Back
  A Perfect Circle

Page: Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:09 pm 

How much say would Keenan have in it, though? I know he's the 'celebrity' in the band but it's ostensibly Howerdel's band, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 pm 

I'm in the minority in that I love the new album. Would happily go to see them play in Dublin but I'd echo what others have said in that they could stand to balance the setlist out a fair bit, especially for those who aren't too keen on the new stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:13 pm 

I think it goes for anyone, whether a new album is good or not 4-5 new tracks usually does the job.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:50 am 

It'l be my third attempt to see them this year but bought tickets for Glasgow. They should play a minimum of 90mins and hopefully that'll mean a varied set.

As someone mentioned, it's pretty much Howerdels band, he's produced all their albums and writes all the music but it's hard to fathom how the guy who made Mer de Noms made this.

Mer de Noms was soft and subtle but so much more intelligent and diverse. Many of the tracks on ETE are just boring as fuck, with absolutely nothing remarkable to say about them.

I know they're gonna play a minimum of 5 ETE tracks on the set but fuck it, they're equally bound to play 5 each from MDN and Thirteenth Step plus a couple of covers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:26 pm 

I have to reluctantly agree with some people here that the new Perfect Circle album is a bit dull. There are some good ideas there and I still enjoy Keenan's phrasing, but it's very forgettable.

If Wikipedia is to believed, Keenan wants mellow and Howerdel wants rock, so on the evidence of the new album it seems that Keenan has the larger say in the band's direction.

I don't know how they can make many of the new songs interesting live. Ashes Divide, for all its shortcomings, at least had some drive and soaring guitar.

The first two APC albums are very important to me in that they signposted important parts of my life but I fear that I won't be making an effort to see them live if they don't play much from them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:26 pm 

Thing On The Doorstep wrote:
How much say would Keenan have in it, though? I know he's the 'celebrity' in the band but it's ostensibly Howerdel's band, isn't it?

There's a really good interview here Lars did with Maynard that gives some insight into APC and their song-writing process. Personally I find that stuff very interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgvEC76XEcI&t=840s

The new album has been growing on my. I'd love if they did an Irish gig. I've been particularly taken with 'So long and thanks for all the fish' : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D8am-EZmY0

I hate the album artwork..and I think 'Hourglass' rips off 'Rock Me Amadeus' :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:28 am 

Personally I think the new offering is awesome. It's def a 4am chill out album. I'd be happy enough to hear the first 6 songs off eat the elephant live as it's def the stronger part of the album. Saying that the lyrics to So long & thanks for the fish WTF?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:52 am 

Still on repeat and "Delicious" in particular, one of their finest songs in my opinion, Keenan's vocals are sublime on it as is Howerdel's solo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:46 pm 

https://youtu.be/7amoLrCq1fA

The show from Rock am Ring last night. Good to see The Hollow back in the setlist. 11min 30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 pm 

Been a fan since the beginning and I really like the new album now. Took me many listens but it's really grown on me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:36 pm 

Picked it up at the weekend and really like it, apart from the really happy song no.5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:51 pm 

Possibly album of the year for me. Loving it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:17 pm 

Agree on song number 5 something about the start of it just doesn't sit well with the rest of the album , other than that superb album his vocals are incredible , really looking forward to seeing them at hellfest next week first time getting to catch them live

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:59 am 

Yeah, that is a set I am looking forward to - 1am though - hopefully the majority of the spazzcore will be in pools of vomit by then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 pm 

They clash with Satyricon at Hellfest so going to catch them in Glasgow later in the year, might also get a longer set with a few older tracks in there.

Page: Previous  1, 2