Back
  Guitar through bass amp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:11 pm 

Heresy!

I'm on the lookout for a small combo for clean/overdriven messing around at home volumes, not for gigs or jamming and no more than a hundred quid.
Didn't fancy any of those small 6.5/8 inch guitar combo's, the ones I tried out sounded awful twiddly and boxy.

Never thought to try any bass amps when I was in the shop but acoustically thinking the low end response should be a bit better on an 8 inch bass speaker shouldn't it??
With a super clean preamp I'd imagine it would sound more rounded out with a bitta drive in front.

Fairly curious now, and was looking at something like a Fender Rumble or an Ibanez Promethean..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:18 pm 

I've played guitar through my Ashdown bass rig and it sounds ok in isolation but utterly shit when you try to play it in context with any other instrument. Chasing low end with guitar is a bad mistake, in my opinion. Guitar is all about the mids.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 pm 

Probably a 15 inch speaker in the Ashdown? FWIW I'm mostly after a clean "jazz" tone; quite dark and a bit muffled kinda job.
Have a cigar box that I installed quite a high output pickup in so curious now to see the suitability.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:07 am 

2x10

The bass cab and the speakers within are designed to push frequencies you just don't need in a guitar. For a clean jazzy tone, maybe look into flatwound strings instead of roundwounds. They'll give a much duller, rounder tone, more funamental and less harmonics which might be what you're after.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:05 am 

I like guitar through bass amps. Most of my amps sound good with both bass and guitar. I've also never liked Ashdown amps on either bass or guitar so ymmv.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:10 am 

In my earlier days, myself and a guitarist both played through bass amps. We didn't have a bassist at the time, mind. That being said we thought it sounded fairly hefty. Probably wouldn't go back to it either though.