms of the amount of stock they are forced to carry, how it's presented in the shop, etc. They put the squeeze on a lot of retailers for many, many years. Fender, too, insisting that dealers go through specific distributors. I remember a mate of mine was looking at buying a Fender Japan Bass VI and priced getting it from Ishibashi. He went in to Musicmaker to see if they could price-match. To be fair to MM, they checked it out and it turned out they would be paying more just to buy from their distributor before they added a cut for themselves than it would have cost him to buy it from Ishi, shipping and import duty included.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 pm 

Interesting and entertaining video on the topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Xi9GQ48iY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:18 pm 

Downtuned guitars in C, bands like Creed.... :lol:

Good listen cheers Juggz.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:41 pm 

how to solve quality control issues? fire senior staff/supervisors.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/gibson_fires_staff_in_nashville_custom_shop_as_part_of_broad_initiative_throughout_the_company_to_prepare_for_our_refinancing.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:02 pm 

Juggz wrote:
Interesting and entertaining video on the topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Xi9GQ48iY

Really interesting video but those comments about tuning down are a bit off, surely? There are loads of guys out there who use nothing but Les Pauls and tune down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:26 am 

I run a LP in drop B with .12-.60s and it's never complained. Pretty sure i've seen people run LP's (and SG's, for that matter) in A standard as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
I run a LP in drop B with .12-.60s and it's never complained. Pretty sure i've seen people run LP's (and SG's, for that matter) in A standard as well.

Welsh Chris is drop F# on an LP. Maybe we're all out of tune though...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:31 pm 

you're right, of course. come to think of it, i've never had a guitar refuse to hold any tuning once a proper setup and adequately heavy strings were added. With the notable exception of one of the first Jacksons i had, an older-than-god dinky that had the worst licensed floyd in recorded history on it and would barely hold intonation in standard let alone anything saucy. I trailed thon out and replaced it with a japanese Jackson floating trem and there was never a bother out of it after that, mind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:58 pm 

Had an Epiphone LP standard tuned in a weird tuning( 5ths intervals like a banjo or violin) with the low string tuned to E an octave below normal guitar tuning. It had a .90 low string and needed the nut recut but it worked fine. intonated pretty well up to 10/11 frets.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am 

Juggz wrote:
They know the value of their logos appearing in the hands of the movers and shakers of every popular culture movement. That marketing budget is part of why they’re overly expensive, coupled with the price being used to add the perception of prestige. It definitely isn’t wood or skilled and motivated labour.

Yeah, apparently Zakk Wylde wants half a million $ to endorse a brand these days. He couldn't get it of course, which is presumably why he left Gibson and started making those Schecter shitters, but still goes to show how much marketing money is being thrown around.

Vai and Satriani must be on big bucks to have stuck with Ibanez so long.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:05 pm 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-business

Looks like they're going to get out of any involvement in consumer electronics and try to salvage the instrument side of the business. Kind of odd considering they skipped NAMM in favour of a consumer electronics show...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:19 pm 

the big G are also having the bollix sued off them by the company that built the robo-tuner!

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next