Page 10 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

<  MI Users Confront The Wider World  ~  Smartphone & tablet technology

Bane
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Anyone with a SII or HTC or whatever who gets ICS, if you want to get rid of the stock Samsung/HTC skin and opt for the ICS one (not quite officially the ICS one but as close as you'll get), download this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.launcher
spoderman01
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
wez_wildheart wrote:
spoderman01 wrote:
Managed to upgrade my S2 to ICS (4.0.3) last night. Had the usual repeated attempts with Kies but finally got it down and it looks great. Slight changes to the screen unlock, Smart Care which seems to be a diagnstic tool, slight menu and keyboard layout changes. And it could just be in my head but the phone seems faster.

On a similar note, got 3.2 for the Galaxy Tab as well but that could be out for months for all I know.

Can I ask what I should be looking out for on Kies? Just hooked up the USB and phone to the application and nothing to prompt me on any update.

Prob a silly question has it definitely picked up the phone? Sometimes it doesn''t recognise it first time out. You should see GT-I9100 on the side bar when it's connected.
You should then get a popup box telling you that there's a firmware upgrade available. Though I think there's a checkbox for turning off the automatic checking so maybe that's set. Kies can be a pain in the arse at the best of times.
wez_wildheart
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I get the GT in the top left of the program but no pop up as of yet. Looks like I will have to wait a while longer haha
sludgewhore
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I updated to ICS via Kies (Three Network)
The scrolling was terrible on the browser, even scrolling between home screens and apps was slow and jittery.
I flashed mine back to Gingerbread.
Not impressed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wez_wildheart
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I did read there were a lot of issues with 3 network and the upgrade. Something to do with bloatware?
Bane
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
One of my colleagues is on 3 network and he got it alright.
spoderman01
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...have noticed a problem where the phone is no longer connecting to wifi. Have googled it and some suggestions are to reboot the router but I'm in a hotel at the mo so can't do that....without getting tossed out Laughing

Will try to connect to the wifi in work tomorrow and see what happens

:edit: seemed to sort itself out after rebooting a few times. Still strange as it defo wasn't the wifi as the laptop and tablet were connected all along.
spoderman01
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Also had to re-download Flash after the upgrade. Got some odd error message from the Adobe link but after installing direct from the Google Play store, it seems to be ok.
skadk666
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 Posts: 2748 Location: Ah hayer, leave it bleedin ouh!
Got a Sony Experia S there the other day. First smartphone I've owned and wow, I'm a bit over run with what this thing can do! Fantatstic piece of technology!

Still finding things that it can do now and I havent stopped messing with it since I got it!
Brox
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Nov 2009 Posts: 1244 Location: Lisburn....N.Ireland
I have a samsung omnia lite windows effort.......its pretty crap tbh......good internet and sat nav,thats about it......seems to freeze quite alot .In fairness to samsung though they did replace the screen for free and updated it when out of warranty.......i have never got Kies to work.
Paul keohane
Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2005 Posts: 2795 Location: Carrigaline,Co Cork
point me in the right direction please lads,going to get a new phone soon,may as well get one of these smart phones,basically all i want is to brows the net and it must have a radio,pay as you go,150 euro price range.

One other thing,with smart phones,does the phone have to be left on for the alarm to work??
Padre Pio
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 May 2007 Posts: 6867 Location: The great omnipotent goat sits on the pentagram
Lads, what's the best mid range smartphone, say around 200. For my father-in-law to surf the net on as big a screen as possible and check the net.
Naraka
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I've been offered an upgrade of a Samsung Galaxy S3 or an IPhone 5. I have an IPhone 4 but I don't mind switching to Android if the S3 is better. Anyone got any advice as to which is the better phone?
alsvartr666
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Galaxy S3 is without a doubt the better phone.