<  Music Gear  ~  Elixir Strings and Floyd Rose style tremolos

Andy82
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Have put a set of elixir strings on a guitar with a Licensed Flyod Rose tremolo. They have some coating on them that gives them longer life which as far as I can tell works. They sound great also.

I have noticed that the guitar now goes out of tune if I bend a string to much. Also the strings have come out of the bridge a few times.

Anyone had any issues with these where the coating on the string causes a problem with locking the string into the bridge. Or do I just need to eat more wheatabix and tighten the lock.
Leather Mike
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Best thing to do is be a good boy and go back to Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom's Razz

The going out of tune due to bending too much will happen until the strings stretch properly and "bed in" as it were. This will settle down after some playing. It's frustrating, yes, but it does happen so dont worry aobut it too much. Jsut keep tweaking and you'll find they stretch out soon enough.

Strings coming out of the bridge could be caused by the coating providing less friction and therefore less grip, your string-blocks being worn away, or the blocks not being tight enough, try tightening them a bit but don't be too overzealous - a wrecked string block is significantly more of a pain in the hole to chnge than a string.

wouldnt use elixirs myself - dont like the feel of them and the coating comes off and makes a mess of yer guitar, but i know a few people who swear by 'em.
Juggz
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Nov 2011 Posts: 1336 Location: Under A Lesbian Moon
I've used them for years with Floyds without any of problems you describe. When you put them on, always stretch the strings a few times by pulling them up around the 12th fret or so and retuning before you lock the nut, sounds like you just need to remove any slack you get with new strings.
Andy82
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
So in a nut shell. I still cant put strings on properly. Embarassed
Black Shepherd Carnage
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
16 year Floyd Rose veteran, used Elixir twice, the second time because I was sure that they're being awful the first time was due to lack of attention on my part. Found that even with the normal stretching routine I went through with all string changes the Elixir slipped out more than any other strings I'd ever used. D'addario not that much better - Ernie Ball really were the best I've ever used.

On the other hand I found Elixir's to be perfect for me acoustic, so, y'know, goes to show... eh... something.
disciple23
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I used Elixers once, while they did last a good while i just didnt like the feel of them at all and theyre a fuckin rip off too. I went into my local music shop last week for strings and they only had one, yes one,set of 11's in the whole shop. Kerly Music Sinister strings they were. Slapped the on my axe an i have to say i absolutly love them, real nice feel and you can really attack the string, if youre that way inclined.Had no problems getting them locked into my bridge either. Has anyone used them before?

heres a link for those interested.
http://www.kerlymusic.com/products-electric.php
i am 138
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Black Shepherd Carnage wrote:

On the other hand I found Elixir's to be perfect for me acoustic, so, y'know, goes to show... eh... something.

Same here, cant stand them on electrics (im a D'addario man) but elixirs work an absolute treat on acoustics, wouldn't use anything else at this stage, and the cost is relative given how long they last.
Andy82
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Going to stick with them for a while.

Really like the feel of them and they certainly last a good lot longher than any other strings ive used.
electriceye2012
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
I've used Elixir's for ages but the cost is mad depending where you get them.
You should try Cleartone strings, they are coated but they dont have that plastic feel of Elixirs and they're cheaper but there is not many Irish shops carry them if at all. You can get them from Musicstore or Thomann or from the US. They are much better, last longer and once you properly stretch them especially on Floyd Rose, it can take a few days for them to settle, they are well worth it
electriceye2012
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote
http://www.cleartonestrings.com/

Check out the test they have how longer they last
Juggz
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Nov 2011 Posts: 1336 Location: Under A Lesbian Moon
The problem with a lot of coated strings is that Elixir seem to own the rights to coat the string as a whole. The others coat the wire and then make the string which is invariably shite. With even a basic search it's simple to get Elixirs online for the same price as the shops here charge for standard strings.
Hugh Scully
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
anyone else having trouble finding ghs boomers these days?
skadk666
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 Posts: 2748 Location: Ah hayer, leave it bleedin ouh!
Hugh Scully wrote:
anyone else having trouble finding ghs boomers these days?

http://www.strings.ie/categories/Strings/Electric-Guitar-Strings/GHS-Electric-Guitar-Strings/

Not a great selection there bit it wouldnt take them long to order in the gauges you want if they dont have them in stock.