Back
  Sepultura - Schizophrenia (Appreciation)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:06 pm 

Hi,
I dug this out recently and I am always blown away by just how incredible the record still sounds 31 years after its release. From the past comes the Storm, To the wall, Escape to the Void, RIP and troops of doom (my first introduction) are still killer tracks to this day. I remember when I was 14 trying, and failing, to play the Abyss on my old acoustic guitar and being amazed at the contrast of something so gentle and intricate being followed by the speed and aggression of RIP. I am assuming it was the arrival of Andreas to the band that made this monumental (IMO) jump from MV/BD.
In the past I tended to gravitate to BTR and Arise as my go to Sep's records. I am of the age (38 :oops: ) where Chaos Ad was my introduction to the Sep's. I remember buying it on cd shortly after it's release from which I promptly moved to Arise and BTR, essentially working backwards, to eventually stumble upon Schizophrenia.

Any other fans of this record?. I am not stating I think it is their best record but I really like it and sometimes feel it gets, unfairly, over shadowed and over looked by the subsequent more successful records.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 pm 

yeah great album. it was one of the first metal vinyls i bought, from a very small metal section in Our Price (i think it was) on donegall place.
backtracking that intro on the record player gave me a few chills when i first heard it :P
my LP came with troops of doom bonus which i always really liked
i need to get it on the MP3 player and give it a proper listen again.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:50 pm 

Not their best album to be fair. But jaysus it is absolutely immense, especially for a bunch of 17 year olds...mental when you think about it.

Especially something like inquisition symphony.
Check this out, so cool to see this and a band showing it’s appreciation for such an underrated track:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgLdWCDWSw

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 pm 

That is fantastic! I never heard it before :D

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm 

Here is an outtake cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHDsaNTWmjY

Shame it never made the record :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 pm 

My go-to Sepultura album. Beneath The Remains and Arise are both miles ahead in terms of songwriting/playing/production but I've overplayed them so much over the years that this is the only one I listen to these days. Amazing that they could come up with something this good after the frankly unlistenable crap they'd released previously.

Forum Is So Good That Who Mod It Doesn't Post Here
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 pm 

Thing On The Doorstep wrote:
...after the frankly unlistenable crap they'd released previously.

:shock:

Bestial Devastation and Morbid Visions are INSANE!

And yeah, Schizophrenia is top drawer stuff. Beneath, too. Get a lot of joy from Arise, sounds massive. Chaos AD and Roots I can live without.

Think they knocked it on the head after that, yeah?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:03 pm 

Thing On The Doorstep wrote:
My go-to Sepultura album. Beneath The Remains and Arise are both miles ahead in terms of songwriting/playing/production but I've overplayed them so much over the years that this is the only one I listen to these days. Amazing that they could come up with something this good after the frankly unlistenable crap they'd released previously.

have you set 1. being in tune and 2. being in time as essential elements to qualify as listenable?

if so, yer spot on, muahaha.

no quibbles here about the unadulterated shambolic chaotic majesty that is Morbid Vision/Bestial Devestation but the leap to Schizophrenia is just tremendous, Andreas take a bow please.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 am 

for me I think its their best.. proper solid thrash.. everything else after seems like a weaker version..

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:08 am 

Love this record! I can hand on heart say this is the record that got me into metal (which has basically shaped my life)
I was 11, my older brother was 13 (going through his "im a metal head" phase, which lasted about 2 years)
I remember him playing this up super loud and when the 'Intro' came on my ears puked up and then when it went into 'From the Past Comes the Storm' I was blown away. Its was mainly Igors drums that grabbed my attention.
I became obsessed with it, would sneak into his bedroom and steal the cd until he eventually copied it onto tape for me.
While Beneath the Remains is by far their finest moment, this album is always special when I hear it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm 

Korgull wrote:
for me I think its their best.. proper solid thrash.. everything else after seems like a weaker version..

weirdly I see it as way more death than thrash! :D

also, i'm generally not one for re-recording, but I think the bonus track version of Troops of Doom tacked on to the end in the 90's deserve credit in its own right (rite?). blistering tones abound.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:01 am 

Mongreled wrote:
Korgull wrote:

also, i'm generally not one for re-recording, but I think the bonus track version of Troops of Doom tacked on to the end in the 90's deserve credit in its own right (rite?). blistering tones abound.

Its in the Death metal / Thrash zone... not nit picking.. :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:45 am 

Korgull wrote:
Mongreled wrote:
Korgull wrote:

Its in the Death metal / Thrash zone... not nit picking.. :-)

Death/Thrash indeed! (with more death)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:04 am 

Always saw those 3 core releases (Schiz., BTR, Arise) as thrash, albeit on the heavy end of the spectrum. Take away Scott Burns and give them more 'standard' vocals and it wouldn't be a point of contention.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:11 am 

Its metal and its good. No point in over complicating it. That's enough for me.