Back
  Controversial Metal Opinions Thread

Page: Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260  Next

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:14 pm 

I usually hate bands redoing albums, but I'd love a version of Virtual XI and X Factor with Bruce on vocals

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 pm 

Interesting. I really rate X Factor, a genuinely dark and different record for Maiden. Wouldn’t mind a version with Bruce as long as the rest of the record wasn’t touched. At the time I hated the sound of it but I really like the guitar tone on it now, the slightest of distortion on the guitars, magic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:38 pm 

90% of it is absolute shite.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:11 pm 

Skippy wrote:

I think there's a rake of great songs on the two of them. Man on the Edge, Lord of the Flies, Clansman, Sign of the Cross, Futureal...

Maybe it's just watching some videos of Bruce doing the Blaze stuff on this tour but he really adds an extra quality to them

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:11 pm 

Absolutely, Bruce breathes a lot of life into those songs (the five you listed are the only ones I've heard him sing though), which makes sense as I'm sure some of them at least would have been written when he was still in the band.

I listened to The X Factor again the other day on my way into town and, while it wasn't as bad as I'd remembered, it was clear that Blaze was the wrong man for the job, and the album suffers for it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:56 pm 

I like some of the stuff from those albums. But I agree, they really chose the wrong guy.

Bit of a disservice to Blaze, because Silicon Messiah and The Man Who Would Not Die are good listens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:44 pm 

Yeah Blaze is a decent singer but just right for Maiden. To be honest even if they just started throwing a few more tracks from that era into the setlist I'd be happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 am 

I have to totally agree with Bruce redoing both of these albums.
Blaze unfortunately was always going to be the wrong choice, it was really Maiden stepping back into Dianno vocal range, as such.
I have said before, in this forum, I do think Bruce was a tad lucky that Maiden didnt pick up a direct replacement, in the vocal stakes akin to Priest and Ripper, as there may never have been that void for Bruce to step back into.
He did basically out Maiden, Maiden with his later solo albums.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:47 am 

I've always quite liked the two Blaze albums, particularly the first, which I got into Maiden through i.e. I had no real loyalty or knowledge of Bruce, although in hindsight I fully understand the backlash against Blaze. I heard Blaze on a recent re-recording of The Sign of the Cross and he sounds much better than on the original album - I assume the guitar was detuned down or whatever musicians call that. I personally think Blaze was a decent choice for Maiden in three respects - he's English, of a similar age as the other members, had a good stage presence from his Wolfsbane days, wasn't a total unknown, and was completely different to Bruce. I can't think of any other singers that really fit that criteria. I would also say as an aside that it's clear Maiden wanted Blaze long term when they took him in, whereas Priest knew Halford would be back, so there was a different approach in each case.

The Stronghold point is very good that it was much easier for Maiden to get Bruce back. And fair play to Bruce for singing Blaze songs live; when Halford rejoined Priest I knew he wouldn't do the same.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:46 am 

prof. wedgie wrote:
Skippy wrote:

I think there's a rake of great songs on the two of them. Man on the Edge, Lord of the Flies, Clansman, Sign of the Cross, Futureal...

I was referring to Metal in general.

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:49 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:54 pm 

Ozzy Osbourne has great solo material but I wish anyone else but him was singing it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:37 pm 

Would anyone honestly bat an eyelid at Primordial if they weren't Paddies? Their albums are mostly repetitive shite... They're more guilty of widdly bloat that goes nowhere than latter-day Maiden.

There's some passionate and powerful vocals on some of their stuff (The Coffin Ships is an amazing tune, but also one that's at least three minutes too long), I inexplicably have most of their albums and if you have me the choice of sticking cotton buds in my ears or listening through the discog I honestly don't know which would be more painful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:55 pm 

Agreed 100%, the last thing of theirs that I liked was Imrama. Not trying to sound all kvlt, but I've just found everything after tedious. Good on 'em for doing well, I just don't get the attraction.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:02 am 

Lads, this is the controversial opinions thread not the handicapped opinions thread.

Page: Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260  Next