Back
  BEYOND (Ger) 'Fatal Power of Death'

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm 

I agree. The barbaric wildness of the music is what I like about it. It's one of my death metal highlights of 2013.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:19 pm 

I dunno, you guys have good taste in music from what I see but I just don't get this one. I usually just don't comment on bands/albums I don't like (if you've nothing good to say don't say anything kinda thing) but I've checked this one out a few times now and I find myself almost perplexed by it.

Its not like I like my death metal to be very structured and technical as I don't but with this I kinda feel like they just don't know what they are doing or are making it up as they go. It just seems too sloppy and all over the place, and not in any good way to my ears. Also the album title makes no sense whatsoever and I think the album art is crap. So there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:21 pm 

Prob don't need to say it again but I think this album is savage. Not 100% sold on the artwork but it's a minor gripe and it's not shit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:45 pm 

I find the album fairly unmemorable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:09 pm 

Swings and roundabouts with these things but obviously the interest in a release like this appeals to different tastes. You like Moss, for example, so to say this doesn't hold your attention makes me chuckle considering how insufferably fucking dull other music you like is! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:45 pm 

Moss are a different story altogether. They are a band who offer something completely different musically and I get why people find them dull, they are tough going if you aren't in the mood.

These lads just seem a bit ordinary when you put them in the context of the current DM scene. Their sound itself is savage and violent but the songs just blur into one. I have it on here now to see why it hasn't really clicked and, yep, it has out of tune parts and the riffs are white noise for the most part.

The vocals are cool, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 pm 

Eoin McLove wrote:
These lads just seem a bit ordinary when you put them in the context of the current DM scene.

I know this is the most banal statement ever, but it really is just a matter of opinion. I'd put the Beyond in the very upper echelon of 2013 death metal releases ahead of various albums that some of the other UG death metal heads on this forum are raving about.

As for lack of riffs, I'd say there are more riffs on any one Beyond song than the entire last Antediluvian album, for example.

Of course the Beyond album is very chaotic in places, but I think it still has enough real riffs and memorable parts to keep it anchored. In fact, it's the fact that it's almost, but not quite, totally going off the rails which I like about it. Personally I'd find it to have more to cling onto than a band like Portal, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:01 pm 

The recent Antediluvian is a mess. Portal, for me, are good in small doses and work better live.

There was a cool song on just there but it was the last song on the first feckin' side. The rest of it was unremarkable to me.

Horses for courses and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm 

The Grave Miasma album is maybe a better example. It doesn't exactly stick in your head but the listening experience is more engaging, I find.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:06 pm 

Eoin McLove wrote:
The Grave Miasma album is maybe a better example. It doesn't exactly stick in your head but the listening experience is more engaging, I find.

I loved their earlier material but couldn't really get into the full-length. I'm actually going to listen to it today to give it another chance.

At half time it's Beyond 3 Grave Miasma 1 though!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:01 pm 

Eoin McLove wrote:
There was a cool song on just there but it was the last song on the first feckin' side.

See, if you had it on CD that wouldn't be an issue. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:03 pm 

My point was more that it took until halfway through the album for something to catch my attention ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:07 pm 

Eoin McLove wrote:
My point was more that it took until halfway through the album for something to catch my attention ;)

Damn :x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:05 am 

pentagrimes wrote:
Anyhoo..some of them are also involved in this band Ambevilence, which is quite similar
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp6uamyW5GkIfSFfmdXMACQ

Thread Necromancy!
Ambevilence is now called Omegavortex and have something new coming out soon, which is good as I much prefer them to Beyond. There's a promo tape for the album on the way to me, looking forward to hearing it

edit: said promo tape was just upped to Youtube here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAWvKxh5ReQ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 am 

Listening to Omega Vortex. Sounds pretty good. Some of the riffs have an Icelandic feel.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4