Page 378 of 381
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 377, 378, 379, 380, 381  Next

<  MI Users Confront The Wider World  ~  Film

blahblahbleh
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Dark Stranger wrote:
Watched Hellraiser 8 (yes, EIGHT) the other night and it was just as utterly shit as the preceding 5. Can't get over how a director can take a monster movie substitute the monster for a Cenobite and blam - Hellraiser movie. Only the first and second ones are worth a damn.

You seen cabin in the woods yet?
polymer
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Jan 2006 Posts: 1561 Location: Hakushu Distillery
i am 138 wrote:
Has this been discussed here yet? Total Remake trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWMhADqlPYg

still no confirmation of triple tits sadly.

Rolling Eyes

Certain films should NEVER be remade, or sullied with 'prequels' and/or unwanted, irrelevant 'sequels'. Total Recall is definitely one of these.

The original is a cult classic; it looks great even today. Farrell in Arnie's shoes..? C'mon.
Disgorging Legion
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Posts: 2189 Location: Selling a load of dvds/blu-ray's - Check Sales & Trades!
Don't get the big problem people have with remakes/sequels what not. There's usually good reason for them to be made - that reason being people wanting to spend money on it to see it. If people stop going to them, then they stop being made.
Taranis
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Posts: 1901 Location: Inis, An Clįr/Cambridge, UK/Heidelberg, Germany
A Total Recall remake completely snuck under my radar. Is nothing sacred??? The original, as has already been said, still is a great film, and one I watch about once every 18 months or so. The remake looks a bit shit from the trailer, ould Colin's acting looks a bit suspect, but at least there is a bit of totty in in, although that is scant consolation.
I can't believe that there is a Hellraiser 8, mad. I thought the third one was OK, Armoured Saint get butchered in it if I remember correctly, but the first two are where it's at.
pentagrimes
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Aug 2005 Posts: 5543 Location: as far away from you as humanly possible
blahblahbleh wrote:
Just back from Cabin in the woods. Masterpiece and a genius piece of social commentary.

I'll come back to you on the social commentary bit, but man, what an enjoyable film. Most fun movie I've seen in a long time, total entertainment and brilliantly done.
polymer
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Jan 2006 Posts: 1561 Location: Hakushu Distillery
Disgorging Legion wrote:
Don't get the big problem people have with remakes/sequels what not. There's usually good reason for them to be made - that reason being people wanting to spend money on it to see it. If people stop going to them, then they stop being made.

Remakes that add to the original or expand on themes/visuals that maybe weren't possible for the original, due to its era/budget constraints are interesting (The Hills Have Eyes, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Ring - first that spring to mind - are good examples).

Remakes and sequels/prequels, such as this, though (and the recent The Thing prequel) are completely redundant, lazy exercises.

Apart from the visuals, this Total Recall remake looks very clunky.
Disgorging Legion
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Posts: 2189 Location: Selling a load of dvds/blu-ray's - Check Sales & Trades!
Yeah but what I'm saying is that you don't have to watch them and the remakes/sequels being made don't sully the original. Quick example off the top of my head would be The Vanishing. It did not matter one iota that this got an American remake.
Caller of the Black
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 3115 Location: in cold water with disinfectant
I agree. I'd make the comparison with a new production of a play, which nobody would ever object to. Why not let another writer/director have a crack at a particular story?* It doesn't detract from the original and you're not forced to watch it anyway. It might even be good.

*(I am aware that 99% of these endeavours are purely commercial, as prequels/sequels/remakes/reboots are essentially money in the bag for the studios)
disciple23
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I suppose if anything, all these crappy remakes are re-igniting interest in the originals which can only be a good thing. I havent watched any of the recent remakes/prequels/sequels and nor will I but take Total Recall for example, I havnt seen that in yonks but upon hearing about the remake ill probably go ahead and watch the original again now. So i guess what im saying is that if the remakes encourage people who may not have seen the original to go an check them out, I'm all for it........in an ideal world of course.

Also,lest we forget, Prometheus falls into the remake/prequel/sequel catagory. No complaints there! (Largly due to the probability of awesomeness!)
Disgorging Legion
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Money that's then used by that studio to fund something not as 'certain'.
Hitler II
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
all these sequels,prequels,remakes,reimaginings,retoolings are just studios trying to eliminate the probability of a failed production by giving you something you have already seen countless times before. i cant remember the last time i watched a new flick coz they seem to bore the shite out of me. i am aware there are some good flicks flying under the radar at the minute. im just talking about the bloated hollywood blockbuster machine. do we really need a new spiderman trilogy? Batman? Transformers?

think i will stick with some late 80s/early 90s sci fi schlok til the raid and prometheus show up. prometheus i will forgive because its in the hands of a master
DM666
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Mel Gibson is at again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/apr/19/mel-gibson-joe-eszterhas-recording?fb=optOut
Shunyata
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 Posts: 1442 Location: Let's get fucked up
He really can't handle his drink I guess.
Shunyata
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 Posts: 1442 Location: Let's get fucked up
Just watched I saw the devil. Fuck me, it makes Hostel look like a kid's tea party.
disciple23
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Shunyata wrote:
Just watched I saw the devil. Fuck me, it makes Hostel look like a kid's tea party.

quality film that,I must watch i again though to refresh my memory