Back
  The Big Four of Grunge

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm 

Disgusting I know......but Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.......with maybe Stone Temple Pilots coming fifth and playing the role of Testament.........yay or nay?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:21 pm 

I would honestly rate STP above all of those bands but you could only really call their first two albums grunge.

Purple was grungey I suppose but you could start to see how they were moving away from the whole thing.

Keep in mind that they were never really accepted by the grunge crowd at the time and were written off by most people as just riding the coattails of the successful grunge acts at the time.

The two albums that came after, Tiny Music and No. 4 were brilliant as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 pm 

Always enjoyed STP, AIC, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden but fuck me Nirvana were always over rated!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:28 pm 

The thrash big four were just the most commercially successful, so if there was a grunge one it'd be the same and be those bands you mentioned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:30 pm 

Mudhoney, Tad, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden for me! I’d also throw in Screaming Trees.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 pm 

I can't fathom how anyone would rate STP higher than Nirvana, Soundgarden or AIC. I could always take or leave Pearl Jam and have no real interest in them beyond VS.
Nirvana were fucking class.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:36 pm 

Of those four bands I'm a fan of AIC, Soundgarden and Nirvana, I'd like a couple of Pearl Jam songs too but could never get through a full album for some reason.

Dirt is in my top 5 albums of all time, Badmotorfinger and Superunknown would be up there too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:41 pm 

Pearl Jam will always be, in my eyes anyway, the biggest turd to have one out of that scene. Alice In Chains numero uno by a mile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 pm 

That genre seems like one big myth now, STP were excluded because they weren't from Seattle I believe laughable stuff, Let's be real AIC and Soundgarden were metal bands.

Sonic Youth arguably spurned that grunge thing on...but they were from New York.

Mad to think 4 out of the 5 bands you mentioned the front-men had such miserable ends to their lives.

I'd rate STP more than Nirvana tbh so I must be mad.

Pearl Jam same as 2 solid releases off the bat, some good songs along the way after that mind but an unbelievable bunch of filler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 pm 

Mudhoney
Melvins
Tad
Nirvana

Simple, really.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 am 

The Ruts wrote:
Mudhoney
Melvins
Tad
Nirvana

Simple, really.

Good call with the Melvins

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 am 

How about the big 7 of the latvian polka-folk-jazz fusion scene of '87?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 am 

prof. wedgie wrote:
The thrash big four were just the most commercially successful, so if there was a grunge one it'd be the same and be those bands you mentioned

Never ceases to amaze me how so many people still don't get this. If I had a euro for everytime some eejit said Exodus/ Testament/ Overkill etc. should be in the big four instead of Anthrax...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:51 am 

'Grunge' was never an actual thing so... no.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:23 am 

TAD
Mudhoney
Screaming Trees
Melvins

but if I had to pick one album out of all the above, and Soundgarden, AIC, Afghan Whigs, Rein Sanctio and all the superb old 'Seattle' bands.... well, it'd have to be

Truly - fast stories from kid coma

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next