Back
  Speaker cabinets

Page: Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 pm 

Think I'd struggle to keep that hidden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:37 am 

The HB 2x12s with the V30s are certainly popular. You will hear a lot of shit talked about "Chinese" V30s - Mesa and Marshall both have V30 variants made in England specifically voiced for them, all other manufacturers are using the same built in China V30s - so everyone from Orange right down to Harley Benton etc. V30s are very much that modern metal sound though and next to everyone is using the, so I don't know if that would play into your choice.

Wood used and dimensions etc. will have an effect on tone supposedly - I picked up a second hand Zilla Fatboy 2x12 with a Greenback/Creamback combination, sounds great. I would not want to be moving the thing. The Fatboy is the 2x12 equivalent of an oversized 4x12.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:12 pm 

Quote:
ochoill wrote:
so you should buy two and run a stereo rig

Ha ha, I'll still have the Crate half-stack so that's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Order the 2x12 anyway, thanks for the help.

Ha knew it. Who can I contact to get my commission

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:23 pm 

Andy82 wrote:
Quote:
ochoill wrote:

Ha ha, I'll still have the Crate half-stack so that's not beyond the realms of possibility.

:lol: thomann might sort the two of us out

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 pm 

ochoill wrote:
Andy82 wrote:
Quote:
ochoill wrote:

:lol: thomann might sort the two of us out

Getting a bit ahead of yourselves, no? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:57 pm 

You can't go wrong with those Harley Bentons. My brother has one here in the house and I use it all the time for recording. Its great sounding! For the money it's a no brainer. Before the price went up it was cheaper to buy the cab for the 2V30's in it than to buy them on their own!

That being said, there's alway's great deals to be had on cabs on the used market. I haven't paid more than 150 for either of my Marshall 4X12's - a 1960a and a 425a(greenback speakers). Both absolute workhorses.

4X12's often get let go for cheap by guys who haven't the space for them anymore. If you can pick them up you can get a great deal. On adverts there's always guys in places not near Dublin who have trouble shifting them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:03 am 

Ive heard a lot worse than the cheap Harley Benton 2x12's for sure. They are worth it for the price of the speakers alone. I bought one a few months ago and it sounds great recorded. The difference that using a different cab in front of the amp makes is just unbelievable, so much of the tone is in it. I also have a 4x12 Engl which sounds great - but its just different to the much cheaper 2x12 cab. For sure there's way more low end in the 4x12 Engl... but do you want all that stuff?

glenn fricker did a nice comparison recently on the HB cabs - check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX7ZDrpbD-k&t=1s and it's worth hearing the difference in a blind test in a mix, compared with a Mesa 2x12 (quite a bit more expensive)....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 am 

Floss wrote:
glenn fricker did a nice comparison recently on the HB cabs - check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX7ZDrpbD-k&t=1s and it's worth hearing the difference in a blind test in a mix, compared with a Mesa 2x12 (quite a bit more expensive)....

Cheers for that. John had posted the same link earlier so had checked it out before buying. Not that it mattered really as a Mesa 2x12 definitely wasn't in the budget :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:30 pm 

I'm a sucker for Glenn Fricker, his videos can be cheesy enough but he knows his stuff and isn't afraid to say if something is rubbish or not. He has a great review of a mesa cabinet emulator box, it was meant to be a sponsored reveiw but it was so bad he pretty much tells you what to buy instead for cheaper!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 am 

ochoill wrote:
He has a great review of a mesa cabinet emulator box, it was meant to be a sponsored reveiw but it was so bad he pretty much tells you what to buy instead for cheaper!

Took a look at that yesterday. Mad stuff. You'd have thought that Mesa would know their audience a bit better to realise that this guy would have quite a following.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:12 pm 

ochoill wrote:
I'm a sucker for Glenn Fricker, his videos can be cheesy enough but he knows his stuff and isn't afraid to say if something is rubbish or not. He has a great review of a mesa cabinet emulator box, it was meant to be a sponsored reveiw but it was so bad he pretty much tells you what to buy instead for cheaper!

I can't stand his videos. He tries way too hard to be "youtuby".

I remember interacting with him 8-9 years ago on the old Andy Sneap forums and he was sound, not very preachy and like the rest of us just trying to learn and helping spread any knowledge of recording rock and metal.

To me it looks like he's gotten burnt out from all the working with shit bands and clean up jobs. While he's trying to be funny by making fun of musicians to me it's hard to watch. I'm glad he's gotten success with the videos but I cringe so hard when I watch them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:05 pm 

if6was9 wrote:
ochoill wrote:

I remember interacting with him 8-9 years ago on the old Andy Sneap forums and he was sound, not very preachy and like the rest of us just trying to learn and helping spread any knowledge of recording rock and metal.

To me it looks like he's gotten burnt out from all the working with shit bands and clean up jobs. While he's trying to be funny by making fun of musicians to me it's hard to watch. I'm glad he's gotten success with the videos but I cringe so hard when I watch them.

Oh yeah, absolutely, like I said they're cheesy as fuck but if you can get through that there's some good stuff there. The persona sells for him I guess, people lap that shit up. He had two particularly bad ones in the last few months where he singled out one commenter each time and read the hole off them for five minutes a go - no patience for that myself, but I like the other bits where he runs through techniques, talks about his recording sessions, recommends gear and the like. I wish it was all that to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:11 pm 

ochoill wrote:
if6was9 wrote:
ochoill wrote:

Oh yeah, absolutely, like I said they're cheesy as fuck but if you can get through that there's some good stuff there. The persona sells for him I guess, people lap that shit up. He had two particularly bad ones in the last few months where he singled out one commenter each time and read the hole off them for five minutes a go - no patience for that myself, but I like the other bits where he runs through techniques, talks about his recording sessions, recommends gear and the like. I wish it was all that to be honest.

Have you seen him play guitar? He's at absolute beginner level!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 am 

if6was9 wrote:
Have you seen him play guitar? He's at absolute beginner level!

Ah he's shocking. And he always ends up playing with other lethal players, it just makes him look even worse :lol:

Page: Previous  1, 2