<  MI Users Confront The Wider World  ~  Ice Hockey (NHL 11/12) + Local

Padre Pio
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 25 May 2007 Posts: 6867 Location: The great omnipotent goat sits on the pentagram
I've never been to an ice hockey match, but I have visited the Finnish Ice Hockey Hall of Fame in Tampere. It was actually quite interesting.

I'd love to go to a big international game like Finland v Sweden or US v Canada.

Edit: Just remembered I had a ticket for Luxembourg v Mongolia (!!!) in the Division 3 championships in Luxembourg a few years ago, but I couldn't go due to having a terrible cold.
ResidentOfBok
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Regarding the NHL.. If you haven't picked a team yet I'd say go for Les Habitants / Habs / Montreal Canadiens.. You won't see a more passionate team or fan base in any sport anywhere in the world...

Seconded!

That being said, with it being opening game in the NHL last night, it wasn't a great night for Montreal. Laughing The first period had so much promise, but they never toubled Reimer with any high shot despite hovering around the Toronto net so much and wasting power-play after power-play.
A lot being made of Lombardi scoring for the first time in so long - I think you'd need to have no arms not to be able to tap away that puck. It fell so kindly for him. Still some positives to take away from the loss. Some really nice skating and good pressure in the early part of the game, and I thought Subban did well. People are somewhat obsessed with him but he put in a solid shift last night.

Up next - Winnepeg. Hopefully they can burst that bubble around the Jets.

Also, it's awesome to see that the Bruins lost, and that Canucks game looks like it was a shooting gallery. Looking forward to seeing the highlights from those.
Squire
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jan 2006 Posts: 2067 Location: Trapped in the tunnel of goats
Padre Pio wrote:
I've never been to an ice hockey match, but I have visited the Finnish Ice Hockey Hall of Fame in Tampere. It was actually quite interesting.

I'd love to go to a big international game like Finland v Sweden or US v Canada.

Finland Vs Canada is where it's at John. I played ice hockey as a kid and never really gave it much of a look in a couple of years, but I ended up watching a load of the Finland Vs Canada matches by chance and they kill each other.
miotal_dubh
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2005 Posts: 329 Location: Carrigaline Sometimes
Big hockey fan for years, without ever knowing all the players.
Pittsburgh Penguins fans since the early 90s of Lemieux, Jagr (who is back for Philly this year), Larry Murphy, Tom Barasso et al.

Doing my first fantasy hockey season as well, should be a blast and I'll be up to my eyes in stats.
Did fantasy baseball this year and it was the most fun I had in ages (I am sad).

This year the Pens will probably be without Crosby for a good while.
That fella is so fragile! Everything is so hush hush you know something is up, just like Indianapolis Colts kept quiet of Peyton Manning before announcing he will miss a lot game time...I'd be surprised to see him this season...
Crosby will be back in the new year....
miotal_dubh
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
Padre Pio wrote:

Edit: Just remembered I had a ticket for Luxembourg v Mongolia (!!!) in the Division 3 championships in Luxembourg a few years ago, but I couldn't go due to having a terrible cold.

That would have been some craic!
TemplarOfSteel
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 Posts: 7264 Location: High Above The Rolling Waves, In Labyrinths Of Coral Caves...
I love ice hockey, probably my favourite sport to watch. Dave, how much was ESPN America? On Sky or Virgin?

[quote="ResidentOfBok"]Up next - Winnepeg. Hopefully they can burst that bubble around the Jets.

quote]

Winnpeg have more to prove though, so should put up a fierce fight.

Did Boston lose from overconfidence? I hope that loss was a shock and they bring it up a gear for the next match.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miotal_dubh
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TemplarOfSteel"]I love ice hockey, probably my favourite sport to watch. Dave, how much was ESPN America? On Sky or Virgin?

ResidentOfBok wrote:
Up next - Winnepeg. Hopefully they can burst that bubble around the Jets.

quote]

Winnpeg have more to prove though, so should put up a fierce fight.

Did Boston lose from overconfidence? I hope that loss was a shock and they bring it up a gear for the next match.

Philly signed this fella in the pre season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Bryzgalov

He played amazingly well, and pulled off some top drawer saves. Boston were probably the better team. Boston and Philly would be two of the better teams so one beating the other is not a surprise, if Boston had lost to Edmonton..well....
Kungfu Jesus
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Anyone got a clue who is broadcasting the games? ESPN have nothing listed!!
miotal_dubh
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Kungfu Jesus wrote:
Anyone got a clue who is broadcasting the games? ESPN have nothing listed!!

haven't got a definitive answer, but this thread here is following the issue:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1346675&page=29
ResidentOfBok
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
YUS! Take that Winnepeg! Very Happy

Hopefully Cammalleri isn't adversely affected by that cut across the knee, he did brilliantly to make that first goal.
miotal_dubh
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
reading rumours this could be on Setanta....
Kungfu Jesus
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
miotal_dubh wrote:
reading rumours this could be on Setanta....

Hopefully they sort it out soon, I'm busting to get a night in watching the live games and boozing with the lads!
miotal_dubh
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Confirmed for Setanta.
Matches late this weekend
Kungfu Jesus
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Boned.

You can order it on Sky but not cheap and I've Virgin Media. Arghh
mower liberation front
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 1558 Location: Somewhere Out In Space
miotal_dubh wrote:
Confirmed for Setanta.
Matches late this weekend

Nice one. Already have Setanta for NASCAR, this is a nice bonus. Now if the Rangers could just win a game.