Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

<  The Irish Metal Forum  ~  Black Metal Gods

thefamilyghost
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 2042 Location: In a dream or nightmare,where love gives way to hate...
I refer of course to Venom and not what later became known as black metal because as we all know there can be only one band deserving of that title.But i'm waffling a bit now.

Anyhow,currently have the new Deluxe edition of the Black Metal CD/DVD blasting at the minute. No apologies for the upcoming profanity but WHAT A FUCKIN ALBUM ! Not exactly a newsflash I know but perhaps time has allowed you heathen dogs to become forgetful about the impact this album has made over the years. 1982 this beast was unleashed for fucks sake!!!!!!

Teachers pet was always a weak spot I grudgingly admitted in the past.I've sinced realised why,I wasn't listening to it loud enough. So by order of his Satanic majesty,stop whatever meaningless task you are doing right now,put this album on ( if you dont have it then buy it now or accept that you are a lame gimp)and crank the fucker and imagine what it was like to hear this in 1982 for the first time.

That this band invented the term Black Metal to perfectly describe the combination of styles all tied together by their unique style and sound and for it then to be used to desribe (initially anyway)weak and tinny sounding shite and /or any band that paints their faces and has their photo taken in a wood ...at night..with axes is a travesty of the highest order.And it annoys my sac.

None of this rant is open for debate I should add. I'm merely stating facts here.
BuckfastSteve
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
agreed on all above points, a definite classic and in my top five.
Hellbound lifer
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 444 Location: Kells,Co.na Mhi / Miami
Agreed , Great album. However I always skip over Teachers Pet, hate that song.
Pauricgallagher
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Nov 2007 Posts: 5137 Location: Not drinking in the Woolpack, cause that's in Emmerdale.
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, and that you started it, I knew it was going to be about Venom Laughing
Dark Stranger
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 14962 Location: Holding a fiery stride
Agree with you 100% Kieran! I still remember buying my first Venom album at a record fair in the mid-90s, I saw the evil cover, evil "Welcome To Hell" title, and the quote about drinking the vomit of the priests blew my mind. HAD to have it. "Black Metal" followed a few months later when the fair came back!
mori90210
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Got the deluxe version myself last week. I had never properly listened to this album before. So when I saw that lovely looking chunky (evil) package I had to get it.
I've been spinning it everyday since. I can hear nearly every single other metal band in their tunes it's unreal. Metallica, Slayer, Bathory Hellhammer, and shitloads of second wave BM. Shame on me for only digging this album age 30.
Embarassed
hellfire
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Whats on the dvd? Is there any extra tracks on the cd?
Flem
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 22 Apr 2007 Posts: 3715 Location: Next door to Malice
thefamilyghost wrote:
and crank the fucker and imagine what it was like to hear this in 1982 for the first time. .

I'm sure there's a few here that could probably tell you.
thefamilyghost
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 2042 Location: In a dream or nightmare,where love gives way to hate...
The dvd is the same as the old 7th date of hell video plus 3 promo videos. Unfortunately like the old video it aint the whole gig so again Rip Ride is omitted. Crying or Very sad

The cd has 11 bonus tracks which basically are the 12"s,outtakes or radio session tracks that all venomaniacs will have on one release or the other.
It matters not though.
nar marratuk
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 6852 Location: carrigaline,GOTHAM CITY
You really can't fault VENOM on their first 3 lps as they are all just 10/10 imo. Totally deadly in their day. My fave of the first 3 would have to be "at war with satan" but they are all really close. The title track of that must be one of the most epic tracks ever written.....I want to put it on straight away.
Total legend band and will always rank in my favourites. "at war with satan" was my first VENOM album I heard back in 84 and being someone who was still trying to come to terms with the "highway to hells" and "number of the beasts" it was a major shock when I heard the lyrics.
hellfire
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
thefamilyghost wrote:
The dvd is the same as the old 7th date of hell video plus 3 promo videos. Unfortunately like the old video it aint the whole gig so again Rip Ride is omitted. Crying or Very sad

The cd has 11 bonus tracks which basically are the 12"s,outtakes or radio session tracks that all venomaniacs will have on one release or the other.
It matters not though.

Ah the old radio one sessions etc. Might get it for the dvd
thefamilyghost
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
nar marratuk wrote:
You really can't fault VENOM on their first 3 lps as they are all just 10/10 imo. Totally deadly in their day. My fave of the first 3 would have to be "at war with satan" but they are all really close. The title track of that must be one of the most epic tracks ever written.....I want to put it on straight away.
Total legend band and will always rank in my favourites. "at war with satan" was my first VENOM album I heard back in 84 and being someone who was still trying to come to terms with the "highway to hells" and "number of the beasts" it was a major shock when I heard the lyrics.

That would be my choice also. Doesn't get any better than AWWS.
I actually first heard Venom kinda later than most I'd say. I had heard the track Nightmare briefly once and later persuaded a mate to buy the only Venom cassette in a local shop- Prime Evil Laughing I liked it though and swiftly ordered Black Metal on vinyl (roadrunner reissue). It just sounded so different to anything I'd heard before.It really did sound nasty and evil.Unforgettable.So I next got Welcome To hell and AWWS.
And some of the riffing from Mantas has gone unmentioned thus far. Pretty unmistakeable and deserving of more praise than he gets.Like Cronos has said before NO-ONE plays those riffs like he can.Even Mike Hickey, technically a better guitarist struggled to play them by his own admission.
exiled in ennis
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Got Black Metal when it came out in 82 and it just blew me away. At the time the press considered them a joke Laughing
thefamilyghost
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
PM sent your way Mr.Clancy.
nar marratuk
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 6852 Location: carrigaline,GOTHAM CITY
Cheers Kieran!!