Back
  Electro harmonix B9 organ pedal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:40 pm 

Anyone any experience with one? Ive ordered one as they really seem to catch that leslie speaker hammond sound that I love..but 240 bucks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:41 pm 

Haven't used the B9 but had a few problems with the Synth9 from the same series. Think it may have been related to the load on the extension lead that it was plugged into but that's purely a guess on my part. Will be interested to see how you get on.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:36 am 

I have one. I used to use it quite a bit but haven't set it up at a gig lately!

Pros- they do a great organ sound. That hammond/farfisa/vox sound. Its easy to use. You'll know if 2 mins whether it does what you want.

Cons- it tracks notes well but responds a bit weird dynamically. Some notes just jump out in volume. I put a compressor beside it to help with that. I also run it into a bit of reverb as the notes occasionally die off quicker than usual. It's not terribly versatile either, a few sounds could easily be tweaked to be the same.

Overall I like it but kinda wish I held out for the Mel 9 as I originally got it to replicate some keys parts on the Shardborne album live, and they were done using a mellotron patch so it would have been more suitable!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 am 

Good stuff, yeah I assumed there may be a few dead spots or frequency issues, my guess being that the lower bass frequency’s may sound richer. Pick it up next week so I’ll do a wee review-I’d been toying with the thought of a keyboard player but this hopefully will be able to negate this..
I’m not really a pedal guy, I’m only using a smartone Brian may treble booster ( that I love) a fuzz and tuner, where abouts in the chain would you place such a thing?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:36 am 

Rimm wrote:
where abouts in the chain would you place such a thing?

Assuming it works in a fairly similar way to a synth pedal, I think the norm is to have them at the front of the chain. So after tuner and before fuzz & booster.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:02 pm 

Thanks man, will try it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:31 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:
Rimm wrote:
where abouts in the chain would you place such a thing?

Assuming it works in a fairly similar way to a synth pedal, I think the norm is to have them at the front of the chain. So after tuner and before fuzz & booster.

Yeah after your tuner before anything else. You don't want to run any kind of dirt into it as that'll mess with the tracking.

It's not so much that there's "dead spots", it just tends to be a bit random with the volume a little so sometimes for no real reason a note just tends to "jump out" a little more than it should. It's not a huge issue really but it happened enough for me to stick it into a comp. I've done sound for a few guys who used one and didn't do this and sounded grand!

I find it operates fairly well across the fretboard too, I wouldn't say it works best on the lower area of the guitars range. Maybe the synth one does but the B9 really works all over

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:49 pm 

if6was9 wrote:
It's not so much that there's "dead spots", it just tends to be a bit random with the volume a little so sometimes for no real reason a note just tends to "jump out" a little more than it should. It's not a huge issue really but it happened enough for me to stick it into a comp.

It's only the Synth9 that I've tried but my experience sounds largely similar to that. But I did see some posts/articles about how they shouldn't be put through a compressor. Maybe it was only certain members of the 9-series range. Will see if I can dig it out.

:Edit - the Synth9 has a built-in compressor. Seems the B9 doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:17 am 

spoderman01 wrote:
if6was9 wrote:
It's not so much that there's "dead spots", it just tends to be a bit random with the volume a little so sometimes for no real reason a note just tends to "jump out" a little more than it should. It's not a huge issue really but it happened enough for me to stick it into a comp.

It's only the Synth9 that I've tried but my experience sounds largely similar to that. But I did see some posts/articles about how they shouldn't be put through a compressor. Maybe it was only certain members of the 9-series range. Will see if I can dig it out.

:Edit - the Synth9 has a built-in compressor. Seems the B9 doesn't.

That's interesting! Didn't know they'd did that with the synth9