Back
  Megadeth - Killing is My Business Remix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:26 pm 

Just heard about this because Skull Beneath the Skin popped up on my Youtube front page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLPTsk707gA

A remixed and remastered version is being released tomorrow with some live extras and their original demo. Judging by that song it's probably going to be the best sounding version that's been released.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... ue-w518863

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:11 am 

Rerecorded vocals on These Boots..., though.

I've never liked that album, neither the songs nor the production.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:21 am 

I already have two versions of that album, a Combat one and the remix from about 15 years ago which was generally decent but also odd - stuff like the snare mixed really low in Rattlehead for some reason when it was nice and clear in the other songs. Then there was These Boots... with the bleep running through the more controversial lyrics. There was enough wrong with it to stop it being something you'd listen to frequently. When the mix was good, it was great, actually, but there were too many questionable anomalies. Samuelson's drumming on that album is really, really good. It's buried in the original and, hopefully, they got it right on every track this time. I'm torn about whether to buy this or not. I don't fancy buying this for a fourth time (bought it on tape back in the day) without hearing the whole thing clearly. You just can't trust a Megadeth release, new or old, anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 am 

Yeah, they haven't really taken care of their back catalogue the way their peers have. I've shied away from picking up some of the reissues on vinyl because I simply don't know what I'm going to get. Can't remember off the top of my head but I remember picking up maybe Youthanasia and being horrified that Friedmans solos were wiped and replaced with Mustaine's shitty soloing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:50 am 

I pre-ordered a signed copy for about €45. I have the other 2 versions and had the cassette before that. Skull Beneath the Skin sounded much better than the other versions and I'd be very happy if the rest was similar. I am nervous though, and I didn't know These Boots has re-recorded vocals. Horrible cover regardless. I've always loved the album particularly the bass work - oddly helped by the thin guitars.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:51 pm 

Just had a listen to this on Spotify. The main album part of the album sounds great, probably the best sounding version that exists.

The version of These Boots sounds shite as it the vocals were recorded now, the cover songs have always been the weak link of the first three albums anyway, and it's tacked on the end of the album so it doesn't disrupt the flow.

The live stuff is hit and miss, quite literally bootleg quality.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:03 am 

Released again!!!!!

After buying the last one with the bleeped out "These boots" I remain content with my original combat vinyl.

Slightly different note, the "Peace Sells" boxset is brilliant.

Great album, looking down the cross what a song!

Is that true about the solos on Youthanasia, Mustaine replaced them in subsequent releases?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 am 

It was one specific set of remasters, think he fucked with every record around 2001?

Sure for the MD45 record he claimed he simply “lost” Lee Vings vocal takes, so he re recorded those parts with his own vocals. Good thing they were the only element of the record that was lost.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:33 am 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
It was one specific set of remasters, think he fucked with every record around 2001?

Sure for the MD45 record he claimed he simply “lost” Lee Vings vocal takes, so he re recorded those parts with his own vocals. Good thing they were the only element of the record that was lost.

Yeah, around that time. They had just gone off Capital Records and the latter wanted to re-release the albums which they would do with or without the band's input. Mustaine decided to fuck-up everything, as is his way.

I recently re-read the inlay of that album and Mustaine also claimed (coincidentally) that fans initially wanted him as the vocalist, as though many gave a fuck about the album.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:11 pm 

I have the two MD45 versions alright.

I quite liked the original when it came out.

Yeah the new one was ok. Liked "some" of the guitar work that replaced some of the harmonica stuff. Lets see, its a while ago and i just put the original album on here.

I think the So far so good remaster made me stop. I did get the the Rust in Peace one but I prefer my original.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:52 pm 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
Can't remember off the top of my head but I remember picking up maybe Youthanasia and being horrified that Friedmans solos were wiped and replaced with Mustaine's shitty soloing.

Youthanasia was rereleased in 2004 and Friedman’s solos were all still intact. What you might be thinking of is the scratch solos on the bonus demo tracks. The Rust In Peace demos for example had some ropey improvised solos from Chris Poland.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 am 

lemmyisgod wrote:
Just had a listen to this on Spotify. The main album part of the album sounds great, probably the best sounding version that exists.

The version of These Boots sounds shite as it the vocals were recorded now, the cover songs have always been the weak link of the first three albums anyway, and it's tacked on the end of the album so it doesn't disrupt the flow.

The live stuff is hit and miss, quite literally bootleg quality.

Im just giving this a listen there on Spotify, the album stuff sounds great. Handy to be able to scroll down and find the other re-issue and compare them, the recent sounds way better. Great drum sound.

North from here, running amok amongst the shadows of the past
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 pm 

They finally rolled out The Conjuring again in Czech on Tuesday night