Back
  The future of CD's?

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:08 pm 

I'm strangely not a vinyl collector...but my collection of metal CD's has grown exponentially over the last few years. I have an ipod but other than that I rarely stream/download, so bit of a dinosaur all round.

Here's the thing though, am I fuckin stupid spending my hard earned cash on such an outdated musical format?..I just feel that I like to 'own' music not just rent it so to speak. I need a mystic meg to give advice here.... Like in 10-20 years time, will I even have a device to play these mountain of CD's on? Should I just get out the game and sell sell sell now before they are worth nothing like DVD's practically are now?....aarrrggghhh!!!! :?: :?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:24 pm 

Oddly enough, just bought some for first time in a long time this weekend. Very handy to have in car, and while it is a medium that's gone out of fashion, certinly not dead. Tapes had a brief comeback there a while a go. There even more useless format.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:26 pm 

Everything comes back around. If CDs are uncool today, in twenty years time they'll be 'back'. It's all a load of wank. Just buy the cunts and fire them on in the car and fart directly in your enemies' faces. For me it's CD and vinyl these days with the odd tape. My last car had a tape player so I bought loads of tapes. The new one had a CD player so I buy CDs. And vinyl just to show the neighbours how cool I am when they look in through my window.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:42 pm 

I wouldn't worry about not having something to play them on. You can still get VCR players.

I don't have the physical space for physical format music so I just buy it all digitally. I don't like just steaming from Spotify, the rates artists get is bullshit and I like owning the music. Bandcamp gets priority and then Google play since I can use phone credit to buy albums with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:59 pm 

It’s really all what you are interested in that matters, as long as you are buying music new or old, download or physical, it goes towards the artist and that’s what matters.

I personally like having physical copies of music be it CD or vinyl, or ,in the odd case, cassette. I like having a collection but that’s a certain mindset that might not apply to everyone. I can completely understand space issues and the futility of hoarding over time, it’s a pain if you have to move house or even just organizing your house/living quarters around it all.

I say do what you like but continue to buy one way or another.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:01 am 

I don't know what the fuck I want,cds never opened as I have probably downloaded it from some site beforehand but if I like it i like a physical copy and to support the artist.I've also started buying vinyl again (still have my 80s collection) for stuff I really like and will most likely never play it lol...so really I just need a bigger house...lol

North from here, running amok amongst the shadows of the past
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:15 am 

It's something I was thinking about recently when I went to buy a new cd player, virtually nothing to be had that didn't involve docking and blutooth and fuck knows what. As for getting the classic cd /cassette hi fi combo, no chance. And absolutely no 3disc or 5 disc players anywhere. Tell ya, as I was looking through the latest Argos catalogue I too was envisioning a future with a mountain of unplayable cds but I'd imagine Mc Love is right. Here's to the future cd hipsters.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 am 

I'm still a CD buyer and CDs are, by a long way, my preferred format but I don't see a future for them beyond the next handful of years. Unlike records or tapes, there is no difference to the listening experience - absolutely no difference, perceived or otherwise, whatsoever - between that of a CD and a download. A CD was just the best means of transporting a .wav file as things stood in the 80's. That's all it is, a collection of .wav files. The file you download is exactly the same file. The advancement of communication technology has rendered it utterly obsolete. I don't see a sentimental attachment to the CD listening experience for most, in the way which brought records and tapes back from the dead.

Where the lower resolution of a cassette or a record has a certain charm to the sonic characteristics, the 44kHz 16 bit resolution of the file on the CD is already being superseded by higher resolution which are genuinely better (better as in an even more accurate representation of the original sound waves, the entire purpose of the CD in the first place). It's debatable whether it makes that much of a difference to the average consumer - most are happy with 128k mp3. On the other hand, is there anyone who prefers and would pick the quality of a DVD over that of a Bluray, given the choice?

Factor in the considerable cost of manufacturing, transporting and stocking the physical .wav disk - and the rapidly dwindling amount of places to sell them - and it's clear the CD has no long term future when the very same file, or even a higher resolution one, can be sold directly from a band to you with all those extra expenses removed from the transaction. With luck, the price of lossless downloads will soon start to reflect the absence of those traditional manufacturing, transportation and seller costs. It won't be too long before a higher resolution becomes the digital standard and then someone trying to sell you a lower resolution digital file will seem like an act of stupidity. Unlike with records and tapes, there is no physical limitation to how much information a digital representation of a sound wave can contain. There is no permanent standard.

For the time being, I'll continue to buy CDs because that's what I do, but I won't be surprised when it's just not possible anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 am 

Ask myself this question regularly myself. CDs are my preferred form of buying music manly down to space, but also down to my completist nature. I stopped buying vinyl in the late 90s, and I feel if I go back to buying regularly it would cost me a small fortune as I’d want to have complete collections of bands discographies. I’d also have to invest in a decent record player. I mainly buy for the car too but I find these days when I’m in the car I’m usually listening to nursery rhymes to keep the young fella happy. Rarely I’m in the car in my own and when I am it’s usually short trips.

I’m the same as Juggz though I’ll keep buying. I want to support the artists and I love having the artwork and looking through the booklet. Find myself less and less pouring over lyrics these days - not arsed in the main. But I think it’ll die. I can’t see a nostalgic return to the cd though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:21 am 

Mark my words, dudes. Anything that goes on the wane eventually becomes coveted for that reason and will make a resurgence. Practicality has nothing to do with it. It happened with vinyl, it happened with tapes. I expect there'll soon be a resurgence in bands releasing CD-r demos because they were cool in the early 00s, which is coming up on the magic number, twenty years!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:02 am 

I've bought more cd's this year than over the last 10 years combined.. Ive kinda fallen in love with them again... awwwwww..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:07 am 

Placing my preorder now for the Bacterium CDr so.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 am 

Haha, no chance. I fucking hate CDrs. Never liked them and rarely bought them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:06 pm 

I have started buying more cds due to the prohibitive nature of the cost of vinyl when you add postage etcc. Buying habits in the last few years looks like this:
2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
LPs 41 102 100 241 146 175
Cds 50 56 51 31 25 36

As you can see Cds are making a comeback

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:37 pm 

GOATLORD wrote:
I have started buying more cds due to the prohibitive nature of the cost of vinyl when you add postage etcc. Buying habits in the last few years looks like this:
2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
LPs 41 102 100 241 146 175
Cds 50 56 51 31 25 36

As you can see Cds are making a comeback

Do you keep an excel spreadsheet of your purchases? That’s mad. I’ve no idea whatsoever what I’ve bought this year. Kinda impressive I must say

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next