Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

<  The Irish Metal Forum  ~  Album/Tour/New Trousers fundraiser gigs

badmonkey
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed a lot of shows recently advertising the gig as a fundraising exercise. I don't have a problem with it as such but having played in bands was always of the mindset that every payed show you play is for the band fund be that to buy instruments, transportation, studio time etc. My question is simply why do bands advertise certain gigs as fundraisers? Is it an attempt to get a few heads in who may not have been interested by your band before but who might be sympathetic to the bands lack of recording funds? Would also like to know if any bands who have done gigs like this have had any significant increase in numbers by advertising the show as such.
H
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 11061 Location: www.dme-promotions.com.com
Aye, seems to be becoming a new fad alright. Fairly pitiful in my opinion. Is it a tactic to try to sell sympathy tickets?
GOATLORD
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I think it has more chance of doing the opposite? I go to a gig because I want to see a band play, if they are putting that towards an album great but I dont think the gig goer (careful not to use punter incase H kicks me hole) needs to know that or cares. In times of recession being so blatant as give me your money so that I can further my cause may backfire with a fuck you I am away to spend my cash on pints and wax.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
badmonkey
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I am of a similar opinion myself in that I find it a little feeble of a band to try to raise attendance this way and it has put me off gigs before. At local level gig goers generally know of the DIY nature of the bands involved so I just dont get why the bands feel the need to come across so....needy.
scald666
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
doesn't any gig a band plays for money raise funds?

either for recording or pissing up against a wall does it make any difference to the ticket buyer?
*The Dead*
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
We did one back in September to help with the financial downfalls of having just recorded an album and an impending tour abroad at the time...

I don't see a problem with it, it was an honest reflection of the event. It was also an effort to advertise our new release locally with a live show

Its a bit like an 'album launch' I suppose, its an effort to gather a few extra heads who are willing to put extra effort into attending an event, knowing they are helping a band that they like out in some way.

From our point of view it worked. It was a pretty successful night with lots of heads in who I hadn't seen at a gig in awhile who otherwise probably wouldn't have bothered.

are the titles 'album fundraiser' or 'tour fundraiser' too needy or something? Do people think its a band saying 'look at us, we're fucking great?' I don't understand it as a feeble attempt to gather a bigger audience, especially when its coupled with other honest methods and efforts to promote a show

To me, its simply an honest reflection of one of the things a band might need to do to finance themselves.
badmonkey
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. It is not the same to have an album launch, where you are selling something you have already raised funds for for the first time, as it is to have a gig billed as something to raise funds specifically so you can go and record a cd. They in fact are complete opposites. I get that it's an honest reflection of circumstances but to be honest I feel it's stating the obvious. Does that mean that every local gig should be slapped with the "fundraiser" tag as it will inevitably contribute to a band's touring/recording/existing/eating fund? I can only say that seeing the word fundraiser on a poster does not make me any more likely to go to a show and in fact the needy nature of it puts me off. I wouldn't expect it bring in anyone who takes your band on musical merit, rather guys who you work with, friends of friends, guys you aint seen in years which looks good on the night but doesn't further the band in my opinion as these people will go back to not caring about your band after they give you charity.
Ariaga 2
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
What's worse, in my opinion are the campaigns to get people to cough up funds in order to get your album recorded. There are sites dedicated to it now sure Kickstartmyproject etc and I come across it on facebook all the time.

I'm sorry, but the onus is not on the punter to get the album recorded. I know there's usually an album in it for any subscribers but I still think the artist is responsible for financing said recording in the first place.
MULLAN Extraordinaire
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
I think it's even worse when bands put on gigs called "fundraiser for us to tour Brazil" or some other part of the world where Irish bands will make absolutely no difference to the metal scene.
What impact has an Irish band really made by staging these types of gigs?

An Irish band trying to tour Brazil (or some other mad country 10000 miles away) might be better off getting a good UK tour under their belts and even some Euro shows. The likes of Holland and Germany for example. It's not hard to get shows there.
Juggz
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Nov 2011 Posts: 1336 Location: Under A Lesbian Moon
Ariaga 2 wrote:
What's worse, in my opinion are the campaigns to get people to cough up funds in order to get your album recorded. There are sites dedicated to it now sure Kickstartmyproject etc and I come across it on facebook all the time.

I'm sorry, but the onus is not on the punter to get the album recorded. I know there's usually an album in it for any subscribers but I still think the artist is responsible for financing said recording in the first place.
Symbyosis had a subscription deal for their last album, you bought the album before it was recorded and that paid for the recording and manufacture, you got a signed CD at the end of it all before the general release. They did it all on their own site and it was clear they were putting a fuckload of work into the whole thing. I thought that was a fine way to do things, to be honest. It didn't smack of desperation, just common sense. All you were paying for was your CD at a reasonable price.

The kickstart or pledge stuff, I agree with you, where you can buy the singers used touring underpants at a ridiculously high price or have dinner with the band or some other guff from what is almost like a charity site full of needy whiny bands trying to get you to pay over the odds - that shit annoys me.
Invictus
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Mar 2007 Posts: 8457 Location: Into The Void Records
What I find fare more ridiculous is that small bands actually think that recording 8-9 songs is 'recording an album'. At this early stage in your existence/career, focussing on the best 3-4 songs you have, honing them and recording them for a DEMO is what should be happening. How many people do you think will really want an 'album' worth of material from a new band that hasn't gotten past playing to their mates and girlfriends? It may sound better saying you're recording an album but no matter how many times you say it, it won't make it anymore real or true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hellvomit
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that really makes me cringe. Fuck off with your "album", nobody's interested, not even your mates or birds, and the handful of people who buy it will probably listen to a bit of it once and never again anyway. It's almost as gay as the fancy press releases bands put out, talking about themselves as "they" instead of "we" etc. Have a bit of a sense of reality about yourselves.
Invictus
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Mar 2007 Posts: 8457 Location: Into The Void Records
Padre Pio
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 25 May 2007 Posts: 6867 Location: The great omnipotent goat sits on the pentagram
Hellvomit wrote:
Yeah, that really makes me cringe. Fuck off with your "album", nobody's interested, not even your mates or birds, and the handful of people who buy it will probably listen to a bit of it once and never again anyway. It's almost as gay as the fancy press releases bands put out, talking about themselves as "they" instead of "we" etc. Have a bit of a sense of reality about yourselves.

And posting a "statement" when a band member leaves, almost invariably mentioning that they remain friends with the former member.
pentagrimes
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Aug 2005 Posts: 5543 Location: as far away from you as humanly possible
Not a huge fan of these things myself (though my last band did one last year as a we were screwed on ferry tickets for tour and didn't have any more money ourselves to put up for it). But to go back to the "every paying gig you play is a fundraiser" point earlier, which I 100% agree with, I think the reality is that bands are doing this because maybe they're just not being paid that much for gigs?

Tell you what really fucks me off about these things though: you're doing an "album fundraiser",yeah?So I'm paying you money towards recording/releasing your album?Grand. But you fucking better be giving me a copy of it the second it's done because as far as I'm concerned I've already paid for it.