Back
  Guilty Pleasure - Fibber Magees - Friday 12th January

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:09 pm 

Venture Proudly Presents:

GUILTY PLEASURE - A Live Tribute to Nu Metal

Fibber Magees - Friday January 12th - 9pm - €12

Guilty Pleasure is a 9-headed, 18-armed juggernaut, shamelessly indulging in the nostalgia for one of rock music’s most notorious sub genres: the cheesy, heavy, petulant, parent-bothering scuzz that is Nu Metal.

In a live celebration of the most ridiculous of music genres, we pay tribute to the bands that soundtracked your teenage years.

Featuring LIVE performances of songs by Limp Bizkit, System of a Down, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Korn and so much more, a night with Guilty Pleasure is guaranteed to leave you with a smile on your face and a pain in your neck.

Bust out those wallet chains, keep the pants sagging, spike your hair, and let loose.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2069897353222459/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm 

All going to plan will be at this, heard good things. Good craic etc.

Bit of Mudvayne would be awesome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm 

Dear lord..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:32 am 

Fuck me, another tribute band. It’s a fucking wasteland here and tribute bands are helping to kill things off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:59 am 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
Fuck me, another tribute band. It’s a fucking wasteland here and tribute bands are helping to kill things off.

Get to a lot of local gigs yourself?
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but personally, I think it's lazy punters that are killing things off.
Original band put in the effort to writing great songs and rehearsing them and get off their asses to play a show, which means showing up stupid early for load in, set up and soundcheck followed by the always fun hanging around until showtime bit - "20 more minutes lads, we'll let the place fill up a bit first"
Then playing those great songs to about 15-20 people who aren't really paying attention half of the time. Which in turn demoralises the band, making them play with less of a passion for it - which in turn leads to some dicksmack labeling them as "dull and unexciting" - so even less show up to the next gig.

Or....who wants to go to a gig where the band plays all the songs ya secretly love along with 200 other punters and ye can rejoice that you're not alone in the world after all??
Yay Fun. And look, because the crowd are enthusiastic, the band are also enthusiastic and put on a great show.

You are right - things are being killed off.
But are you doing enough to help matters though?

...also lighten up, It's just a fun gig!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 pm 

Yes, I do go to a lot of gigs myself. Thanks, and I've picked up more than my fair share of local releases over the years.

Dude, I've always been in bands so spare me the lecture on what it's like.

Irish people seem to have a contemptuous attitude toward new music. Great bands have consistently played up and down the country to no response. Yet, a fucking gimmick like this or the seattle grunge crew will see Fibbers rammed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:10 pm 

Great. Another fucking tribute band. Next...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:18 pm 

Yeah - because people get off their asses and go out when they are guaranteed good tunes and a good night out. Go figure?
Again - I'm not saying you're wrong. Fair play to you. If only there were more like you.
However, as a member of a tribute band myself (....and a soul destroyed original song writer/performer), I can tell you that I've been treated better playing tribute shows by both venue owners and punters.
Understandably so - the venue is full of drinkers so Mr. Venue owner is happy at all the money changing hands and is only too happy to pay the band then.
People love to remember good times so they are very appreciative too.

Is it right? Who's to say? It is how it is. Maybe ya shouldn't knock it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:03 pm 

Tribute acts have an instant audience so as you correctly point out, Mr. Venue owner will be happy. You're playing music the audience knows, they're happy. In turn you'll be treated well, all that goes without saying.

Downside is that now takes away any chance an original band had of playing on a Friday or Saturday. There used to be a reasonable balance of Tributes/Originals. It feels like the ratio has gone way in favor of tributes now. For example, the place we rehearse in used to be shared by 4 original bands and one tribute 7 years ago - it's the exact opposite now speaking to friends in bands it seems to be the same across the board! We have so many varients of the same tribute now and they all seem to do amazingly well Seattle Grunge Mob, Pearl Jem, Angry Chair - Christ almighty how many of the same thing do we need?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:21 pm 

For the most part doing a cover / tribute band is a business venture, simple as.
There can be some exceptions of course.

Like Kranog said most of these bands, more than likely, have been playing originals for years and are just at the point in their 30's of enjoying playing tunes and getting paid for it as alot better than busting their ass writing originals to have no one listen or go to their gigs.

The shortfall I feel with original bands has to come with young and hungry up and coming people/bands which just is not happening in this country as far as I'm concerned, well in the metal scene anyway.
Even the younger hardest working bands who are getting over the local 'hump' and international success like Code Orange etc are saying they are seriously struggling even with all the hype behind them. Serious uphill battle.

Either way, I was never a massive tribute band person back in my 20's, but lately I've just said fuck it, head along and have the craic if that's your thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 pm 

Look lads, I get it. Nostalgia, being paid for gigs, good times. I hear ya, personally it was never something I was into. If I want to see Pearl Jam or Guns N Roses or whatever I'll go see them.

My point is it seems to be all tribute bands now and there doesn't seem to be anyone out there looking to check out new music.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:39 pm 

I hear ya man - there really should be a balance. It sucks that it's harder to get a weekend headline slot for an original band. Best we can do now is maybe a main support slot for a tribute band - which, if done right, could even be a good thing for the original band...but it's not the same thing.

Years ago it was the pay to play epidemic. Some friends and I set up the GigSmart initiative so that bands weren't asked to pay to play gigs.
It went really well for a time too but the age old issue of people eventually either losing interest of going out to gigs or just a fluctuation of young bands with little to no ability getting themselves on stages...or a combination of the two I guess! :)
I think a lot of those muso's that have had their hearts broken playing their original gigs are the ones playing in tribute bands now just so they can play some gigs to a packed house and actually get a few quid for a change.
...though this wasn't my reason for getting into it at all. But I do understand it all the same.

A mate of mine started the Seattle Grunge Experience - they were the first to tribute the genre moreso than an actual band - or at least I think they were. And they did really well but now, there's like 4 other "grunge" tributes on the go.
Angry Chair are a tribute to Alice in Chains. They are pretty good too - I've filled in for them on drums a couple of times.

I apologise for my first comment by the way, I hastily (and wrongly) assumed you were just another keyboard warrior spewing hate rants without actually helping to remedy your argument.
It's cool you still check out new local bands and contribute to the scene. Fair fucks dude!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:48 pm 

No need to apologise mate, I admit I am biased, I've had opportunities to join tribute acts and have stubbornly refused, it's just not for me - all down to personal opinion. I hit a few tribute shows over the years and I never enjoy it. The only one that sticks out for me is the Bloody Kisses crew, and in that case I think it's worthwhile. It gives fans an opportunity to see something they'll never get to see.

Quote:
I think a lot of those muso's that have had their hearts broken playing their original gigs are the ones playing in tribute bands now just so they can play some gigs to a packed house and actually get a few quid for a change

I totally get that, and I realize a lot of these guys including yourself have paid your dues. As I said earlier, there used to be a balance. It's gone askew and there's nothing really coming through in terms of younger bands anything of interest recently has come from the older heads (Not the fault of tribute acts obviously). I'm not so sure that an original act would do well opening for a tribute, as you pointed out the crowd is there to have a good time and hear music they're familiar with. I'm not sure they'd be in the humor of an opening act.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:05 pm 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
The only one that sticks out for me is the Bloody Kisses crew, and in that case I think it's worthwhile. It gives fans an opportunity to see something they'll never get to see.

Thanks man. I appreciate that. We knew from day one that BK was gonna cost us far more than we'd ever make from it but we wanted to, at least try to, capture the Type O vibe.

Anyways...Friday night. I'm going to stand there heckling, "The state of yiz lads!" but inside I'll be moshing like a spa! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:08 pm 

Quote:
Thanks man. I appreciate that. We knew from day one that BK was gonna cost us far more than we'd ever make from it but we wanted to, at least try to, capture the Type O vibe

Didn't realize you were in BK! At least that proves I get up off my hole to check things out.

Page: 1, 2  Next