Back
  G. TATE'S OPERATION MINDCRIME - 12 JAN 18 - EMPIRE, BELFAST

Page: Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 am 

That wasy review. Im a journo. Hang.of.my.every word. Seriously. Tate nailed that tonight . Band were grand. A good evening

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:44 am 

GOATLORD wrote:
Pure lethal

Have to agree this took me back to 1990 in the Ulster Hall.
Tates vocals were spot on and band delivered well.
Would have loved Queen of the the Ryche and London, but you can tell he enjoys playing the Empire songs.

This gig really should have been in LL1.
They need to return very quickly and play a lot more of the early songs.
One not to be missed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 am 

The Belfast lads obviously on meth.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:23 am 

Now that I can see right. The meth last night was toxic.

After reading all the stuff here yesterday I was quite prepared for an utter disaster. The songs were played well, a few bum notes here and there and the young lad could have done with a wee push in the mix. The 3rd guitar was utterly pointless. Tate still has a good voice, much more so than the last time I seen him at Hellfest a few years back. The stage attire would be more akin to an advert for sun life 50+. That aside thoroughly enjoyed it. Still the Empire is a kip of the highest order.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:33 am 

Was expecting a disaster but that was enjoyable, GTs voice sounding very good as well. The band were very green though, they kept it together but only just. This album deserves to be delivered by a more experienced outfit, and with some semblance of production value. Considering the awful setup in the Empire that's pretty much impossible I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:39 am 

I know what’s happened, it was the late start. You lads were hammered.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:23 pm 

Ha! That might have something to do with it.

But I thought it was a brilliant gig in Belfast.
When the chords for Revolution Calling rang out it felt like 1988 again.

Tate's voice is still fantastic and he seemed to be enjoying the reception he got. I thought that his band were green, yes, but excellent. They obviously aren't the same as the '88 band but I felt that they got a lot of the feel and tone of De Garmo/Wilton Queensryche. The sound in The Empire was spot on up the front.

A full crowd of mostly 40 plussers sang along with gusto on the choruses. Great atmosphere.

The 11.10 start was too late, though. 9.30 would've been more sensible, but they felt the need to have 2 supports.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:26 pm 

I don’t get that though, surely that’s an oxymoron?

The band were green sloppy or inexperienced but they were excellent?

Reminds me of your man Huez reviews, support were shit, main band performed poorly but it was an excellent gig.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:57 pm 

I get what you're saying. I don't think that the band were sloppy. The green-ness I refer to was really just evident in the young Scottish fellas on bass and guitar. They appeared a bit nervous at times. It can't be easy filling those big boots. Revolution Calling, The Mission and Eyes of a Stranger sounded particularly sprightly to my ears, though.

Their main guitarist, Scott Moughton, is a talented player and has lots of swagger. He seemed to give a lot of confidence to the younger lads on stage.

Last edited by Kyle on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:08 pm 

I see lots of people talk about the sound. They have their own sound engineer with them who was doing only Geoffs sound. Their band consisted of Scott Moughton, Geoffs Operation Mindcrime guitarist. On keys Bruno Sa, a session musician whos worked with Angra, Joe Lynn Turner etc... The others are from the main tour support band.

Me, I enjoyed last night. Absolutely packed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:40 pm 

So was he doing this tour on the cheap with lesser known musicians, Operation Mindcrime "the band" according to their site and wiki still includes Simon Wright and Kelly Gray

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:00 pm 

Brox wrote:
So was he doing this tour on the cheap with lesser known musicians, Operation Mindcrime "the band" according to their site and wiki still includes Simon Wright and Kelly Gray

Its maybe down to who was available. Kelly Gray is currently in Amsterdam.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm 

Found this interesting nugget about Scott Moughton online:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-geoff-tate-guitarist-sentenced-for-id-theft/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:12 pm 

Monster From Hell wrote:
I can also confirm that there were no “more so a refusal of entry into the venue from the Crowbar (which is all part of the one premises)” type scenarios. We have the cctv and welcome you to drop in anytime to review.

If you were actually a data controller Rimm you would know that it's illegal to do so without paying a €6 fee through the Data Protection Commissioners.

Also invest in a dictionary.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 pm 

Seriously lad, what the fuck are you smoking?

Page: Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next