Page 3 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

<  MI Users Confront The Wider World  ~  Smartphone & tablet technology

Creeping RM Death
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Interesting thread.

My phone is due for upgrade this week, infact im heading off to town to have a wee nosey in about an hours time.

Im using a Nokia E71 at the moment and its pretty much perfect for work. I toyed with the idea of getting a Blackberry but iv got my emails coming into my phone at the minute, wifi access. Pretty much does what i need a phone to do. These new phones do look pretty cool but im not a fan of touch screens, i prefer to have my qwerty keyboard on my phone. Is it worth just sticking with what iv got already? Im not one of these i need to keep up with cool tech trends type of people so the phone would suffice anyway.
Bane
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
You've more or less answered your own question there Corey. The E71 is a good phone and (provided it does everything you want at this moment in time) you may be better off sticking with it. In saying that, there's no harm in taking a look around. What features would you say are essential in a phone?? What do you primarily use it for?
Creeping RM Death
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i know im kinda answering my question really. Im just in two minds. i dont want to stick with it just because im happy with it and theres no problems if there is something similar but just that little bit better on the market if you get my drift.

I pretty much use it as business phone, emails and such being the most imporant thing on it for me. It already has office and pdf applications so its handy in that respect.

Im pretty much out of the loop in regards to phone tech stuff these days. Are there any other phones similar to this that are just that bit better and worth taking the change for?
ColinDaysofNight
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone got any experience with the Samsung Wave? Running its own OS, Bada I think its called but supposed to be pretty decent. Also,has anyone any experience with the 3 network, it was with them I was looking at the phone and for 49 p/m you get 700 minutes or texts, which can be used to ring certain EU countries also which is what appeals to me even more,as most of my calls are international. Any opinions on 3, any help much appreciated! Very Happy
Analjackknife
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I recently got an iphone 3gs and although its a great phone I don't like that i'm locked into Apple. It even locks you in Apple Ire for apps and blocks some of the new U.S ones. Can see myself changin next year but then I lose all my apps Sad
Old Season Dermod
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Posts: 214 Location: Co. Kildare, Ireland.
Anyone able to give me the skinny on buying the HTC desire without getting into a contract? I have a company phone (brick) so I'd just want to slot the sim into the new phone...
Tazz
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
In the course of my day-to-day work I've been doing a lot of investigative research into Apple and their pricing and marketing policies. All I'll say is get an Android. Forget Apple and all their iPhone marketing bullshit and walled garden.

Apple are a complete rip-off. You're basically buying over-priced products that they ensure will be obsolete within a year.
nev_crucifracture
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 Posts: 720 Location: kilkenny / Out the drummer
[quote="Old Season Dermod"]Anyone able to give me the skinny on buying the HTC desire without getting into a contract? I have a company phone (brick) so I'd just want to slot the sim into the new phone...[/quote

I recently bought the HTC hero as a bit of a graduation present to myself on Meteor pay as you go.
I cant recommend it enough, obviously the phone is pricey at the (300quid range) but i think oh so worth it.
As far as i can say, this is the best piece of technology I've ever bought. Not a day goes by really where i don't find some new functionality that impresses me.
One of the best things is the customizable home screen manager. Im using OpenHome, which cost 2 quid, but my god its just deadly,there are so many open source alternatives as well and each are fairly unique to the next.
Old Season Dermod
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Posts: 214 Location: Co. Kildare, Ireland.
[quote="nev_crucifracture"]
Old Season Dermod wrote:
Anyone able to give me the skinny on buying the HTC desire without getting into a contract? I have a company phone (brick) so I'd just want to slot the sim into the new phone...[/quote

I recently bought the HTC hero as a bit of a graduation present to myself on Meteor pay as you go.
I cant recommend it enough, obviously the phone is pricey at the (300quid range) but i think oh so worth it.
As far as i can say, this is the best piece of technology I've ever bought. Not a day goes by really where i don't find some new functionality that impresses me.
One of the best things is the customizable home screen manager. Im using OpenHome, which cost 2 quid, but my god its just deadly,there are so many open source alternatives as well and each are fairly unique to the next.

So it's just a case of buying a pay as you go phone and sticking my company phone SIM into it? My company is with O2 so would I have to get an O2 pay as you go phone then? Excuse the ignorance, but the last time I bought a phone was 12 years ago.
Squigz
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Jun 2005 Posts: 6365 Location: On the Road to the Gravegarden
Exactly Dermod, though you may need to change the package that you are on so that you can get a data-package so that your bills won't skyrocket cause of increased internet usage on your handset. You'll probably need your employer's permission to put a request like that through, whether they do, or don't pay your bill.
>>UniBr0w<<
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Jun 2005 Posts: 1664 Location: On a small world, west of wonder.
Thought I might chance my arm in this thread.

I cracked my iPhone 3Gs LCD dispaly a few months ago. At first it was barely noticeable but another short fall finished the job. I opted to replace it myself as it is a relatively easy task. Only thing is, I was hasty and damaged the connector on the logic board for connection 3. Connection 3 handles the ear speaker, light sensor and proximity sensor.

After putting it back together I was left with a blank screen. It lights-up slightly when home or sleep are pressed, but the touch panel is unresponsive. Every other function works... Silence switch, volume control, headphone jack, bottom mic and speaker, etc (I can get music to play using voice control, for example). Basically, you know when you raise the phone to your ear during a call and the screen disables so as to prevent you from accidentally pressing buttons? It's as if the phone is stuck in that state.

I've emailed around to different Irish repair centers - all of whom *promise* a 24 hr response - but no-one has gotten back to me yet. Only one of the repair sites I've found (in the UK) mentions the specific repair I need (and thus a price: http://www.parts4ipods.com/epages/es115703.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es115703_shop/Products/28554[1]) but I'd much prefer to get more than one estimate before proceeding.

Does anyone know a good repair place closer to home? I'd obviously like to get this done asap. Need another fecking LCD display too as I cracked the new one when disassembling it a second time. Not a happy bunny...

Cheers lads.
wez_wildheart
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
anyone with an iPhone 3G having any difficulties using the phone with the OS4 update? i am increasingly infuriated by its lack of response and the constant freeze of everything from apps to text messaging

thinking of going to an HTC Desire after having a look at a friends also factoring in my own problems
Analjackknife
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
wez_wildheart wrote:
anyone with an iPhone 3G having any difficulties using the phone with the OS4 update? i am increasingly infuriated by its lack of response and the constant freeze of everything from apps to text messaging..

Upgraded mine yesterday and all appears to be working ok? Some of the new features are great.
wez_wildheart
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Analjackknife wrote:
wez_wildheart wrote:
anyone with an iPhone 3G having any difficulties using the phone with the OS4 update? i am increasingly infuriated by its lack of response and the constant freeze of everything from apps to text messaging..

Upgraded mine yesterday and all appears to be working ok? Some of the new features are great.

bugger off and stop rubbing it in Laughing Laughing

in all seriousness though i have heard for some people it has been fine and for others it has been a nightmare. glad to hear your update worked ok though!!
Bane
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I got my 2.2 (Froyo) Android update for my HTC Desire yesterday. First impressions - awesome. The phone was quite fast before but now it's positively lightning fast. Previously, clicking into "Manage Applications" would result in a 15-20 second wait while the phone compiled a list of everything installed. Now it's instant. It's brilliant being able to install/move apps onto the SD card as well, although the app developer must first enable this feature so 80% of the ones on my phone are still residing on internal storage until the developers pull their fingers out.

The wireless hotspot capabilities seem to be working fine on my phone too. I have a feeling the Froyo update came directly from HTC and not Vodafone as it doesn't seem to be locked down at all.. ?? I haven't tested it out fully, but it's weird.

HTC bundled a couple of new apps with the update too, a flashlight being the most useful. Instead of just turning the screen brightness to 100% and changing the colour to white (like previous apps or even on the iPhone), this flashlight app actually uses the flash of the camera. There are 3-4 levels of luminosity and I can see it coming in useful for when I try and find my way back to my tent at various festivals...

So yeah, things like cloud-to-device messaging haven't really been utilised just yet and I haven't had a chance to check out any Web sites to test Flash 10.1 but so far Froyo is a godsend to an already perfect phone. Class.