Back
  New Primus Album - The Desaturating Seven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:40 pm 

It looks like it's a concept album based on a children's book called 'The Rainbow Goblins' that Les used to read to his kids.

I think it's sounding good and looking forward to hearing the rest of the album https://youtu.be/jw95wlggfYM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 pm 

I used to love this band but the forced wackyness is just excruciating at this stage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:38 pm 

Loved Green Naugahyde, couple of fillers on it but that is pretty common on any of their albums. Could barely get through the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory thing.

Didn't know they had a new album coming out. Not sure about a concept album based on a kids book. Their lyrics are a big part of their appeal for me. I liked the social commentary or how a mundane every day thing can be turned on its head by Claypools lyrics. Similar to Clutch's style of lyrics. So not sure how any of that would fit around a children's book. Maybe forced wackyness all right. Or could turn out to be genius.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:11 pm 

Cool! Didn’t realise there was a new one on the way! New track sounds good.
Wasn’t into that last Chocolate Factory one at all. Came off as uninspired, contrived and above all completely unnecessary. Enjoyed Green Naugahyde though and still dip back into it form time to time.

Caught them live back in June and they did not disappoint! Played for nearly 3 hours over the course of two sets. The set covered pretty much every album apart from Antipop and the Chocolate Factory.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:30 pm 

I've loved everything they've done up to the Chocolate Factory album, and not really getting into that new song at all. Hopefully it means a new tour though and an Irish date, but I don't think they've ever actually played here before?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:21 am 

The song sounds more like one of the intros Les has done for TV shows. Not really gone it.

To fair because Primus and bands like them that have such an identifiable sound and style to their music it must become very limiting when trying to create new music.

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:13 pm 

Andy82 wrote:
To fair because Primus and bands like them that have such an identifiable sound and style to their music it must become very limiting when trying to create new music.

And yet, in their first run of albums, they managed to create albums that each had a unique feel to them.

I really liked the collaboration album he did with Lennon a couple of years ago, better than the Chocolate Factory thang. In any case, he still easily has the capacity to pull out a great album, hopefully he's done just that here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:10 pm 

Well yea 4 albums they have 8. Thinking about it I would say 7 of their albums all have a unique feel. So I am disagreeing with my self now.

Hadn't heard of the Claypool Lennon Delirium stuff until now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 pm 

a new one hmmm, look forward to a full listen. last one i kind of got into was Green Naugahyde .