Back
  Drums in a shed

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:02 pm 

So I just bought a lovely pearl rythmn Traveller kit.for obvious reasons I can't play in the house so I have to put them in the garden shed.im just seeing if anyone has any tips and tricks for protecting them from the likes of dampness etc. The shed isn't TOO bad as it has some electrical appliances in it.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:28 pm 

In general, rapid temperature changes are your enemy. If you can insulate the shed in any way to keep daytime heat, to stop it rapidly getting colder in the evening, do it. Woodies sell big rolls of loft insulation for about 20 quid, pack the roof with it. Seal any gaps and, if you can, line the walls too.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:10 pm 

Aye don't think I'll be insulating anything lol.came across one of these.i suppose it will do...

https://www.google.ie/search?client=tab ... bHtdaruD9M:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:43 pm 

I'd be throwing mesh heads on the thing and playing it in the house before I left it lying in a shed. Sounds like you'd be likely to warp the shells.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:22 pm 

I can't play in the house.my room is right over the sitting room and it's still quite noisy with vibrations and plus the fact the walls are almost made of cardboard.have no choice :(

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:59 pm 

Is the shed airtight? If so stick a heater in there on a timer for an hour or so a day and if it's damp then a humidifier aswell.

You could also throw a blanket over it when it's not in use. Might help with any heat/dampness changes.

Regarding noise well thats a much harder problem to solve. You want to google sound proofing NOT sound treatment. People often confuse the two but sound proofing is reducing the sound level outside the room, whereas sound treatment is making the room sound better. All the eggshells, foam, bass traps and that kind of stuff is treatment and will not make it quieter outside the shed.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 pm 

Yeah the shed is grand.its dry.its one of those wooden garden sheds.it has electric sockets and a freezer in there n all.i bought a special cloke cover thing for it

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 pm 

Drum bags might work.what ye think lads?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm 

If it's an ordinary uninsulated wooden garden shed it's going to be a furnace in summer and it'll freeze in the winter. I don't think theres any way around that without some of the suggestions you've already received. At a minimum it'll play havoc with the drum tunings and at worst the shells will warp. Who knows for the cymbals.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:14 pm 

Ah fuck it. I'll get the bags and the cover.might pick up a humidifier too.best I can do.the kit is only for practice anyway.IF they get damaged I'll just do what I was originally gonna do and just get the dw "go anywhere" practice pad set/ kit

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:21 pm 

Not good... i had drums for years under a clear perspex roof; baking in summer and freezing by night. Hardware all corroded and shells warped. Not recommended at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:00 pm 

I'm going to give you a combo option here, derived from previous answers and what I've used myself for quite a few years.

First of all forget about putting a good kit in a shit shed. Rust, wet etc. Will be fucked after a year. Keep it in your house for when you need to use it at a studio or a gig.

Instead get a set of cheap shells and put mesh heads on them. They are as close to a real playing surface as you'll get. You can tune them the same as normal heads so they even have some pitch and more importantly a realistic rebound, which is vital if you don't play the actual kit for long periods. Mesh heads will last forever in the shed. Get 2ply however, 1ply won't last pissing time. Also don't use a plastic beater on a bass drum mesh head. It will go through it. You could use a bass drum patch to sort that out though.

I don't get on the actual kit much and have no real problems switching over when I do.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 pm 

Thanks lads. Yeah it would be a shame to see the pearl kit deteriorate. I'm looking at some cheap kits on adverts ATM. Might be the way forward. Only thing I'll have a pearl rhythm traveller I won't be using lol.sure I'll see how it goes.i only really need something to practice on

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:30 pm 

don't know if you have close neighbours or what, but an acoustic kit with undampened cymbals, albeit in a shed, will have them knocking on your door pretty quickly :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 pm 

Tell me about it.loada bollocks lol

Page: 1, 2  Next