Back
  Bands Not Writing their Own Songs

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 pm 

Reading a couple of interviews with Dee Snider recently where he snidely remarks that a lot of Bands don’t write their own music/songs. In one of the interviews I think it’s obvious he’s talking about Metallica’s Black album. Definitely could be on to something there I think, the singles especially could’ve quite possibly been written with at least outside help. “Wherever I may Roam” is practically Wanted Dead or Alive....

Anyone else got any suspicions?

Last edited by Cryptic Stench on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:59 pm 

No. Hetfield never needed assistance coming up with riffs. Any ideas that they didn’t write that album are itter shite.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:03 pm 

I don’t know dude, there could be merit in some of it, I’m not saying the entire record. But could be onto something in that someone wrote or arranged with them.

It must happen elsewhere!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:06 pm 

It happens elsewhere, just have a look at Desmond Child’s CV.

It didn’t happen on the black album, however.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:53 am 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
“Wherever I may Roam” is practically Wanted Dead or Alive....

Anyone else got some suspicions?

I’ve got suspicions that this is one of the dumbest statements I’ve heard in a very long time

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 am 

Any chance you could quote or link to or take a photo of the Snider interview you're talking about? Bob Rock was a producer with the band on the black album who, in that role, most likely made some arrangement suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 am 

Can’t find the interview with the quote I’m looking for but he said it again there in a recent Blabbermouth linked one, it’s a more general comment in that one. I meant for a general discussion to be honest, not to zone in on Metallica, that one was the immediate thought.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:03 am 

Bar Ozzy and that Megadeth album Risk, I don't see this as any issue within metal. Although as someone said, producers will often make many arrangement and creative suggestions greatly improving songs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 am 

That’s the thing, Snider is claiming it does happen in metal... obviously not your Cannibal Corpses etc...

“I'm not gonna name names, but some of your favorite metal artists don't write their own songs — even though they put their name on it and buy out the people who write the songs. I'm not gonna say who it is. But the fact of the matter is not everybody writes… “

Also he’s clearly not referring to the likes of Desmond Child, he’s talking about bands buying out the credits.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:32 am 

dogday wrote:
Bar Ozzy and that Megadeth album Risk, I don't see this as any issue within metal. Although as someone said, producers will often make many arrangement and creative suggestions greatly improving songs.

That’s the producer’s job. Sometimes it goes beyond arrangements and soundscape concepts into songwriting but, again, the producer is there to get the best out of the songs. That is what they’re there for. The sound engineer is there to record and ensure a base level of overall audio quality. The producer is there to sculpt the song into something more than just some lads playing in a room, whatever it takes.

Judas Priest, for example, used Chris Tsangarides’s riff to make the meat of A Touch Of Evil. You cannot overlook the influence of Rubin on Reign In Blood or Lange on Hysteria. They made thise albums what they are. If you really want to hear the difference a producer makes, have a listen to RATM demos compared to the album. Those fuckers should suck Gggarth’s cock every morning for giving them a career.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:24 am 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
“I'm not gonna name names, but some of your favorite metal artists don't write their own songs — even though they put their name on it and buy out the people who write the songs. I'm not gonna say who it is. But the fact of the matter is not everybody writes… “

Snider seems to be just trying to cover his own weak position by claiming others do it. Also, notice how he says 'some of your favourite metal artists' and 'I'm not gonna name names' and then switches to the singular, 'I'm not gonna say who it is'. He's talking out of both sides of his hoop.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:25 am 

Didn't Jamie Jasta write the majority of Snider's latest album?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 am 

Yeah, I’d say that’s where he’s going with it. Others do it, I’m just justifying me doing it by putting it out into the open.

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:06 pm 

And what if Metallica didn't write Master of Puppets? What if it was actually Alice In Chains? :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dcUgzlcBkE

(Nice little coincidence that this popped up in my FB feed only this morning.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:15 pm 

Lol! Don’t think anyone is doubting Puppets! Good vid.

There’s also zillions of instances of band members not playing on records. Didn’t Marty Friedman once bitterly claim Dan Huff did some of the Lead Guitar on Cryptic Writings?

Page: 1, 2  Next