Back
  PA speakers advice needed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:09 pm 

Im in the market for a new set of speakers for vocals, just for a practice room. Standard enough set up for the rest of the lads, full kit, half stack amp in a small room with low roof etc.

I'm using an old thomann t mix desk, like this one https://touch.adverts.ie/mixing-desks/t ... er/7545271

Used to use the t box speakers, 250w each I think, thinking of going for those again but not sure.

Looking for something for vocals that's fairly basic but can keep up with the instruments better than the 150 w amp I'm using right now.

Happy to go second hand, budget is probably 300 Max at the moment. Should I be spending more on em? If anyone is selling any let me know too, will consider anything halfways decent.

Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:47 pm 

I use a yamaha dxr10 for vocals and as a monitor for my kemper, its 1100 watts and the volume is unbelievable, you could pick up a 2nd hand one for your budget and add a 2nd later if required.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:11 pm 

If you can stretch to one of the Mackie thump active speakers you won't regret it.
Sturdily built, tons of power and you get they're serious bang for buck. You can put them on stands or use them as wedges.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/mackie_thump_12.htm
for one or https://www.thomann.de/ie/mackie_thump_12_bundle.htm for a pair with speaker stands.

You won't need a power amp with them as they're active(have the amp built in) and they're easy to use. They're the ideal rehearsal room speaker. They have a newer line too which may interest you, but the old line has come down in price a fair bit as a result meaning they're a great deal right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:41 pm 

Cheers lads, that yamaha one looks good.

Not looking for an active speaker though as I have the desk, I'd like to use it if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 pm 

https://www.thomann.de/ie/the_box_pa302 ... system.htm

I was really considering the Behringer b212xl and yamaha dxr10 but I think the safe bet is two of these lads.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:18 pm 

Angel of Debt wrote:
Cheers lads, that yamaha one looks good.

Not looking for an active speaker though as I have the desk, I'd like to use it if possible.

Won't be any more powerful then if you're still using the poweramp section of the T mix desk. If thats putting out 250 watts a side it doesn't matter how high power the speakers are rated for, they'll only be getting 250watts regardless of their power handling capability.

You can use the t mix just as a mixer with an active pair of speakers. You use the Main L and R line outputs and ignore the speakon connections.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:46 pm 

Cheers for the info man, appreciate it, this is not an area I have much knowledge about.

The speakers are 300 w each. So the max power they could generate is 250 w each?
would two of those going through the power amp on the desk be enough to for a practice room situation?

Its Death metal stuff in a small room with a low ceiling. Just a halfstack and full kit to keep up with.
Am currently doing vocals through an amp so it feels like anything would be an improvement.

I had a similar set up before: t box speakers and the desk, playing with 2 guitars, bass and drums. Held up fine really, so I was in the mindset of doing something similar this time.

If I were to go for an active speaker, would one cut it or would I need a pair do you reckon?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm lost here! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:01 pm 

Oh yeah it'll just be vocals going through the desk, if that makes any difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:08 pm 

Basically the 300 watt figure attached to the speaker is their power HANDLING capability. The powered desk has a power OUTPUT figure. Generally you want to match these or in fact have MORE power output than the handling figure (watts RMS). It's more complicated than that but thats it in very basic terms.

So if you buy a speaker that says 1000 watts and plug it into a 300 watt power amplifier it's still only getting 300 watts, the same as a 300 watt speaker would be able to do.

If you wanna continue using the desk and it's built in amp you might as well just get something cheap like the T box speakers again. In order to get a proper improvement you'd have to replace the poweramp of the desk with either active tops or a more powerful amplifier.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:01 pm 

Sound out man cheers.
Yeah to be honest i think that'll suit me just fine. Again i just need to be able to make a bit more of a racket than I am currently.
I went for two of the t box 502's in the end. Cant imagine needing anymore juice than that for a weekly rehearsal.

Good to know that i can replace the poweramp in the desk if I needed a bit more out of them.