Back
  New gear 2017!!!
    
Page: Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 42  Next



Joined:
Mar 2006
Posts:
3487
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:35 pm 

Emphyrio wrote:
Decisions, decisions...


Just need to find herself a new job so that she's not always at home when my DPD buddy Jim arrives with new toys :D


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
May 2011
Posts:
3475
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:47 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:
Emphyrio wrote:
Decisions, decisions...


Just need to find herself a new job so that she's not always at home when my DPD buddy Jim arrives with new toys :D


:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Mar 2006
Posts:
3487
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 am 

Took the plunge in Woodies last night and picked up a couple of 50cm x 50cm boards and some brackets so gonna make a stab at building my own board.

Image

Was considering taking the electronics for the power adapters off of the Behringer board but in reality, it's just a daisy chain so I'll prob just pick up some of the 8-plug daisy chain cables as I've a few 2A adapters lying around. That should sort out the pedals with the lower draws. Will prob look into a Strymon Ojai or Zuma for powering the larger pedals as there's currently 4 that need 250-500 mA each and can't rule out the possibility of picking up more at some point.

Need to paint/stain it, bolt the 2 together, raise the back about 4 inches, add some floor protection and prob drill in a few holes to make cabling a bit easier. Can't help but be tempted to throw some LED strips under it as well :lol:


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
May 2011
Posts:
3475
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am 

In fairness, that'll look deadly if you follow it through.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Mar 2006
Posts:
3487
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 am 

Emphyrio wrote:
In fairness, that'll look deadly if you follow it through.


And at €23 for the boards, brackets and screws, a damn sight cheaper than a Pedal Train board.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
1304
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:16 pm 

There's a few things that you gotta keep in mind when doing up your first big board Spud.

Use "pancake" jack patch cables. EBS are known for them but Harley Benton do a version now for a fraction of the price. It's way neater and you can get things tighter.

The DC power adapters will eat more room than the jacks and often in weird places. I got a bunch of right angle adapters as the straight type just takes up a silly amount of room. These are what I got https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-Power-Plug-Cable-5-5-x-2-5mm-Male-90-Degree-Right-Angle-To-5/32602655011.html

You'll need to pull a good few of the rubber feel off the pedals in order for them to stick down with velcro. Some will be shallow enough that they can stay on but most will sit the pedal too high off the board to stick. If you're planning on selling them or particular about this stuff you'll want to keep them.

You don't need insane strength velcro for pedals. I've often had the stock stickers on the back of pedals peel off instead of the velcro with bog standard velcro! Guys on forums rave about extra strength and the like but the standard stuff does a superb job. You don't need to be able to pick up the board by the pedals!

I've made a few boards up lately for myself and some friends. It's therapeutic! I put the finishing touches on my main board last week.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Apr 2012
Posts:
278
Location:
Maigh Eo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:55 pm 

if6was9 wrote:
I put the finishing touches on my main board last week.


Pics or gtfo!


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Mar 2006
Posts:
3487
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:12 pm 

if6was9 wrote:
There's a few things that you gotta keep in mind when doing up your first big board Spud.

Use "pancake" jack patch cables. EBS are known for them but Harley Benton do a version now for a fraction of the price. It's way neater and you can get things tighter.

The DC power adapters will eat more room than the jacks and often in weird places. I got a bunch of right angle adapters as the straight type just takes up a silly amount of room. These are what I got https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-Power-Plug-Cable-5-5-x-2-5mm-Male-90-Degree-Right-Angle-To-5/32602655011.html

You'll need to pull a good few of the rubber feel off the pedals in order for them to stick down with velcro. Some will be shallow enough that they can stay on but most will sit the pedal too high off the board to stick. If you're planning on selling them or particular about this stuff you'll want to keep them.

You don't need insane strength velcro for pedals. I've often had the stock stickers on the back of pedals peel off instead of the velcro with bog standard velcro! Guys on forums rave about extra strength and the like but the standard stuff does a superb job. You don't need to be able to pick up the board by the pedals!

I've made a few boards up lately for myself and some friends. It's therapeutic! I put the finishing touches on my main board last week.


Those EBS cables were on the shopping list alright. Tried Savins, FSV and Steamboat at the weekend but no joy. £5 a pop on Andertons but will take a look at the Harley Benton ones. Have a roll of decent velcro and have hit the rubber feet issue already. Daisy chain cables I have are all right angled so no probs there.

Biggest problem at the moment is how to attach whatever board I want to use to raise the back while keeping a bit of strength in it and keeping the base flush to the ground. And then need to leave a hole in that board to either directly access the power supply underneath or add on an IEC connection if the power supply ends up more central.

And I also want pics of your board(s) :lol:


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jan 2007
Posts:
1578
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 am 

Can get the EBS cables mail order from musicmaker.ie

I've been redoing the Wild Rocket boards this week. Must post some pics along with my guitar board for Worst.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Mar 2006
Posts:
3487
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:03 am 

moose wrote:
Can get the EBS cables mail order from musicmaker.ie

I've been redoing the Wild Rocket boards this week. Must post some pics along with my guitar board for Worst.


Would love to see them! Fishing around for ideas at the mo ;)

Might end up going with musicmaker for cables. Thomann/Musicstore have the usual limits you have to reach for free shipping and Warwick charging 22 quid to ship a bunch of their 5cm flat patch cables.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
1304
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 pm 

Image

That's my board there. Just added some pedal toppers from aliexpress during the week. I switched over to this Harley Benton spaceship 80 board about a month ago. Got a bunch of my pedals fixed (thanks moose!) and added the line 6 m5 to what I'd going on already.


Last edited by if6was9 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Mar 2006
Posts:
3487
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:03 pm 

if6was9 wrote:
That's my board there. Just added some pedal toppers from aliexpress during the week. I switched over to this Harley Benton spaceship 80 board about a month ago. Got a bunch of my pedals fixed (thanks moose!) and added the line 6 m5 to what I'd going on already.


That's pretty packed. My oaf-like feet would def be stepping on more than one at once.

Quick update, boards painted and connected.

Image

And think I've figured out the handiest cable path.

Image

Moved the modulation up top for more room due to long MIDI/TRS cable jacks. And reckon I could just about squeeze a TimeLine/BigSky up beside the H9 :lol:

Off to B&Q later to buy some shelf brackets to raise it up and it'll be mostly done other than a small bit of drilling to widen the gap between boards in a few points, cabling and attaching a power supply.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jan 2007
Posts:
1578
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:17 pm 

First up is my Wild Rocket bass board. Main signal is two fuzzes, Dobsky vB and a Nomad octave fuzz, a phaser (in a bypass loop as it's old and delicate) and the Boss flanger. Then modded/rehoused Freeze has the Ross Phaser and diy delay in it's effects loop. All that runs into an Acoustic 360 preamp I built.With that I can run into any effects loop return or power amp have most of my sound.

Image

Next my guitar board for Worst. Tuner, Snow White Auto Wah, Maestro "balls" phaser, custom Dobsky and a Battlehammer. Sometimes run a delay or two before everything for full on psych explorations.

Image

Lastly Niallo's board for Rocket. Tuner, Fuck War, Rangemaster, Elk Head, Battlehammer, Boss Flanger, Boss Phaser (in bypass loop as it's weird), modded Crybaby wah and lastly multiplex delay same as if6was9 has above.

Image


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Mar 2006
Posts:
3487
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:27 pm 

Must look up the BattleHammer... I'm intrigued

Small update tonight

Image


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
1304
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 am 

spoderman01 wrote:
Must look up the BattleHammer... I'm intrigued

Small update tonight

Image


Moose builds em. Top notch altogether


Top
 Profile   
 

Page: Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 42  Next