Back
  Yes or no?

Page: Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:41 am 

That the gap is narrowing is worrying. I'd have thought it'd have been a very safe bet a couple of weeks ago but now I'm not so sure. It's all about the Yes side actually turning up to vote on the day.

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:48 am 

The government have made things unnecessarily ambiguous. From the get go they should have stepped forward with a very definite, Here's what this implies, Here's what it doesn't imply, and as for the rest, that will be debated afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:17 pm 

Thats easier said than done because no matter what they say it wont imply the no campaign will still make out all sorts of rediculous statments to try and convince people that other issues will apply. Thats just the nature of the no campaign. Its up to the public to read between the lines and past the smoke screens to get the actual facts of the referendum.

Seeing that it is a narrow margin at the moment in opinion polls i still am confident that it will pass. I think there is a huge silent majority that will gladly vote yes. The pro-life campaign are making more noise as expected but i do think common scene will prevail in the end.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 pm 

dr.gonzo wrote:
I know loads of no voters and they certainly don't fit the generic middle aged crazy Catholic stereotype. Traveled from Tralee to Belfast about a week ago, about 1 Yes Poster for every 30 No posters. The yes campaign is fairly shambolic. It'll pass, maybe. Hopefully

It seems that way in Dublin too. From the day after they announced the date of the vote, no posters and entire billboards started popping up. Massive, massive billboards with babies looking shocked and statements of "I didn't know they want to legalize abortions at 6 months!?" and "Your taxes will pay for abortions!!".

Meanwhile the Yes crowd seemingly forgot to save up any of their Repeal jumper money and immediately put the hand out asking for donations.

As if they didn't know that we would be told a date and that they would maybe need to take action and have posters ready to go. As if they didn't realize that the No crowd which has been being funded for years would be ready to go.

And even now that they raised money and posters are going up, the posters are being overshadowed by the volume of the No posters, both by design and sheer numbers.

There's way more No posters up and they're significantly more eye catching than a little pink pill on a background that says something about a jail sentence or a poster that's just a bunch of colours on it.

Black Shepherd Carnage wrote:
The government have made things unnecessarily ambiguous. From the get go they should have stepped forward with a very definite, Here's what this implies, Here's what it doesn't imply, and as for the rest, that will be debated afterwards.

That has never worked. Even in the SSM referendum, which couldn't have been clearer what it was about, the No side decided to drum up parenthood and children as being part of the issue.

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:35 pm 

Jesus Phish wrote:

That has never worked. Even in the SSM referendum, which couldn't have been clearer what it was about, the No side decided to drum up parenthood and children as being part of the issue.

That is also true. But that doesn't mean you should start from an ambiguous place. Is the referendum about abortion on demand up to 12 weeks? Well, the government threw that one into the mix, so I guess it is. But is it actually? Is the referendum not just about removing a sentence from the constitution rather than about the introduction of anything new into legislation? Well, yes, but... But what? Well, no, we've decided that rather than just erasing the sentence, we'll replace it with this sentence: “Provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancies.” Oh right. And what does that mean? Seems like it means everything and nothing. Couldn't we just have voted on whether or not to remove the 8th first of all, and then decided what to do after? That way, at the very least, all those hard cases would have been at least somewhat sorted out. Etc., etc.

So yes, maybe if the government had been clear the No side still would have introduced irrelevant matters. But the fact that their position is so ambiguous, and their potential post-Yes plans even more so, has merely compounded that issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 pm 

Quote:
A huge "NO" sign has been put up on the north side of Ben Bulben mountain in Co Sligo, which has caused controversy locally.

Tommy Banks of the Sligo For Life campaigning for a No vote in the referendum on 25 May said "It's a cry from the mountain to save Ireland's babies".

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0 ... ligo-sign/

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:26 pm 

This as opposed to a country full of mass going Iona institute types is the major reason that the No side could possibly win. For most part, No voters can recognise the issues and difficulties surrounding all the "hard cases" being talked about and the feeling that the government had made a hames of the delivery is the biggest issue. For some I have spoken to a No vote success would be the necessary catalyst to have the government redraft to a more palatable proposal. Whether there would be a second vote in a short period though is anyone's guess.

Both the extreme sides of this campaign are inadvertently helping the sides that they are fighting against with their poor taste comments and tactics.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm 

Quote:
Both the extreme sides of this campaign are inadvertently helping the sides that they are fighting against with their poor taste comments and tactics.

I'm not sure lads. At the end of the day none of that stuff means anything really. Posters, Campaigns, Comments, Tactics won't influence the question that's being put to me on the day.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:01 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/thestandwitheamo ... -waters-no

13:20 or so minutes in. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:07 pm 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure lads. At the end of the day none of that stuff means anything really. Posters, Campaigns, Comments, Tactics won't influence the question that's being put to me on the day.

It might not influence you but it absolutely will influence others.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:12 pm 

kevb wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/thestandwitheamondunphy/ep-167a-8th-amendment-referendum-john-waters-no

Moron! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:45 pm 

'Yes' no question. I think it will be tight and that saddens me.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 pm 

Oskorei wrote:
kevb wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/thestandwitheamondunphy/ep-167a-8th-amendment-referendum-john-waters-no

Moron! :lol:

John Waters. The gift that keeps on giving. Such a Douchebag.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:14 pm 

Ah the scenes in Sligo, fucking desperate carry on (and the fact one of the cunts went on local radio and said sure there's teenage lads helping and the women are making tea and sandwiches)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:24 pm 

pentagrimes wrote:
The brother was saying Waterford, particularly once you get outside the city, is very much the same ratio,and I'd image that's much the same in a lot of places as you point out.

This is not and never has been a sure thing lads. As I said, it's dangerous to think it is no matter what the polls say.

Not from where I'm standing in Galway anyway, we're bombarded with yes posters, badges and the repeal jumper cult are everywhere. I had 2 door visits from Yes, nothing from No. Out the country there's a bit more No posters but still predominantly Yes.

Page: Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next