Back
  My threads...

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:40 am 

Thanked for bringing that to my attention. I didn't actually click into it before now. Vegetarianism is a subject I really couldn't give a toss about.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 am 

Era VulgaChris wrote:
deletion of threads is THE WORST way to moderate. You lock them with an explanation and they sink to nothingness. So simple.

It's not always so simple. A lot of the time people post up stupid, vacuous or childish threads (usually containing links to something) knowing fine well they shouldn't be posting them. But they find it hilarious! They probably have an inkling it will be locked, but they do it anyway. If I just lock the thread, he/she has gotten away with contributing bullshit to the forum. A lot of people (most?) click into threads when they see them locked to find out exactly why they were locked in the first. 9 times out of 10 they will probably click on the stupid link. Do you see what I'm getting at here? I haven't stopped people from posting stupid, vacuous or childish threads on the forum - I've just stopped discussion of said shite. THAT's why I delete threads when I do.

I stand by my decision re. your Katie Price thread. If you genuinely wanted to bring all the cool interviews on that site to our attention, you would have started with one that was relevant to MI.com and you would have posted it in the main forum. But you chose a Katie Price interview instead and you posted it in off-topic.

Next time I delete a thread belonging to you I'll try and remember to send you a PM.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:20 am 

I'm on your side Barry xx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 am 

I go away for 2 weeks or so and this place is still like a nerd handbag fight, even the gig discussion thread hardly moves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:16 am 

"...held aloft my magic sword and said: I HAVE THE POWER!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:30 am 

The Thread with the Era Vulgaris poster on amazon was interesting, does this happen much? I know bands get the odd message on myspace asking for a signed picture of them, which I'm guessing is some sad fucker collecting stuff to sell on ebay etc in years to come.
Also, would anyone actually buy a band poster like that on amazon?, I usually just rip them off the wall at gigs!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:06 am 

Bane wrote:
Era VulgaChris wrote:
deletion of threads is THE WORST way to moderate. You lock them with an explanation and they sink to nothingness. So simple.

It's not always so simple. A lot of the time people post up stupid, vacuous or childish threads (usually containing links to something) knowing fine well they shouldn't be posting them. But they find it hilarious! They probably have an inkling it will be locked, but they do it anyway. If I just lock the thread, he/she has gotten away with contributing bullshit to the forum. A lot of people (most?) click into threads when they see them locked to find out exactly why they were locked in the first. 9 times out of 10 they will probably click on the stupid link. Do you see what I'm getting at here? I haven't stopped people from posting stupid, vacuous or childish threads on the forum - I've just stopped discussion of said shite. THAT's why I delete threads when I do.

I stand by my decision re. your Katie Price thread. If you genuinely wanted to bring all the cool interviews on that site to our attention, you would have started with one that was relevant to MI.com and you would have posted it in the main forum. But you chose a Katie Price interview instead and you posted it in off-topic.

Next time I delete a thread belonging to you I'll try and remember to send you a PM.

Your theory is sound except that in reality what often happens is the appearance of "Where did my woman with huge tits gets trapped in man-hole thread go?" threads afterwards. Without explaining things to people they don't learn. Surely how I present a thread is down to me... I was reading the Cronos interview when I saw that one in a side-column, I (perhaps childishly) thought it was funny so introduced the thread that way and put it in off-topic so as not to enrage the Main Forum users with her name sandwiched between Morbid Angel and Diocletian, or whatever - the content of the first post itself fell completely within forum rules. It's a matter of basic respect missing from the moderation calls that leads to the wah-wahing that pops up from new and old users... plus, on an even more basic level, whoever deleted the Era V thread must surely have known that I would almost definitely react - all the mods are aware enough of how argumentative I am after all these years ; pigeon hit the red button.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 am 

So basically Chris spent hours honing his witty jokes, consulting his dictionary to decide which of his selection of lovely big words he was going to use, wrapped it all up in fluffy prose, then saw his beautiful new thread get shitcanned because he forgot to include a tiny, insignificant little thing like relevance or a point and didn’t even get a step-by-step explanation.

Oh those moderators. How very dare they?

And as to this craic about "they must have known I'd almost definitely respond... they know how argumentative I am," doesn't that roughly translate as "you better not delete my threads, or I'll throw a bitch-fit"??

A thread that was of no use got deleted. Get over it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:27 am 

Right, so question is answered. Lock it up and lets return to good conversations and quit bitching.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:41 am 

Leather Mike wrote:
So basically Chris spent hours honing his witty jokes, consulting his dictionary to decide which of his selection of lovely big words he was going to use, wrapped it all up in fluffy prose, then saw his beautiful new thread get shitcanned because he forgot to include a tiny, insignificant little thing like relevance or a point and didn’t even get a step-by-step explanation.

And as to this craic about "they must have known I'd almost definitely respond... they know how argumentative I am," doesn't that roughly translate as "you better not delete my threads, or I'll throw a bitch-fit"??

Shhh - there's real people talking, this isn't the place for cartoon characters.

Aye, lock it - said what I wanted to say which is the same thing I say over and over again: if you want to stop shit threads then lock and explain, it shows respect, even if you think none is merited, which breeds respect, and this in turn will lead to a better overall level of content on the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:47 am 

If you want to eradicate shit threads, ban Chris.

And as to your little "There's real people talking..." skit, don't you fucking dare talk down to me, you sanctimonius, self righteous wanker.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 am 

I think it would be gas if this was deleted!haha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:00 pm 

that it would!! :lol:

Though chris would probably just start another thread in which to pontificate. He fancies himself as a wit and an intellectual, and sadly suffers from delusions of adequacy on both counts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:

Fair play lad. I'm starting to come around to you I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:06 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
If you want to eradicate shit threads, ban Chris.

And as to your little "There's real people talking..." skit, don't you fucking dare talk down to me, you sanctimonius, self righteous wanker.

He's at least a foot taller than you 8)

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next