Back
  Decent Starter Electro-Acoustic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 am 

Looking for something that sounds halfway reasonable when plugged in, won’t take the piss cost-wise, and will hold tuning stability. Ideally, I’d be after something with a Les Paul-ish neck, decent tuners, and a not-too-hefty body as I’m only a little fella :lol:

I’ll basically be using this for a few acoustic gigs that I’m going to be doing purely for my own enjoyment, so I don’t be needing a Lowden or Emerald. Cheap, cheerful and reasonably fit for purpose is the ideal. Any recommendations lads?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:18 am 

Dont know if they are still made but Crafter used to have a fairly small sized Electro-Acoustic guitar that was lovely to play. No idea what the model was called.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:24 am 

Solid top essential, I find after market pick ups a better bet on lower price bracket instruments- a Taylor 110 could be picked up second hand and just add 80 bucks for pick up, Gibson feeling and top notch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:35 am 

have seen a couple of second hand taylors but they're clocking in at 300-400, which is a bit mre than I'd be happy spending particularly if I'd have to spend more to have a pickup added, unfortunately. cheers for the tip though!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 pm 

A decent Taylor for three hundred quid I’d throw everything at man, I’ve played acoustic pretty much exclusively for ten years and I’ve yet to find anything that comes even close for the dough!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 pm 

have found a Fender that seems to fit the requirements. it's a solid top, not too big, looks lovely, has a very electric-like neck, and a fishman pickup in it. and it clocks in at £249. I reckon i'll pull the trigger on it come payday and busk my way to glory.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:19 pm 

Sounds cool, I like the strat style headstock on some of their acoustics

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:24 pm 

strangely, this one has a headstock more akin to a les paul. it's really nice, to be fair. if I pick it up i'll fire some photos up.

saw a "stratacoustic" as well, which despite looking crazy was actually really nice to play.

it doesn't compare to Dean's almighty acoustic V, though

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:28 pm 

That dean though... I have a mate in Holland who
Plays Django stuff pretty successfully, he had one for a while, deadly!
Same guy just did an AC/DC gypsy jazz album on an SG inspired acoustic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 pm 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNhboONGO8