Back
  Damnation 2018

North from here, running amok amongst the shadows of the past
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:37 pm 

Ihsahn confirmed, excellent

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 am 

Wasn't blown away by the 4 bands announced but still almost 20 bands to be announced and it's a good laugh so will prob find ourselves there again.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:43 am 

Yeah it's only Ihsahn for me so far but had such a good time in Leeds last year I'd head anyway

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm 

Ticket bought before the announcement, none of the acts so far interest me but it's always a good laugh.

I'm guessing Primordial might get added, they played 2012 and 2015 and had Spring UK tours those years too (like this year)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 pm 

What's this like for a festival? Heard really mixed things about it. Some said it's great, others that there's such big queues between stages that you can miss loads of bands

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:58 am 

Maybe 3 or 4 years ago they opened a 4th stage and reduced the headcount, it's much better since then. Before these changes it was too busy, badly signposted inside the venue and hard to move around. These issues have all be fixed.

There's still a chance that some stages will be too busy to get in, so they try to have bands that aren't too similar on at the same time to split the crowd. For instance last year Bloodbath headlined the main stage while Grave Pleasures were on the smaller stage. I was able to see about half of both with no major difficulty. But when Dying Fetus played the larger of the downstairs venues, my girlfriend couldn't get into the stage as it was too busy.

Getting to the lower 2 stages (there's two upstairs, 2 down) crosses through the food area, so things can get a little busy if a lot of people are down there. They have a pretty decent queue system, so it's unlikely you'll miss the start of any bands even if you have to queue for a few minutes.

Since the changes I've found it quick enough to move between stages, and only missed a band when they clashed, not due to any queues.

Personally I find it a well organised day with great variety and a quality load of bands. The sound on the small stage can be hit/miss to me, but I've come out of there thinking a band were barely audible only to hear people say it was crystal. I assume positioning plays a part, you might want to get into that stage early to find a good spot.

The beer in the main stages is crap (there's also limited spirits at each stage bar), but there's a full bar further back in a cafeteria style area with a great selection. You'll probably have to chose between a good drink and a bad spot though. If you like Jagermeister, there's about a metric tonne of it on the go, including their own tent inside the main stage area.

Merch area's get very busy, as they are also in through routes to the stages.
Food is good, there's a noodle bar, pastie shop and a spar-like shop. There's also a burger/sandwhich van outside the venue.

This fair got away from me. Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:44 am 

Didn't have too many problems last year. Only queue I saw for bands was for the very first band at 14:00 (Pallbearer?) as they were still doing some setup work in the big hall. The lower level of the stage where Leng Tch'e played filled up pretty quick but standing room at the back where you come in. Same in the other stage for Vallenfyre...not much room down below but standing room on the upper level.

Did most of our drinking in the main bar as there's an outside seating area as well. Food options are ok but only stumbled across the pastie-bar after managing to get myself lost as it gets a bit maze-like the more drink you get in :D

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:13 pm 

Cheers lads, sounds like any problems before have been sorted. Only really Ihsahn grabbing me so far but I'll definitely head over if there's a few more added to my liking

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm 

Next announcement is tonight at 7pm

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:06 am 

Anaal Nathrakh

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:28 pm 

Unless something special comes up in the remaining bands, think I'll be giving this a miss. Not even a passing interest in a single band that's been named so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:03 pm 

Mourning Fucking Beloveth !!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:12 pm 

Line up is now complete:
Napalm Death
Vader
The Ocean
Ihsahn
Anaal Nathrakh
Rosetta
Ne Obliviscaris