Page 1 of 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Author Message

<  Music Gear  ~  Guitarists - What's your weapon of choice?

Leather Mike
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Sep 2008 Posts: 2827
What's the single best guitar in your opinion that you've ever owned?

I'm not looking a list thread, rather a discussion about the reasons why a certain guitar was your favorite. Maybe it's an old one that you had to part company with and still pine for, or the mainstay of your current arsenal - what's your favorite and why?

For me, it's a toss-up between my Epiphone Standard with upgraded pickups and a birdseye maple top and my Gibson LP. the of them have had the action set exactly to my liking and are top-notch pieces of kit. Fast, fluid action and unbelievable sounds What's yours and why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Doctor J
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Jun 2006 Posts: 1168 Location: Gurt
Bacchus Empire. It's the mutts nuts. While it is a dual humbuckered Floyd Rose style guitar, it has very firmly retained its strat heritage which I like a lot. The previous title holder was my old Iommi Eggle but after doing an A-B test while recording our first demo, the Bacchus just shaded it in tone too.
View user's profile Send private message
Byron
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Posts: 2936 Location: Somewhere complaining about something
My current Epiphone Les Paul with EMGS in it. There were only 500 made and I picked it up for 300. I love the neck on it. It's a nice and slim 60's neck and it sounds great. It blows any Les Paul Studio i've played out of the water.
View user's profile Send private message
moose
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Jan 2007 Posts: 926
Battered 90s Gibson SG with Spurzel locking tuners and sanded neck. I've always been a fan of the low profile/light sg bodies and Gibson necks in general. The reason I like the low profile light body is mostly because I'm a bass player so when I play guitar I reckon I shouldn't have to deal with any weight at all...

Also the wider flat gibson style fretboards are easier for my bass playing hands to get around without fumbling too much.

This is also the best guitar I've owned although I may have had loans of better stuff, nothing really compares.
View user's profile Send private message
connorputrefy
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Posts: 2571
toss up between my ibanez universe, because its lethal. period
and my christian olde wolbers jackson 7, its mahogony and its the lightest guitar ever?! go figure? it plays the absolute business, that and i got it for free as of yesterday
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Leather Mike
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Sep 2008 Posts: 2827
Byron wrote:
My current Epiphone Les Paul with EMGS in it. There were only 500 made and I picked it up for 300. I love the neck on it. It's a nice and slim 60's neck and it sounds great. It blows any Les Paul Studio i've played out of the water.


what type is it? thinking it might be the les paul "menace," am i near?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Byron
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Posts: 2936 Location: Somewhere complaining about something
Leather Mike wrote:
Byron wrote:
My current Epiphone Les Paul with EMGS in it. There were only 500 made and I picked it up for 300. I love the neck on it. It's a nice and slim 60's neck and it sounds great. It blows any Les Paul Studio i've played out of the water.


what type is it? thinking it might be the les paul "menace," am i near?


No. You're thinking of the Prophecy series. The Prophecyy is the one that succeeded my one, which is the Les Paul Midnight Special. Personally I prefer how my one looks over the Prophecy.

Here's a pic of the Prophecy.



And here's a pic of my one.

View user's profile Send private message
Mazzy Maz
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Sep 2008 Posts: 1661 Location: http://bit.ly/QahY0C
It's my made in Japan ESP Horizon for me. Love the ebony fretboard, genuinely makes the guitar more fun to play.

has all my "must have" features in one guitar, namely:
- tune-o-matic bridge
- string through body
- mohogany thru neck and body
- ebony fretboard
- sperzel locking tuners

sexy as fook!

Only imperfection is that it has 2 x EMG81s which are grand, but not quite what my ear desires.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Leather Mike
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Sep 2008 Posts: 2827
Byron wrote:
Leather Mike wrote:
Byron wrote:
My current Epiphone Les Paul with EMGS in it. There were only 500 made and I picked it up for 300. I love the neck on it. It's a nice and slim 60's neck and it sounds great. It blows any Les Paul Studio i've played out of the water.


what type is it? thinking it might be the les paul "menace," am i near?


No. You're thinking of the Prophecy series. The Prophecyy is the one that succeeded my one, which is the Les Paul Midnight Special. Personally I prefer how my one looks over the Prophecy.

Here's a pic of the Prophecy.



And here's a pic of my one.



oh you jammy fucker!!! i'd near trade my gibbo for one of those! that said, the prophecy is a nice guitar too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Byron
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Posts: 2936 Location: Somewhere complaining about something
Leather Mike wrote:
Byron wrote:
Leather Mike wrote:
Byron wrote:
My current Epiphone Les Paul with EMGS in it. There were only 500 made and I picked it up for 300. I love the neck on it. It's a nice and slim 60's neck and it sounds great. It blows any Les Paul Studio i've played out of the water.


what type is it? thinking it might be the les paul "menace," am i near?


No. You're thinking of the Prophecy series. The Prophecyy is the one that succeeded my one, which is the Les Paul Midnight Special. Personally I prefer how my one looks over the Prophecy.

Here's a pic of the Prophecy.



And here's a pic of my one.



oh you jammy fucker!!! i'd near trade my gibbo for one of those! that said, the prophecy is a nice guitar too


I know!! I remember when they were on thomann about 2 years ago and they were selling for 700 or more. The guy I bought it off just didn't want it anymore hence the low selling price. Score!
View user's profile Send private message
fonniewhelan
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Posts: 153
Mine has to be my Ibanez JS1000 Joe Satirani signature in white, which I bought new when I lived in the US.

It is by far the best looking and most comfortable guitar I have ever seen and played...amazing stuff!!!
View user's profile Send private message
mb502
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 May 2008 Posts: 860 Location: Dublin
I've owned a lot of Jackson guitars myself.

My favorite to play would have to be the KV 1, really fast neck. Super low action and love the feel of the Kahler fixed bridge.

One guitar that I sold that I wish I could get back would be a white Jackson KE 1 which I ebay'd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
All I Had I Gave
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Sep 2006 Posts: 3923 Location: Ireland
2 x Standard Gibson SG's, cherry and black

An Ibanez RG550, maple fret board, DiMarzio Breeds in the neck and bridge

What I want to get is a Les Paul Gold top and a Yamaha SG 2000 in black with faded binding

If I cant find both of those, editions from the 70's ill be happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Andromalius
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Oct 2009 Posts: 117 Location: Cork
My ESP Viper is the only real high end guitar I've owned so it's a bit of an easy answer for me.
I was recently surprised by trying an Ibanez destroyer TT700 , so much that I bought it. Fretwork is so-so but it sounds real good, as Ibanez put di marzios deactivator Xs in it which go very well with the mahogany body, so no need to swap pups out of the box like in 95% of Ibanez.
Only real downside: it weighs a ton.

(the ESP is for sale, I need a floyd rose guitar in the end)
View user's profile Send private message
Locks
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 939 Location: Dublin
i really don't know where people are coming from saying either of those epiphones are nicer than a les paul studio!

they're not even in the same ball park, playability wise or sound wise!

granted gibson have diminshed quality in their lower ranges but the les paul studios are still great guitars!

anyway, back on topic!
my gibson les paul standard faded is my favourite, even better than my 1976 les paul custom!

the burstbuckers are the nicest sweetest sounding pups i've ever heard and couple with the chambered body it has a lovely full, warm sounding range! i think the chambered body gives it lovely acoustics!
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Jump to:  

Post new topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum