Page 2 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

<  MI Users Confront The Wider World  ~  Smartphone & tablet technology

Decay
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
I really like the look of the new Dell "Streak". I'll definitely checking it out when its released with Android 2.2.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/06/dell-streak-review/
Squire
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jan 2006 Posts: 2067 Location: Trapped in the tunnel of goats
I've the Nexus One and it's excellent. Only problem I've found with the "phone" is that it's more of a computer than it is a phone. There are basic functionalities that should work but don't.

Example: Set the alarm, when it goes off, set it to snooze. While the snooze is on, reset the alarm to another time. The alarm will go off at the previous time instead of the newly set time.

If you did that on any other phone, it would work the way you want. But it doesn't on Android.

At times, I kind of wish I bought a phone with a physical keypad. I find touching a piece of plastic / glass to become very irritating. Also, smudges on the screen can prevent the touchscreen from recognising your finger.
Byron
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Posts: 2936 Location: Somewhere complaining about something
I bought a Nokia 5800 there a few months ago. It's my first entry into the world of smartphones and being the massive nerd that I am, I love it. It might be a tad bit dated now, what with the Android and now the 4th gen Iphone on the way, but it more than does the job.
AndyA
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Squigz wrote:
Granted I don't know O2 UK tariffs but I'd say that she gets fuck all of an allocation of minutes off network and her calls to O2 might be only free on the weekends. I'd get her to check it out to be honest!

She has had her 2nd bill in already. 600 mins, unlimited fecking everything else 15 a month and two year contract Shocked

Also I had a play with an N900 thought it was a cracking piece of kit but dunno where meamo is heading.
Squigz
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Jun 2005 Posts: 6365 Location: On the Road to the Gravegarden
AndyA wrote:
Squigz wrote:
Granted I don't know O2 UK tariffs but I'd say that she gets fuck all of an allocation of minutes off network and her calls to O2 might be only free on the weekends. I'd get her to check it out to be honest!

She has had her 2nd bill in already. 600 mins, unlimited fecking everything else 15 a month and two year contract Shocked

Also I had a play with an N900 thought it was a cracking piece of kit but dunno where meamo is heading.

Jesus, that's serious value - nice one!

Given that this about tablets aswell, does anyone here own an iPad? And if so, how would you rate it above a standard netbook?
Bane
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Decay wrote:
I really like the look of the new Dell "Streak". I'll definitely checking it out when its released with Android 2.2.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/06/dell-streak-review/

The Streak looks killer alright! Actually Dell are releasing 3-4 stellar looking handsets this year.

Did anyone pay any attention to the iPhone 4 launch? I have to say, I'm impressed. The announcements were all a bit predictable but it's a serious piece of hardware. I seen Engadget's demo of the video calling and it looked extremely fluid. The screen resolution is outstanding but they didn't increase the 3.5" screen?? Weird. Anyway, I've just been going by blog posts so I'm going to start playing back the actual Jobs keynote in a little while.

One thing that disappointed me was the lack of... well, what I can only describe as little nuggets of "wow". Android 2.2 unveiled things like the cloud-to-device messaging API, the ported V8 Javascript engine and the wi-fi hotspot tethering. These things genuinely got me excited (as pathetic as that sounds) whereas the iOS 4 announcement was, as mentioned, all too predictable. Still, loyal iPhone users ought to be happy.
Bane
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Squigz wrote:
Given that this about tablets aswell, does anyone here own an iPad? And if so, how would you rate it above a standard netbook?

I met a lot of people at a conference in Dublin 4 weeks with iPads. It wasn't long released at that stage so they must have been fairly on the ball. I got to play around with one and it was nice but there's no way in hell I'll fork over 600+ for one when they eventually get released here in July. The difference between them and regular netbooks is quite obvious - one is a lightweight laptop, the other is an oversized iPod Touch. To be fair it's a lot more versatile than an iPod Touch and it certainly has more uses but it's impossible not to draw the comparison.
H
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 11061 Location: www.dme-promotions.com.com
See he couldn't connect to wifi during the speech? Pretty funny.
Bane
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I just remembered, I was sitting close to this one guy at the same conference during one of the first morning sessions. He had his Macbook Pro lying on the table infront of him. He was taking notes on it. He put it back in his bag half way through the session and took out an iPad. Spent another 20 minutes taking notes/Tweeting on it before he put THAT back in his bag and took out his iPhone. Either each of his devices had 20 minutes of battery time or else he wanted to make it perfectly clear that he was a smug Apple fanboy. My money's on the latter.
Bane
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
H wrote:

Laughing I seen a screenshot of it earlier today. I'll start watching the keynote straight after I'm finished watching Big Bang Theory.
Squigz
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Jun 2005 Posts: 6365 Location: On the Road to the Gravegarden
Bane wrote:
Squigz wrote:

I met a lot of people at a conference in Dublin 4 weeks with iPads. It wasn't long released at that stage so they must have been fairly on the ball. I got to play around with one and it was nice but there's no way in hell I'll fork over 600+ for one when they eventually get released here in July. The difference between them and regular netbooks is quite obvious - one is a lightweight laptop, the other is an oversized iPod Touch. To be fair it's a lot more versatile than an iPod Touch and it certainly has more uses but it's impossible not to draw the comparison.

Kind of what I thought I suppose.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/08/iphone_4/

VF and O2 UK are quick off the mark with this, as they should be.
Bane
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Vodafone Ireland have announced they too will be stocking the iPhone 4... in the coming months. Playing second fiddle to the UK as always.
Squire
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Bane wrote:
H wrote:

Laughing I seen a screenshot of it earlier today. I'll start watching the keynote straight after I'm finished watching Big Bang Theory.

This is by far your nerdiest post ever!
Bane
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
I've become hooked on it the past couple of weeks. Silly TV, but addictive.

Here's a couple of interesting TechCrunch articles on iPhone 4. The first is from an Android users perspective, the second from an iPhone lover's.
Squire
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
Was just playing with the new Windows Phone and it's actually very impressive. The UI to it is very simple, however the OS on it is in a fairly early stage. The other phones had a more updated version however. I never got hold of those as they belonged to the MS lads.

Sticking with Android for the moment though. Looking forward to the next OS update to see what goodies they've included.