Page 2 of 381
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 379, 380, 381  Next

<  MI Users Confront The Wider World  ~  Film

Era VulgaChris
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 11754 Location: dionysian denial
Primer's a good one alright.

Saving Private Ryan was utter balls after the first 25 minutes I thought.

If you enjoyed Old Boy so much Tom then make sure to check out his other vengeance movies; Sympathy For Lady Vengeance is a cracking movie...almost flawless storytelling.

I loved Zodiac too but I know a lot of people just hated it. Was very impressed how seamlessly it slid from being a story about one character into a story about a secondary character in the lead. Brilliantly acted.

Good brain dead fun would go to Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang which I recently re-watched. Splifferific.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
polymer
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Jan 2006 Posts: 1561 Location: Hakushu Distillery
TSOP wrote:
Brick?

I don't think he meant must see teen movies.

"Teen movies"? I think you've the wrong 'Brick'.
colmtesticles
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Jan 2006 Posts: 4835 Location: www.myspace.com/nephridiumband
ive watched downfall and pans labyrinth in the last few days.
Both must see.
colmtesticles
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Jan 2006 Posts: 4835 Location: www.myspace.com/nephridiumband
polymer wrote:
TSOP wrote:
Brick?

In fairness its harldy a teen movie. Its a movie that is about teens but its not teen movie garbage
polymer
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Must add 'Fargo' and 'No Country for Old Men', also.
polymer
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
colmtesticles wrote:
polymer wrote:
TSOP wrote:
Brick?

In fairness its harldy a teen movie. Its a movie that is about teens but its not teen movie garbage

Exactly. If 'teens' make up the main characters, is it then a 'teen movie'? If so, 'Brick' is the most complex teen movie I've ever seen.
No Thrash? No Cash!
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
'No Country for Old Men'

Brilliant film. Javier Bardem is fucking stone cold in that, the scene in the gas station with the old timer is chilling.
TSOP
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh give over, this film must have a serious cult following. It's just another type of garbage.

Quote:
Brick is about high schoolers that all somehow have the dispositions, intelligence, vocabularies, mannerisms and lifestyles of no-personality 30+ year olds. There's murder, a criminalistic "Kingpin" complete with posse & bodyguards, a high society seductress and a hero (all the stuff found in any normal high-school, no?). The high school hero is looking for those responsible for the murder and he gets mixed up with the high school Kingpin, his high school henchman and the high school high society seductress. Brick was trying to be like a high-schoolers-go-Pulp-Fiction or something. But it played more like a bad, R-rated after-school movie special.

My thoughts exactly. Wink

Move along.
polymer
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
TSOP wrote:
Oh give over, this film must have a serious cult following. It's just another type of garbage.

Quote:
Brick is about high schoolers that all somehow have the dispositions, intelligence, vocabularies, mannerisms and lifestyles of no-personality 30+ year olds. There's murder, a criminalistic "Kingpin" complete with posse & bodyguards, a high society seductress and a hero (all the stuff found in any normal high-school, no?). The high school hero is looking for those responsible for the murder and he gets mixed up with the high school Kingpin, his high school henchman and the high school high society seductress. Brick was trying to be like a high-schoolers-go-Pulp-Fiction or something. But it played more like a bad, R-rated after-school movie special.

My thoughts exactly. Wink

Move along.

Ah, the beauty of internet forum discussion. Case closed.
polymer
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
No Thrash? No Cash! wrote:
Quote:
'No Country for Old Men'

Brilliant film. Javier Bardem is fucking stone cold in that, the scene in the gas station with the old timer is chilling.

"so, you married into it?"
TSOP
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Are you suggesting we go back and forth on why we liked/disliked the film? There's nothing more to say.

It's a bit controversial but I think people who do enjoy movies that move them in all sorts of ways should see Irreversible. Such a disturbing jaunt into the darkest recesses of the human psyche.
Era VulgaChris
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 11754 Location: dionysian denial
I thought Irreversible was a bit crap. And I'd kill people for Monica Belluci. Controversial, sure, but the storyline is extremely mundane once you strip away the shock factor. I think the French like to do things in movies that other people won't. Baise-moi is another crap but 'shocking' film. Irreversible is well acted but...just lazy on the dialogue and story front, relying on disturbing images too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mickO)))
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
TSOP wrote:
Are you suggesting we go back and forth on why we liked/disliked the film? There's nothing more to say.

It's a bit controversial but I think people who do enjoy movies that move them in all sorts of ways should see Irreversible. Such a disturbing jaunt into the darkest recesses of the human psyche.

Excellent film. Don't think I could sit through that rape scene again and theirs not many films I can say that about. I have seen two other good films with the main actor from Irreversible, La Haine which was excellent and Satan which was ok both are also french
bunit
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
For recent movies cloverfield is awesome
TSOP
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Basically a revenge story. Though as mundane a theme as it is by now, a lot of new films still feature revenge. Old Boy, Kill Bill and what have you.

Now Baise-Moi was muck. I think they knew they could cash in on the whole "oh we're controversial" market when all they had was a dodgy camera and a barrel full of pish. Can't believe I had to waste money buying that film just so I could see it. Throwing it in the bin was the happiest day of my life.