Back
  Drums in a shed

Page: Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:10 am 

I did this myself recently with an old shitty set of shells from gumtree which is why I recommended throwing the mesh heads on there. Thomann are the best bet for a set of twin ply mesh (Millenium QuiHead is what you're looking for on there). I have them set up on one kit with triggers and they work grand and also on another couple of shells I use downstairs when the kids are in bed - no issues with them at all.

For the main setup I have these as well - not cheap for practice cymbals but much cheaper than the Zildjian and Sabian low volume equivalents. Makes all the difference practice wise and they could be further damped using cymbomutes/deadbeats/etc.

Also, if you're above a living room and worried about double kick noise or whatever, you may want to look into building one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Kxoa5K1vg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:41 pm 

I did the right thing in the end. I bought a cheap second hand performance percussion kit.gonna slap on some mesh heads and get a set of millennium low volume cymbals. Oh and btw the pearl rhythm Traveller is up for sale * hint hint* lol.thanks lads

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 pm 

That's my exact practice setup. Millenium low volume cymbals, shit PP shells with mesh and home built triggers in them for some extra monitoring to smooth out the levels between the mesh and the cymbals. A couple of pointers:

- Get the Millenium QuiHead mesh when you're ordering the cymbals off Thomann, cheapest twin ply mesh heads I've seen and they're grand
- Make sure to stick a beater patch on the kick drum head
- You'll probably want to rig up something to sit behind the mesh head in the kick drum to tame the bounce. Some people reckon a pillow in there works but I don't know if that suits for a lot of double kick. I have a wooden cross bar in there with a small 4inch square bit of wood in the centre where the beater strikes and some memory foam in between that and the beater. Ends up giving a bit less rebound than a standard mylar head so will do you good in terms of speed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:12 am 

Ok so here's the jist.iv already bought 2 kits on adverts but had to sell them on for various reasons. I.e lack of space etc. I have my millennium still silent cymbals which are great. However at the moment I'm undecided as to get a traps e450 kit off adverts or use my millennium cymbals with a dw go anywhere practice kit. any help?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:34 am 

If the Traps is mesh, I'd go with that. Can't see how that is going to take up a whole pile less space than a standard shell pack though.

Page: Previous  1, 2