Back
  Speaker cabinets

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:51 am 

So, to a novice at understanding this kinda stuff, how much of an impact does your speaker cab really have on your overall sound. I'm using a cheapass Crate GT412 but given that they cost a fraction of most other cabs I'm curious as to what a 'better' brand would bring me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 am 

Myself and Ciaran swear by the Harley Bentons with V30s. He'd be much more in the know than me obviously, as I wouldn't really have the ear to discern a whole lot of difference between cabs. My Marshall 4x12 also has V30s but if I'm gigging and have to bring a cab I bring the HB 2x12.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:21 am 

Emphyrio wrote:
Myself and Ciaran swear by the Harley Bentons with V30s. He'd be much more in the know than me obviously, as I wouldn't really have the ear to discern a whole lot of difference between cabs. My Marshall 4x12 also has V30s but if I'm gigging and have to bring a cab I bring the HB 2x12.

These ones?
https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton ... intage.htm

Think I remember them coming up in discussion before with pretty good reviews. Was looking at the H&K 2x12 as well and they're coming in around €550 so would need to clear some stuff out before throwing that kinda money at it. Just wanted to gauge if it would really make that much of a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:31 am 

Ya, that's the 4x12 version of my one. I think I paid around €150 for the 2x12 so they've gone up in price quite a bit since, as it's €222 now. As I say, I dunno how much of a difference you'd notice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:44 am 

Emphyrio wrote:
Ya, that's the 4x12 version of my one. I think I paid around €150 for the 2x12 so they've gone up in price quite a bit since, as it's €222 now. As I say, I dunno how much of a difference you'd notice.

My head is telling me that there must be some difference or else everyone would be using cabs like the cheap yoke I have. Might be time to raid the credit union.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:02 pm 

Also using the Harley Benton 2x12 vintage here, it's great. SMG have done a few comparison videos lately on youtube, the most recent comparing it to a Mesa 2x12 here (with the follow up video here).
I wouldn't bother buying another 2x12 to swap this out for, for a very long time. It sounds great for €220, you genuinely can't do better than it for that price. I will be buying a 1x12 version of it for home use too down the line. Ciaran will have some great stuff to say about them too no doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:14 pm 

ochoill wrote:
Also using the Harley Benton 2x12 vintage here, it's great.

This is actually precisely what I was asking about. The HB has 2 Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. Exactly the same as the H&K 2x12 yet one is €220 and the other is €550. So are you just largely paying for the name or is there some other reason for the price difference. I guess build quality of the cabinet itself comes into play but that hardly justifies that much of a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:23 pm 

Most of it is down to the speakers in them. Then you the size of the cabs and how they match with the speakers. After that you have construction methods etc.

Guitar cabs in general are just a box with very little maths or science involved especially compared to bass cabs or PAs where they're ported and tuned to certain frequencies to work with certain speakers. Then there's lightweight bass cabs such as barefaced that are tuned but also built with thin plywood and clever bracing so you get great sounds with little weight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:30 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:
ochoill wrote:
Also using the Harley Benton 2x12 vintage here, it's great.

This is actually precisely what I was asking about. The HB has 2 Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. Exactly the same as the H&K 2x12 yet one is €220 and the other is €550. So are you just largely paying for the name or is there some other reason for the price difference. I guess build quality of the cabinet itself comes into play but that hardly justifies that much of a difference.

The H&K are generally really heavy so probably last a wee bit better if you're gigging a lot but if you're not I'd go with the HB, well I'd go with the HB either way tbh or check out for second hand cabs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:41 pm 

moose wrote:
The H&K are generally really heavy so probably last a wee bit better if you're gigging a lot but if you're not I'd go with the HB, well I'd go with the HB either way tbh or check out for second hand cabs.

If it's the same speakers in both and for home use only, I couldn't really justify throwing the extra €300 at it. Wonder if I can buy the H&K badge somewhere to keep my OCD happy :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:43 pm 

so you should buy two and run a stereo rig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:08 pm 

ochoill wrote:
so you should buy two and run a stereo rig

Ha ha, I'll still have the Crate half-stack so that's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Order the 2x12 anyway, thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:48 pm 

I recently picked up a palmer 2 x 12 with v30's in it, amazing cab and has a much better build quality than the harley benton. Paid £238 for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:19 pm 

blahblahbleh wrote:
I recently picked up a palmer 2 x 12 with v30's in it, amazing cab and has a much better build quality than the harley benton. Paid £238 for it.

Did see the Palmer but it was €80 more expensive than the HB one. Might come back to bite me in the ass but not much I can do now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:41 pm 

The build quality might be a little better on the more expensive 2x12s but for the larger price, audio wise, it's diminishing returns unless you get into much higher end gear. I can basically guarantee you'll be happy with the HB. They're not poorly constructed either mind, it won't exactly fall apart if you look at it :lol: most complaints I see about them is getting scuffed and ripped from heavy gigging but that's all. I've had mine for a year now, it's had a few outings and nothing visible has happened to it.

You could always get one of these. Perfect for terraced house or downtown apartment play: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8389309312
In action: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8389309312

Page: 1, 2  Next