Back
  Alcatraz 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 pm 

What's the best way from Dublin to get to Kortruk in Belgium

Alcatraz 2017 lineup looks sweet but never been before....

http://www.alcatraz.be/en/line-up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:31 pm 

Literally just saw this on Facebook. Lille is closest city, not sure if it has an airport. Otherwise Brussels and train

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:38 pm 

Probably fly to Brussels (Ryanair fly into the main airport I think), train from there to Brussels and onto to Kortrijk. Shouldn't be more than 2 hours tops unless you miss the train.

Fest site seems to be within a handy taxi ride in Kortrijk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:16 pm 

Fuck thats a great line up!! Moonspell, iced earth, saxon and paradise lost on the one line up! I might look into this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:01 pm 

Great line up again this year. Will have to get the finger out and head to this one year.
Should have gone last year but did Graspop instead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 pm 

Has anyone any gone to this fest previously? Is it a good set up? How far from campsite to stage? Beer/Food prices? Its looking a hell of a lot better than Bloodstock.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 pm 

Der Meister wrote:
Its looking a hell of a lot better than Bloodstock.

Not much of an accomplishment :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:16 pm 

If you fly to Brussels International (not Brussels South Charleroi) you can get a dorect train to Kortrijk. There's one an hour at 13 minutes past the hour, direction Oostende. The journey is around 1 hour 40. There are ticket machines in the airport train station but also in the baggage reclaim area, so if you're waiting for a bag you can put your time to good use. If your return journey is Friday to Sunday you can buy a weekend ticket and get 50% off (and Belgian trains are cheap enough to begin with). Ryanair and Aer Lingus both fly to Brussels International and the competition keeps prices acceptable.

Charleroi Airport doesn't have its own airport and there are no direct trains from Charleroi town to Kortrijk anyway. So you'd have to change trains and it would take 2 hours 30.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:01 pm 

Thanks for that. I was told its better to fly to Zaventem. Is it far from tent to stage? Thats what I love about BOA, 10 mins in and out.I gather this fest is roughly the same capacity as BOA.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:09 pm 

Zaventem is another name for Brussels International, so that's exactly where to go. No idea about the festival, I've never been.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:08 pm 

Been to the last two Alcatraz and its nice lil festival and seems to be getting bigger and busier each year. Fly into Brussels Zaventem, train to either Brussels/Gent, change for Kortrijk then De Lijn bus it to the camp site (cant remember the bus number but they'll have it on the website). Think the first year got a taxi from Kortrijk which didn't cost more than €15.

They moved the camping site last year closer to the festival ground/stage. The only gripe is the place shuts down after 1.30/2am. You can not get a beer after a certain point and crew literally turf you out, there is no after party marquee so its a tame experience in comparison to the larger fests. Also bring extra food/drinks with you as there is no shops in the vicinity so you'll have to go back into Kortrijk if you need anything. They do sell breakfasts at the campsite but has to be pre-bought once you get yer wristband and they do sell out.

Queues for drink/food tokens were a bit long (not automated like Graspop) so pick your time wisely. Queues in can get a bit busy to get in and out of the festival grounds but have to say loved it as a fest, just a lot more chilled out.