<  The Irish Metal Forum  ~  Corsair

Prolonged Spumesence
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jun 2005 Posts: 3915 Location: Bloody Pit of Horror
Picked up this lot's self released CD's Alpha Centauri & Ghosts of Proxima Centauri on a whim recently from Black Tears. Their name and in the descriptive blurb immediately brought a hope to mind that they would be something akin to Slough Feg so I decided to take the plunge and splashed out the meager few quid for both releases. Have to say I'm not disappointed in the slightest with what I got. Both releases show huge promise. Especially "Ghosts…" which is much more together sounding stylistically

Not to dissimilar to Hammers of Misfortune or Slough Feg…Actually maybe they sit somewhere in between the two. They've got the slightly progressive vibe of HoM and the Lizzyesqe twin guitar melodies of Slough Feg. I'm also hearing some AC/DC and Hawkwind in there in places too.

The handmade packaging on both releases is a really nice touch also.

You can apparently download the last one from their bandcamp.

www.skykrakken.com
www.corsair.bandcamp.com
www.myspace.com/skykrakken
Bane
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Cool band. Their first album (or EP?) "Alpha Centauri" took me a good few listens before it clicked with me. It's definitely the least metallic of the two. Actually it's a bit all over the place to be honest.

Its instrumental opener "Skykrakken" has Thin Lizzy written all over it. The second track "Beware The Black Fleet" starts out with a 1970s Black Sabbath riff that somehow makes its way into a run-of-the-mill Southern rock number, although there is an underlying Sabbath vibe through most of it. The third song "Last Night on Earth" reeked so much of David Bowie that I had to Google in order to make sure it wasn't a cover. Unreal! Three quarters of the way through it we're even given a Jimmy Page-esque solo. The fourth song "Space Is A Lonely Place" steps it up a gear after two minutes but it's still not exactly Metal per se. Lots of Lizzy influence in it. I was hoping the fifth and final track "Starcophagus" would end the album on a heavy note but it didn't. The first three minutes are great but the remaining three minutes are the audio equivilent of holding the front door open at a party wishing people would just hurry up and fuck off home.

The weird thing is, none of what I just wrote is a complaint as such. It's a really enjoyable album, just completely directionless.

Their second album "Ghosts of Proxima Centauri" is much more together as Jonathan suggested. Some great Slough Feg/HOM bits off it and it's certainly the heavier sounding of the two. I think I might prefer the vocals on the debut though. Will have to give it a few more spins.