Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

<  The Irish Metal Forum  ~  Album/Tour/New Trousers fundraiser gigs

Bludgeoning
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Dec 2006 Posts: 1483 Location: Chubby Mature Tube
badmonkey wrote:
Quote:
The labelling of a show as 'fundraiser' doesnt make any difference.

This answers one of my initial questions. Why state it then?

Why not state it? If the band IS in fact doing a new record, it might encourage people WHO ARE INTO THE BAND to go along and support an act who's music they like.

How is this point not sinking in mate? Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Quote:
I wouldn't go to a gig because it's a fundraiser, I'd go if I liked the bands. Knowing that the money I paid in goes towards a band I like going on tour or getting recording done is great.

Bang on the money Steve
badmonkey
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't go to a gig because it's a fundraiser, I'd go if I liked the bands. Knowing that the money I paid in goes towards a band I like going on tour or getting recording done is great.

This kind of emphasises my point. You go to a show because you like the bands who are playing it, not because it is to raise funds. If you like to feel validated for being there because the band tells you what they will use the door money for then fair enough, I personally speaking don't want to know the specifics. I, like most other folks on here, am very aware of the DIY ethic of local bands so by supporting local shows by going to them I am aware that my door money will be used by that band.

Quote:
If the band IS in fact doing a new record, it might encourage people WHO ARE INTO THE BAND to go along and support an act who's music they like.

My argument would be that people who are into the band will come to see you regardless of what you are "raising funds" for.

Quote:
"I like skydiving, so give me money to do a jump to raise funds for cancer research"

and

"I like skydiving, so give me money to go skydiving"

This. The label "fundraiser" is different to "making money to enjoy my hobby".
moose
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
badmonkey wrote:

My argument would be that people who are into the band will come to see you regardless of what you are "raising funds" for.

In an ideal world this would always be the case but real life regularly gets in the way so having a special "fundraising" gig can get those people out who for example have kids so need to get a baby sitter in for the night etc etc.
badmonkey
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean to seem dickish here but honestly how many folk with kids/other reasons for not being at a gig are gonna turn round and say " Well it is a fundraiser, says so on the poster. Maybe we should arrange a babysitter/get my shift covered/save our money so that we can give the band our fiver each, seeing as we know for definite they are spending it on X/Y/Z ". It is effectively a sympathy vote and from the sounds of things a bit of a back slapping exercise between the people who attend. I have no desire to go see a show and think " Ah, I have done my part for the band there " afterward. I go to a show to be entertained and to come away smiling because of how good the show is.
Eoin McLove
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 15482 Location: In the village by the hangman's bay.
Some good arguments being made from both sides here. I have no strong feeling on the subject either way. Tagging a gig as a fundraiser wouldn't make me any more or less likely to go. My own funds and circumstances dictate that. As far as raising funds for recording goes, I think it's a bit of a load of shite at this stage. There are plenty of cheap recording studios that can provide a full and professional production to bands nowadays. Add to that the fact that you can download recording software on to your computer and do it all yourself if you want to be patient and learn the ropes. As Darragh said before, do a demo- it won't cost you a fortune- and go from there. If you're good enough a label will pick up your band and stump up to pay for your album. Touring is a different story but really, you should have enough time to save for flights etc. If you're not completely disorganized?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dr.gonzo
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
[quote="Eoin McLove"]As far as raising funds for recording goes, I think it's a bit of a load of shite at this stage. There are plenty of cheap recording studios that can provide a full and professional production to bands nowadays. Add to that the fact that you can download recording software on to your computer and do it all yourself if you want to be patient and learn the ropes. As Darragh said before, do a demo- it won't cost you a fortune- and go from there. If you're good enough a label will pick up your band and stump up to pay for your album. quote] This is the exact arguement ive been having with my own band for months. But no everything that comes out of ireland sounds like shit we gotta go to poland..my poor wallet:(
anyway yeah more people come when you say fundraiser apparently(i still say its the quality of the bands on the bill but what do i know im irish)
Tiberius Nyarlethotep
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
would have to say that any band taking the initiative and putting whatever funds they can together in whatever way they can (be it fundraiser gigs or the pledge system) are perfectly entitled to do so and probably shouldnt be slammed for it.It doesnt make the work they have to do to achieve whatever they hope to achieve any less hard.just playing shows around ireland for no money and sinking money you dont have into recording/touring etc is grand and very laudable i know,but surely a band helping themselves isnt a bad thing? If people are coming to the shows anyway/buying cds/merch and all then why not fundraise in some way? surely having a public who want to hear you is an indicator that your venture is worth continuing and asking them to support you in some way isnt unreasonable?
just sayin...
Angel of Debt
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Posts: 2651 Location: Carlah Lad....quare sure its Carlah
dr.gonzo wrote:
[ This is the exact arguement ive been having with my own band for months. But no everything that comes out of ireland sounds like shit we gotta go to poland..my poor wallet:(

Your bandmates might wanna actually listen to some Irish releases then, especially the stuff that comes from Komodo and Trackmix.
Thats a seriously bullshit point of view. Sounds more like they just want to say they recorded abroad to thier mates.
Eoin McLove
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 15482 Location: In the village by the hangman's bay.
Yeah, it's a silly attitude to have but I can understand it to a point. There is a certain allure that goes along with recording in a fancy studio with a name producer who has recorded your favourite albums but I think with maturity and confidence a band will come to realise that it may be more worthwhile to find your own sound away from the herd. Look at AOP's albums. They were recorded somewhere in Kerry and it hasn't impacted on their success.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TemplarOfSteel
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 Posts: 7264 Location: High Above The Rolling Waves, In Labyrinths Of Coral Caves...
dr.gonzo wrote:
But no everything that comes out of ireland sounds like shit we gotta go to poland..my poor wallet:(

Really? You obviously didn't look around much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Black Shepherd Carnage
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
If I could just get my oar in here

Alright, carry on.
Overoth
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm seeing this a lot more in recent times but personally what an event is marketed as has little relevance to me. I'll go and see a band if I want to and calling a gig a fundraiser won't affect my decision in any way.
It's not something I'd do myself. If Overoth were low on funds and we were about to record/tour/whatever we'd stump the cash up ourselves somehow and if that meant playing a few gigs we'd book a few shows with good bands that will hopefully draw a good attendance.
At the end of the day people go out to see a few bands and have a good night and where any gig is concerned, I really doubt they think too much about where their admission money is going.

Despite my personal thoughts on it I can see why bands do it and in a way calling a gig a fundraiser has additional benefits to just raising funds, it's also marketing the fact the band is planning on a new release.