Back
  Download festival

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm 

How come that the entire event is such a TV pariah? All the other two bob events during the summer get major billing and live streaming but the premier UK metal festival gets a run out about a month after the event and maybe two tunes from the larger acts on sky arts.

If I missed some sort of streaming then obviously I’m an idiot and feel free to ignore the above.

(Ed) https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-a ... d-festival

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 pm 

They used to livestream Download but Andy Copping was crying about the cost of it & stopped livestreaming. Channel 4 covered it for a few years too. The sky arts footage is dreadful. It's too condensed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 pm 

Yeah tis a pity it's shipped off to a speciality platform and mediocre coverage then at that, anything to keep the mouldy rockers off the frontline channels I guess.

Heard it was a decent year sunshine & good sets, nice n handy to pop over to but haven't been in a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 pm 

Megalodon wrote:
Yeah tis a pity it's shipped off to a speciality platform and mediocre coverage then at that, anything to keep the mouldy rockers off the frontline channels I guess.

Heard it was a decent year sunshine & good sets, nice n handy to pop over to but haven't been in a few years.

Ah sure you couldn't go back to Download having been to European festivals at least u couldn't

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 am 

jonrhine wrote:
Ah sure you couldn't go back to Download having been to European festivals at least u couldn't

Only if they pulled something out of the bag I'd consider it ya :lol:

I mean ya know yerself, the overall value,other entertainment you're better off elsewhere you aren't tossed off the arena site at 11 o clock or rise at the crack of dawn if you don't want to miss certain bands not to mention bands get more favourable set times. Like 2 bands that played Download I notice Kreator got enough time for a whole 6 songs, while COC had did a whopping 4!! those bands they'll get closer to an hour pretty much everywhere else.

I'm a real believer in headliners don't have to make a mark with me when deciding a festival but in the case of Donington with the time structures allotted I would find it hard with the costs involved to wander there without liking 2/3 heads.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:18 pm 

I had this weekend boxed off with the family off down the country- few bottles in and sky arts recording both nights.

Shouldn’t have bothered.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:41 pm 

I watched the 2 sky arts shows. Jesus the quality of bands was dreadful. There was a shitload of this retro flares wearing piss poor southern rock. On top of that there were other bands that seemed to be completely out of place. Awful awful shite. Whatever about Avenged Sevenfold not being everyone’s cup of tea at least they can play well and write well crafted songs.
The best parts were watching and hearing Axl giving it proper welly for the Welcome To The Jungle intro. Also did anyone else see that purple haired granny getting swallowed into a pit during Volbeat? I’d never bothered with them before but I have to check them out now. Yerman has a serious set of pipes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:49 pm 

Watched Volbeat at Graspop 3rd time I've seen them without specifically going out of my way to; they drew a bigger crowd than Ozzy! They have a number of good tunes here and there but their talent is undeniable even if they aren't quite my bag tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 pm 

Seen a bit of them at Graspop...I thought they were absolutely dire!