Back
  Dynamic EQ / multiband compressor pedals for guitar?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:16 pm 

Been searching the internet the past couple months for a dynamic EQ or multiband compressor pedal, reason being that I want to dynamically compress frequencies in the range of 65hz - 250hz when doing palm muted chugs - I hate the mush it causes and all the headroom those lower frequencies steal from the upper mids (not to mention the bass and kick). Basically, I'm trying to find a real world version of Andy Sneap's settings for the Waves C4 plugin.

I found three options, only one of which is mass produced, which seems nuts to me.

The Hyper Gravity is digital (not ideal), but highly programmable and actually does what I want it to do. Best of all it has a Blend knob to mix the compressed and uncompressed frequencies, and you can turn off makeup gain as well, so it doesn't actually sound like a compressor but more of a dynamic EQ.

Curious if anyone know of any other solutions? Or even why multiband comps and dynamic EQs aren't already widely available? Surely Waves or a similar business could make a killing producing pedal versions of their software.

Moose, if you're reading this, have you ever considered producing something like this?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:59 pm 

Simply put, no.

I presume there's not a huge market for them or there'd be more available. If someone asked me for one I'd probably offer to build that kit for them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:19 pm 

I always thought the mud that those Sneap settings tackled was more a function of the way the amp/cab/mic chain reacts to the palm mutes rather than the signal coming out of the guitar? Can't see how that would be as effective compressing at source.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:22 pm 

Yeah, obviously the comp's place in the signal chain is completely different, but I guess that's the nature of a pedalboard attempt at replicating a studio technique.

That said, applying the comp to the clean guitar signal before it hits my overdrive and amp definitely seems to be doing the trick and is tightening up the whole sound that comes out of the cab in a very pleasing fashion.

Other nice thing is that I can dial back my amp's presence a bit, now that there's less headroom going to low end whomp and more to the mids, which has had the unexpected effect of making everything sound more aggressive and lively but smoother and less jading at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:33 pm 

If you have the facility to reamp it might be worth throwing the C4 on a DI track and then back out to the amp to see how that reacts.